This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guys, Smogon was not the only one hacked, Serebii and Bulbapedia were too

#31Serebii from SPPPosted 7/2/2013 6:11:37 AM
iGenesis posted...
muttal posted...

Site costs are paid with just that?

yup. that's perfectly plausible with serebii's traffic.

bulbapedia isn't far behind and is LITTERED with ads, so you can imagine the $100000+ figure.

even bigger site: neogaf. it's just a forum, no site content. the forums have just one banner ad at the top and one banner ad between the first and second post of each topic. they're not well-targeted ads (I saw one for AT&T phone service and another for an online university - in other words, not products & services that interest typical gamers.) the 28 year old dude who runs it has been working from home since 2006 and claims to have rejected 8 figure (USD) buyout offers.

Yep that sounds plausible. I've rejected a 7 figure buyout offer, along with many others. I don't see a future where I'd sell my site. I'm not disillusioned with it yet :p I know that several other Pokémon sites have sold out, but I will not.

It's not about the money, it's about helping the entire fandom to bring news :)
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#32zantxPosted 7/2/2013 7:10:53 AM
Serebii from SPP posted...
iGenesis posted...
muttal posted...

bulbapedia isn't far behind and is LITTERED with ads, so you can imagine the $100000+ figure.

even bigger site: neogaf. it's just a forum, no site content. the forums have just one banner ad at the top and one banner ad between the first and second post of each topic. they're not well-targeted ads (I saw one for AT&T phone service and another for an online university - in other words, not products & services that interest typical gamers.) the 28 year old dude who runs it has been working from home since 2006 and claims to have rejected 8 figure (USD) buyout offers.

Yep that sounds plausible. I've rejected a 7 figure buyout offer, along with many others. I don't see a future where I'd sell my site. I'm not disillusioned with it yet :p I know that several other Pokémon sites have sold out, but I will not.

I just made an account to say how kind of a gesture that is, putting the fandom ahead of money. Thanks Serebii! :)
#33Sword_of_DuskPosted 7/2/2013 7:19:59 AM
iGenesis posted...
muttal posted...

Wow, dude. That's pretty heartwarming. Allow me to offer you my thanks for doing it for the fans.
---
The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over.
#34BurningFlareXPosted 7/2/2013 7:25:45 AM

Earth needs more people like you.
---
I hate everything.
#35Serebii from SPPPosted 7/2/2013 8:31:13 AM
No need to thank me. I thank you all of you for sticking with it :) It's always nice to see positivity rather than the bile I get in some corners of the net.
---
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#36bassyuraPosted 7/2/2013 11:19:50 PM
No need to thank me. I thank you all of you for sticking with it :) It's always nice to see positivity rather than the bile I get in some corners of the net.

Microsoft can learn a thing or two from you.
---
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!
#37bararad13Posted 7/3/2013 2:15:52 AM
keep it up !
your site is a hugh asset to us pokefans!
#38spooky96Posted 7/3/2013 2:24:52 AM
This attack will certainly have a significant effect on Smogon's traffic for at least a month or two ._.
#39Serebii from SPPPosted 7/3/2013 2:29:12 AM
spooky96 posted...
This attack will certainly have a significant effect on Smogon's traffic for at least a month or two ._.

Na, once they're back up, they'll have a burst of people back in and it'll resolve to normal. That's how it happened with me after 6 months downtime in 2002
---
#40iGenesisPosted 7/3/2013 2:39:04 AM(edited)

Did they base their 7 figure buyout offer on actual revenue / income figures obtained from you, or just based on what they know about your site's history and popularity / traffic?
---
GameFAQs.com: You make the content; CBS makes the money
http://lueshi.info/Nintendo_Series_Tier_List.gif | http://lueshi.info/Mario_Zelda_Tier_List.gif