This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So if sun had decent users of its abilities would it be better then rain

#21RTC3Posted 7/2/2013 9:15:38 AM
he might get amnestied doe
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.
#22Oblivion_HeroPosted 7/2/2013 9:20:48 AM
And Howard's leaving. He'll be trying to follow in the footsteps of Shaq, requiring his next stop to be...Miami.

Orlando -> Lakers -> Miami -> Phoenix -> Cleveland -> Boston iirc
---
You can't call him out for being wrong when he never intended to be right - Stephen Colbert
"Bad Mojo" is not a diagnosis - Dr. Foreman, House, M.D.
#23RTC3Posted 7/2/2013 9:25:48 AM
he's staying bruh. i'll make a prediction topic about it on the nba board when the time is right
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.
#24ClassyOldHatPosted 7/2/2013 11:20:11 AM
carpediempimp posted...
Sun just doesn't take advantage of its perks like rain does

There's not alot of growth abuse

Little harvest abuse

No use of flower gift( the best weather ability)

No solar power abuse

Only cress abuses moonlight/morning sun

There isn't a rain ability or bonus that isn't taken advantage of.

While I'd agree that growth isn't taken advantage of often, a lot of sun moves and abilities are rather poor.

Harvest is not 100% reliable if the whether is changed; if it fails, the berry will not be restored for the rest of the match, even if the sunlight is brought back.

Leaf Gaurd's "Prevention" is nothing to Hydration's "Cure."

Flower Gift only really shines in doubles/triples because it's only user is very weak even after the boosts, and even if it did have the stats, it's physical attacks can be counted on the hand of a man who has lost three fingers.

Solar power is the only Weather ability with a downside in its element.

Moonlight/Morning Sun/synthesis restore virtually nothing if the opponent changes whether, wasting your turn in most cases.

You're locked into a charging solarbeam if the whether is changed before you fire it, AND it will only have half it's power to boot.

By contrast, Dry Skin only has a downside if the opponent switches to sunny weather specifically. Thunder and Hurricane, similarly, will only have their accuracy reduced to 50% in sunny whether alone, having their normal, simi-reliable 70% in hail in sandstorm, while maintaining their power and not locking the user in.

It's not that people aren't trying to win with sun; it's just Sun VS Rain is just another glaring example of how horrible GameFreak is with game balance.
#25carpediempimp(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 8:34:32 PM
You didn't do much with that post but prove my point, most advatages sun has over other weathers ( actually suns is the most versatile weather) can't be used because their is no effective user of it

Btw your wrong about harvest if I've read correctly

And solar power has a disadvantage in its weather but the only ability that gives its user more power is flower gift.

But there isnt a single good user for most of suns advantages

The problem isn't suns advatages over other weathers if you look at this perks of sun it's as good as rain

The problem is the Pokemon behind sun suck
---
Just do it
#26ClassyOldHatPosted 7/2/2013 10:13:20 PM
carpediempimp posted...

Btw your wrong about harvest if I've read correctly

And solar power has a disadvantage in its weather but the only ability that gives its user more power is flower gift.

But there isnt a single good user for most of suns advantages

The problem isn't suns advatages over other weathers if you look at this perks of sun it's as good as rain

The problem is the Pokemon behind sun suck

Yeah, looked up Harvest on Bulbapedia again. My bad.

But from my list there, flower gift is really the only one relevant to your point, and again, it's designed as a Doubles ability; GameFreak would never give it to a Pokemon that could use it on it's own. Remember, they nerfed Explosion across all modes just to keep it from being OP in doubles, making the sacrifice pointless in every mode.

Solar Power's downside far outweighs it's small benefit: You Lose 1/8th of your HP each turn, even if you're not attacking with that 1.5 raised Sp. attack. Not even the Life Orb is that punishing. It nullifies the idea of any sort of set up or defensive play; the Pokemon must spam attacks while it can, because if they have to switch out, that's 1/8th of their HP gone the next time they come in, with nothing to show for it. And all that's assuming the opponent doesn't get to attack you. I don't care how good a Pokemon's stats or movepool is, if they have this ability, they are a glass cannon that will keel over in the face of the first foe they cannot OHKO. All speed boosting weather abilities multiply the speed stat by x2.0, and feel no need to have some hindrance.

All my other examples were about how Rain's big abilities and moves can all still work, even when the whether is changed, e.i.: If a Tyranitar comes in and changes your weather from sunny to sandstorm on the same turn you use moonlight or solarbeam, you've basically wasted a turn (or two, in Solarbeam's case), but if a Tyranitar comes in and changes your weather from sunny to sandstorm on the same turn you use Thunder, then you still have a 70% chance to have a full power attack leave a dent in their foe. It shows that yes, GF has indeed made Sun abilities far less versatile and functional than rain in general, regardless of the Pokemon using them.