This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark-type confirmed to be weak to Fairy-type!

#1MyNameIsNotJenPosted 7/1/2013 4:57:24 PM
Take a look at the Gardevoir vs Hydreigon Trailer battle for both the Japanese and English versions.

English (Damage = 96) Japanese (Damage = 100)

The damage formula (courtesy of smogon) is Damage= [Initial Damage x R/100] x STAB x Type. "R" is a randomly generated number between 85 and 100. However the "Initial Damage x R/100" is always a rounded down whole number.

Assuming values (32, 33, & 34) for "initial damage x R/100" the following equations can be drawn:

32 (assumed) x 1.5 (fairy STAB) x2 (SE against dark only) = 96

33 x 1.5 x 2 = 98

34 x 1.5 x 2 = 102

Therefore a STAB 2x super effective move will never do 100 damage in any case. (Although the 96 damage done in the English trailer is possible, please be patient) regardless of stats.

What if we assume that Fairy is in fact SE against both Dragon and Dark?

16 x 1.5 x 4 (SE against Dragon and Dark) = 96 (English)

17 x 1.5 x 4 = 100 (Japanese)

We have 100% possibility in both cases, unlike the previous assumption. This also shows that Fairy Wind will have BP par Ominous Wind & Silver Wind (60-65), and most importantly, Fairy will be super effective against Dragon and Dark types.
---
~I am dancing with Molly~
~BlackJack, VIP, Be2ty, Kamilia~
#2jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 5:17:24 PM(edited)
I can't really check Smogon right now for obvious reasons, but if the random factor is indeed calculated before STAB and STAB before weakness, and if it rounds down at every step (which is actually very probable), then I can't fault your conclusion.

Matches the leak anyway.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3MephilasPosted 7/1/2013 5:17:59 PM
Not confirmt. Didn't OHKO.
---
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
#4scrappybristolPosted 7/1/2013 5:18:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SEpCU.gif
---
Blue skidoo, we can too!
#5MyNameIsNotJen(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 5:38:01 PM
scrappybristol posted...

Hmm :)
---
~I am dancing with Molly~
~BlackJack, VIP, Be2ty, Kamilia~
#6GoldenSWarriorsPosted 7/1/2013 5:41:05 PM
scrappybristol posted...

lol thats what I was like when I was reading this
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#7reaverzPosted 7/1/2013 6:16:42 PM
Yeah, this came from a URL that a Smogon user provided in the XY thread a few days before the site crashed. It does assume a couple things, but I think it's going to be correct. So anyway, could you provide the URL this came from, TC? I want to save it.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#8SuperSaiyanTienPosted 7/1/2013 6:35:06 PM
So in other words (assuming you're right) why the hell didn't they just name the type "Light" instead of Fairy? Fairy is a stupid name and Light would fit...given that Dark is weak against it.

Just doesn't make any sense.
---
2365 4944 5716(Pokemon White Pal Code)
4469 3684 6040 (Platinum Pal Code)
#9harle1012000Posted 7/1/2013 6:46:30 PM
SuperSaiyanTien posted...
So in other words (assuming you're right) why the hell didn't they just name the type "Light" instead of Fairy? Fairy is a stupid name and Light would fit...given that Dark is weak against it.

Dark is only used in the west. In Japan it is the 'Aku' or 'Evil' type.
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#10beebarbPosted 7/1/2013 6:52:32 PM
SuperSaiyanTien posted...

Because:

1. Light is stupid sounding for a type.
2. Light has no meaning attached to it, where Fairy has a whole mythology and can be losely connected to 'magic' in general.

In the second regard you can consider the conflict of Good and Dark magic. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more special class Dark moves in X and Y.

3. Fairy is confirmed SE against dragon, and in at least two dragon myths fairies can directly or indirectly defeat dragons.

If you read a lot of the mythology, rather than just watch Disney movies you'd know that fairies are more than what is represented in them.
---
I gave up and did the 3DS transfer anyway...
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780