This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shuckle+Contrary+Shell Smash+Gyro Ball

#1GAMERCAMRYPosted 7/1/2013 6:20:34 PM
This seems to be an interesting set up for Shuckle, and I've been experimenting with it on Pokemon Showdown (OU Current), though I haven't had much luck with it. With Contrary, a Shell Smash performed by Shuckle would have its defences increased, but its speed and attacks decreased. With decreased speed+Shuckle's already horrible speed, Gyro Ball should be a powerful move. But for some reason, I can't get it to work. Does Shell Smash affect Gyro Ball in any way? Because gyro ball seems to be useless for Shuckle after some Shell Smashes. Any idea on how I should improve it? Maybe teach it bide? I would had used Smogon, but we all know it's down.

Well, the only thing my Shuckle seems to be successful with is causing others to ragequit, seen here:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-37441388
---
Chuck Norris once ordered a Big Mac at Burger King....and got one.
3ds FC: 1461-6293-8802 Name: Tap Tap AC:NL Town Name: Arcadian
#2Meta289Posted 7/1/2013 6:22:10 PM
...If you're using Contrary Shell Smash, then of course Gyro Ball is going to be weak. You're lowering Shuckle's already abysmal Attack stat when you Contrary Shell Smash.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#3GAMERCAMRY(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 6:23:09 PM
Meta289 posted...
...If you're using Contrary Shell Smash, then of course Gyro Ball is going to be weak. You're lowering Shuckle's already abysmal Attack stat when you Contrary Shell Smash.

Does it affect bide then?
---
#4MatezoidePosted 7/1/2013 6:25:39 PM(edited)
Gyro Ball's power has a cap. It cant get higher than 150 BAP.

Even assuming otherwise, the attack loss Shuckle would compensate the move's higher power.

Regarding Bide, it doesnt fits well with Shuckle. His HP is ridiculously small and the defenses are too high. If the opponent switches out while you are biding, his pokemon will probably have enough HP to shrug off the Bide and set up.

If a mon wants to use Bide, it needs to have low defenses, but a good HP.
#5elconoMPosted 7/1/2013 6:24:59 PM
Power Trick?
---
(GMT -7) 3DS FC 5171.9701.9373 - ACNL "Sunrose" town - XBL & Unova
ACNL boards = so fast... threads are nigh proving String Theory
#6KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/1/2013 6:27:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7Moe_Lester_13Posted 7/1/2013 6:27:10 PM
I have always wanted to try that setup with Shuckle. That was awesome.
But sorry I cant help, just had to comment and say badass Shuckle
---
Official Tobi of all Naruto boards- "I'll show you the truth!!"
--Sazh > Tobi > everything else > Yuji Kaido--
#8KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/1/2013 6:29:57 PM
elconoM posted...
Power Trick?

The problem with this is you end up with a pitiful defense stat on top of low speed.

The first physical attack throw its way will destroy him.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#9GAMERCAMRY(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 6:33:53 PM
Matezoide posted...
Gyro Ball's power has a cap. It cant get higher than 150 BAP.

Even assuming otherwise, the attack loss Shuckle would compensate the move's higher power.

Regarding Bide, it doesnt fits well with Shuckle. His HP is ridiculously small and the defenses are too high. If the opponent switches out while you are biding, his pokemon will probably have enough HP to shrug off the Bide and set up.

If a mon wants to use Bide, it needs to have low defenses, but a good HP.

Oh, even bide won't work. :(

elconoM posted...
Power Trick?

Good god, after 3 shell smashes and a power trick, shuckle would OHKO everything XD
But then its defence would be horrible, so maybe I should give it a focus sash or something.
---
#10MatezoidePosted 7/1/2013 6:39:39 PM(edited)
Well, Contrary + Shell Smash + Power Swap shouldnt be too bad. By lowering your attack, you are making the opponent weaker (While increasing your defense with Shell Smash), which can allow Shuckle to effortless stall with something like Toxic.

The main problem with such a set is that, regardless of what move you use for indirect damage, theres always going to be something that will be immune to it. You cant use two moves because such a set would need Rest for recovery.

Pain Split Shuckle would be a nice gimmick and would really help Shuckle by harming it's opponent, but sadly, he cant get it :(