This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the point of pokemon who have 'normal' as a secondary type?

#1Immortal_Chaos7Posted 7/2/2013 7:04:52 AM
IMO it's one one of the weirdest things about pokemon. I always assumed normal pokemon are normal because of a lack of any other specific type classification. The only pokemon that I accepted with this was Girafarig being that one half has psychic powers while the other half doesn't. Pokemon like Deerling, on the other hand, just leave me asking why. Shouldn't being a grass type mean.. it's not normal?
---
Pokemon Diamond-Name:Jack / FC:0043-9308-0032
#2Chaos GenesisPosted 7/2/2013 7:10:58 AM
Normal hasn't been "defaut type" for a while, ever since Bibarel and arguably since Pidgey. Besides, it grants these Pokemon immunity to Ghost-types and STAB from some of the more powerful attacks in the game.
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/
#3Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 7:18:33 AM
Chaos Genesis posted...
Normal hasn't been "defaut type" for a while, ever since Bibarel and arguably since Pidgey. Besides, it grants these Pokemon immunity to Ghost-types and STAB from some of the more powerful attacks in the game.

The bird pokemon are fine 'cause in a sense, they're just normal pokemon who happen to be able to fly. Flying type in general is just tacked on to what can fly except for.. you know.. Gyrados. But if normal isn't default type, what exactly classifies as 'normal' type?
---
#4PrinceChickadeePosted 7/2/2013 7:23:45 AM
Back before pokémon got many extremely powerful moves for every type, normal type was given to normal animals. for example, the purple mouse at the beginning of the game is normal type, but they electric mouse pikachu is electric type, because it has electric abilities. Without those abilities, it would be a normal animal just like rattata(i think that's the name)
Now, I know someone said something about Bibarel, but remember, it's just a beaver. It's an ordinary animal that lives in damp areas, building dams.
Ordinary animal + wet habitat = Normal/water type Pokémon
---
https://www.facebook.com/RainbowHairedOwain
#5gladwyn101Posted 7/2/2013 7:29:42 AM
Normal as a secondary type is given to Pokemon that have some characteristics of another type, but those characteristics are not strong enough to be a single-type Pokemon, yet the Pokemon doesn't have any other special characteristics. In other words, the non-Normal characteristics are there, but they are mild.
---
4e is not D&D, but WoW making a Disguise check.
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon
#6Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 7:32:11 AM
PrinceChickadee posted...
Back before pokémon got many extremely powerful moves for every type, normal type was given to normal animals. for example, the purple mouse at the beginning of the game is normal type, but they electric mouse pikachu is electric type, because it has electric abilities. Without those abilities, it would be a normal animal just like rattata(i think that's the name)
Now, I know someone said something about Bibarel, but remember, it's just a beaver. It's an ordinary animal that lives in damp areas, building dams.
Ordinary animal + wet habitat = Normal/water type Pokémon

I'd accept that but Bibarel can learn to use the likes of water gun and actually produce water from its body therefor justifying that would be like trying to justify Pikachu as a electric/normal type however, its not. So why is Bibarel water/normal while Floatzel is just water?
---
#7Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 7:35:27 AM
gladwyn101 posted...
Normal as a secondary type is given to Pokemon that have some characteristics of another type, but those characteristics are not strong enough to be a single-type Pokemon, yet the Pokemon doesn't have any other special characteristics. In other words, the non-Normal characteristics are there, but they are mild.

Fair enough; this will probably the explanation I accept the most.
---
#8Balamb00Posted 7/2/2013 7:43:31 AM
Chaos Genesis posted...

This is the most substantial post in this topic. People are failing to realize that Normal is a type, not something that necessarily defines a Pokemon appearance.

Like Chaos genesis mentioned, with a normal typing, you get an immunity to Ghost Type attacks and a weakness to Fighting Type attacks. Imagine a Psychic/Normal Pokemon, it would be resistant to Ghost type attacks (One of it's weakness) but fighting type would now do normal damage to it. Making it a bit more viable for use, if not more viable against Ghhost types, especially if learning a drak type move.
#9master_gamr1231Posted 7/2/2013 8:34:59 AM
Balamb00 posted...
Chaos Genesis posted...

This is the most substantial post in this topic. People are failing to realize that Normal is a type, not something that necessarily defines a Pokemon appearance.

Like Chaos genesis mentioned, with a normal typing, you get an immunity to Ghost Type attacks and a weakness to Fighting Type attacks. Imagine a Psychic/Normal Pokemon, it would be resistant to Ghost type attacks (One of it's weakness) but fighting type would now do normal damage to it. Making it a bit more viable for use, if not more viable against Ghhost types, especially if learning a drak type move.

Well, we don't exactly have to imagine one. Girafarig already exists. But who ever uses it? And it's still be immune to Ghost, not just resistant.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#10Balamb00Posted 7/2/2013 8:59:26 AM
master_gamr1231 posted...
Balamb00 posted...
Chaos Genesis posted...

Well, we don't exactly have to imagine one. Girafarig already exists. But who ever uses it? And it's still be immune to Ghost, not just resistant.

Good call, forgot about Girafarig.