This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does nobody care about the grid movement?

#1EltainPosted 7/2/2013 9:22:10 AM
I seriously think that this is going to be the biggest downfall for me, I am so excited about all the new features. The battles look so pretty and everything feels like it's had so much art put into it, not even mentioning full 3D graphics in a handheld Pokemon game.
I feel like I could spend hours just immersing myself in this world with all it's characters... that would be if it weren't for the elephant in the room. Or in this case, Wailord.

Am I the only one that is considering passing on this generation entirely simply because of the grid based movement? So far I have finished every Pokemon game so far and nearly completed the local Pokedex of all of them. I love Pokemon, but to be honest, my love for Pokemon isn't strong enough to douse the anger and rage that I feel considering that X and Y are still stuck to the grid.

I don't care about diagonal movement, I'm talking about the Nintendo DS having Super Mario 64 on it with better graphics and mechanics than X and Y, just take a look at Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, they retained the birds eye view that this game is going for without causing any issues. Someone from Game Freak said it's because of the "script based events" - you don't think any of the other thousands of 3D games since the release of the Nintendo 64 and Playstation have had "script based events"? What about Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness? The Pokemon Company didn't have any trouble with "script based events" in those 3D Pokemon games.

This game is wrecking Pokemon for me because I can't move in all the directions I want.
Don't tell me to just use the roller blades because unless I can permanently glue that crap to my feet without some psychic professor telling me to take them off every time I enter a Pokemon Center I have no interest.

The only hope I have left for Pokemon at this point is if Game Freak does a Microsoft and adds in the feature that should have been available from the start of development. Otherwise I am skipping every single generation until I get my 3D movement. I have waited long enough.

Now to answer the topic question.
Why am I the ONLY one who seems to give a damn about this game breaker?

/end rant
#2LexifoxPosted 7/2/2013 9:23:42 AM
Yes you are.

I feel like I could spend hours just immersing myself in this world with all it's characters... that would be if it weren't for the elephant in the room. Or in this case, Wailord.

Wouldn't Donphan work better for this?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3FuneralCakePosted 7/2/2013 9:24:11 AM
You have successfully convinced me to cancel my pre-order.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
i don't want to do things. i want to not do things.
#4KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/2/2013 9:25:43 AM
You're the only one who cares because you're the only one who considers it a gamebreaker. Maybe?
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#5Zacks_FairPosted 7/2/2013 9:26:51 AM
I'm sorry that is your reason for missing these games.

I can't wait for October
---
Xerneas is Psychic/Rock, Yveltal Dark/Flying (speculation)
#6Haku125Posted 7/2/2013 9:28:00 AM
You can move in 8 directions
---
Superbot: Oh you want us to nerf Sackboy? Here why don't we break the game for you!
#7Lone_HunterPosted 7/2/2013 9:29:01 AM
In no way is this a game breaker. The reason I think it is not in there is sue to trainer battles. If you can move diagonally you could avoid majority of the battles. Where is the fun in that?

Mario 64 compared to Pokemon, have you played either before? If so you know they are 2 very different games. Pokemon game play does not rely on over world game play (though they do add attractions to make it more immersive[sp?]) rather it concentrates on fixed battle areas. Where Mario 64 is all about the over worlds and how you interact with them.

So again I say, No I do not care that there is no "free movement" because that is not what the Pokemon games are about.
---
~Elite Divided Leader / TFC: Street Fighter / PBL: Wiseman~(W2)2924-7521-0718
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLinkhawkins
#8Art_BuddyPosted 7/2/2013 9:31:48 AM
See you in October.
---
There are no rattlesnakes in Texas. It's just a myth.
#9Lone_HunterPosted 7/2/2013 9:33:20 AM
Art_Buddy posted...
See you in October.

This
---
~Elite Divided Leader / TFC: Street Fighter / PBL: Wiseman~(W2)2924-7521-0718
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLinkhawkins
#10KaitoKazePosted 7/2/2013 9:35:27 AM
I honestly PREFER grid movement

It makes it clear where you can and can't go, and prevents glitches
---
The Fairy type is the greatest addition to Pokemon ever