This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There should be a rival that you choose.

#1DarkChozoGhostPosted 7/2/2013 10:45:28 PM
On the second route there should be like 4-8 trainers, and each of them would have one pokemon, each a different pokemon you can catch on that route. At the end of the route there would be a pair of trainers in the way that want to double battle, and you'll have to talk to one of the trainers you fought on the route to join you. After that, the trainer you chose as a partner would go off on their own journey, encountering you multiple times on your journey like any other rival. Whichever one you picked would have mostly identical dialogue throughout the game with some slight differences, but they'd each have a different team.

If this had happened in DPP, one trainer would have a starly, one a bidoof, one a kricketot, and one a shinx.
---
"You really think 4/10 people who go hiking fall off cliffs?"
-TrevorBlack
#2DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 8:13:59 AM
It would be cool guys.
---
-TrevorBlack
#3Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 8:20:44 AM
I'm not opposed to this. Not a bad idea.
#4DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 11:19:04 PM
Any more input?
---
-TrevorBlack
#5JackSolomonPosted 7/6/2013 11:30:17 PM(edited)
Sure, I wouldn't mind this. They'd all have to have some backstory though, beyond just 'I just happened to encounter and have this guy join me in a Double Battle! Now we're mortal enemies!"

A rivalry like that has to have set up. Depth.

Maybe hit a compromise between the current system and your proposal: There are a number of potential rivals (I believe they're called 'friends' at the moment) and before any of you get a Pokemon, you grow to know each of them, THEN all of you encounter the Professor of that generation in trouble, and you pick the one you want to team up with to take down the attacking Pokemon.

There. Backstory of how you two became rivals, and you're not fighting your first battle alone.

If they expanded on it further, with distinct personality types between each rival (say one could be a good friend AND rival, like the rival from Black 2, while another could have the hunger for battles consume them, ending up more like Paul, with whether or not they keep teaming up with you or turn on you when you need them, such as challenging the enemy team, changing to reflect their behavior) and you could have some pretty decent and different arcs.

Granted, this IS a Pokemon game, but maybe someday.
#6zombiabsolPosted 7/6/2013 11:36:13 PM
love it
---
LOL, peace out Defense Of Marriage Act, you wont be missed...at all
aka Absol_Pancham
#7KillerMechanoidPosted 7/6/2013 11:41:08 PM(edited)
I came in here expecting another stupid suggestion topic like so many others people's before it.

I was proven wrong.

This is actually a pretty nice idea.
#8JakeisaLiePosted 7/6/2013 11:55:10 PM(edited)
I can just imagine if they did that in gen 1 and had you choose at the beginning

"and this is my grandson... err... which one was my grandson again?"

in all seriousness though this sounds like an interesting idea
---
http://wallbot.net/walls/preview/1841.jpeg
Official Rotom of the X/Y boards
#9DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 12:06:04 AM
JackSolomon posted...
Sure, I wouldn't mind this. They'd all have to have some backstory though, beyond just 'I just happened to encounter and have this guy join me in a Double Battle! Now we're mortal enemies!"

A rivalry like that has to have set up. Depth.

Maybe hit a compromise between the current system and your proposal: There are a number of potential rivals (I believe they're called 'friends' at the moment) and before any of you get a Pokemon, you grow to know each of them, THEN all of you encounter the Professor of that generation in trouble, and you pick the one you want to team up with to take down the attacking Pokemon.

There. Backstory of how you two became rivals, and you're not fighting your first battle alone.

If they expanded on it further, with distinct personality types between each rival (say one could be a good friend AND rival, like the rival from Black 2, while another could have the hunger for battles consume them, ending up more like Paul, with whether or not they keep teaming up with you or turn on you when you need them, such as challenging the enemy team, changing to reflect their behavior) and you could have some pretty decent and different arcs.

Granted, this IS a Pokemon game, but maybe someday.

I like some of that idea too, but I was thinking about some things differently. There would still be other rivals that are more developed, but this rival would be in addition to that one/those ones. In R/S/E, you had two rivals and in B/W, you had three rivals. The other rivals in the game would have their own personalities develop, but this rival would be the only one you choose. The reason I wouldn't want to choose one of several developed rivals is because I wouldn't want to miss out on each character's development because I choose someone else.
---
-TrevorBlack
#10Scott1187Posted 7/7/2013 12:17:11 AM
So almost every other double battle in the history of the games allows you to battle on your own with two of your pokemon, but this one suddenly says "no, you aren't allowed to use two pokemon, go find a partner"? Makes perfect sense.

The only way this would work is if they dont let you have more than your starter at that point. Either because there is no tall grass (but then why are all these trainers hanging around?) or because they dont give you pokeballs yet. And that would just be annoying.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1679-1616-3854