This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon needs an antagonist protagonists

#1harle1012000Posted 7/2/2013 10:46:35 PM
Hear me out...

You know how Blue/Gary/Douchenozzle was a total butt in the first game and you were the stoic determinator? Why not switch it up?

Have the playable character be uncaring, mean, unfriendly or whatever but, because of [PLOT DEVICE], you learn your mistakes and become a true trainer in the end. It would show your character mature over the course of the game from an entitled child to a responsible young adult.

Or you can stay a turd. Whatevers. Smell ya later!
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#2TherianReturnsPosted 7/2/2013 10:49:05 PM
You right.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#3Arne83Posted 7/2/2013 10:52:38 PM
I've mentioned this before... the main characters are blank slates. You can throw almost any trait you want onto them and it'll work.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#4Half-GhostPosted 7/2/2013 10:57:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that makes absolutely no sense at all. An antagonist is somebody that is against the protagonist. How would they the protagonist be an antagonist as well? Serious personality disorder?
#5harle1012000(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 10:57:58 PM
Arne83 posted...
I've mentioned this before... the main characters are blank slates. You can throw almost any trait you want onto them and it'll work.

True, but I want the game to acknowledge your character as an immature annoyance. Maybe have your character steal the starter they want out of jealousy or something or even give you quests where you have to do mean stuff (harass sleeping Miltanks, defeat underleveled trainers, etc.)

Of course your character eventually changes to undo all the damage later in the game.
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#6harle1012000(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 10:58:54 PM
Half-Ghost posted...
I'm pretty sure that makes absolutely no sense at all. An antagonist is somebody that is against the protagonist. How would they the protagonist be an antagonist as well? Serious personality disorder?

Heroic antagonist? Or just a villanous main-character? Or you start out harassing your rival and then reform?
---
#7Arne83Posted 7/2/2013 11:03:50 PM
harle1012000 posted...
Arne83 posted...

True, but I want the game to acknowledge your character as an immature annoyance. Maybe have your character steal the starter they want out of jealousy or something or even give you quests where you have to do mean stuff (harass sleeping Miltanks, defeat underleveled trainers, etc.)

Oh... I see. That's something completely different.

Having the game act as if you're character is... Chaotic Neutral (at best) would be interesting, I admit.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#8X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/3/2013 12:05:31 AM
harle1012000 posted...
Hear me out...

You know how Blue/Gary/Douchenozzle was a total butt in the first game and you were the stoic determinator? Why not switch it up?

Have the playable character be uncaring, mean, unfriendly or whatever but, because of [PLOT DEVICE], you learn your mistakes and become a true trainer in the end. It would show your character mature over the course of the game from an entitled child to a responsible young adult.

Or you can stay a turd. Whatevers. Smell ya later!

Here you go.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb6zzmbafj1qf0ru4.jpg

Cares only about himself.
Pretends to help people save Pokémon, but keeps them to himself and even trade them off to other regions so they won't be found again.
Gives his girlfriend the silent treatment.
Goes back and boss around others he "owned" before many times just because he can.

I don't think you can do better than him.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#9deadpool848Posted 7/3/2013 7:03:16 AM
Arne83 posted...

I think the Main Characters are ment to be blank slates for the sole purpose of having the player feel they are in the game, that they can project themselves into the character there playing. If the main characters had actual personalities it would be much harder to do this. Thats just my opinion on why the main characters are so bland. The Yes/No questions that have slowly sneaked into the game in gen 5 are probably a very small step forward to actual decisions you will have to make on your journey in the future games.
#10NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 7:09:02 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]