This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are people seriously excited about GF's draconian hacking policy?

#1iKhanicPosted 7/3/2013 8:40:23 AM(edited)
When you buy a game, you own it. You should have the freedom to do anything with it bar duplicating and selling it. GF shouldn't try to brick your game. If you don't like hacking IV's and EV's then don't do it, but don't restrict other people.

And also how do you know this hacking policy won't bite everyone back in the ass. What if it also prevents people from creating those wonderful patches that make fangames? What if you are prevented from hacking in event pokemon?

And note that I only play Showdown and Pokemon Online for competitive play. I only play the games for fun, so I'm coming from a neutral perspective here.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#2NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 8:48:43 AM(edited)
Uh... I get the idea you don't know how fangames work if you think their anti hacking stuff will stop fangames that use the original engine.

I think I am missing some info, are they going to make games unplayable if hacks are detected or something?
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 8:50:43 AM
NewbieN00b posted...
Uh... I get the idea you don't know how fangames work if you think their anti hacking stuff will stop fangames that use the original engine.

I think I am missing some info, are they going to make games unplayable if hacks are detected or something?

They basically said that hacks should brick the system. And I have some idea of how fangames work, but I have no idea what GF is going to restrict changing the games's code. So it certainly could make patches harder.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4Serebii from SPPPosted 7/3/2013 8:52:33 AM(edited)
You do have the freedom to do whatever you damn well please with it.

However, if you wish to participate in official tournaments, then you are subject to their rules.
If you break your save by hacking, they are well within their rights to not fix it.

They did not say hacking would brick your system, they just provided details of the consequences
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#5MilsoPosted 7/3/2013 8:52:45 AM
I don't see how anything they're doing is "draconian". Cheating (assuming you play online) ruins the experience for other people, pretty much every single online game takes measures to prevent this.

And no, when you buy a game you do not own it. You can argue that you should if you want, but that's not how it works, especially when you're playing online. You're playing THEIR game and have to abide by THEIR rules.
---
rawr
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 8:53:09 AM
Serebii from SPP posted...

However, if you wish to participate in official tournaments, then you are subject to their rules.
If you break your save by hacking, they are well within their rights to not fix it

Yes, but they basically said they are going to make it much harder to hack games without bricking your save. It's not illegal of course, but it is draconian.
---
#7GoGoatPosted 7/3/2013 8:56:11 AM
iKhanic posted...

If you break your save by hacking, they are well within their rights to not fix it

Yes, but they basically said they are going to make it much harder to hack games without bricking your save. It's not illegal of course, but it is draconian.

I think thats just a scare tactic.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board
#8NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 8:56:17 AM
iKhanic posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

They basically said that hacks should brick the system. And I have some idea of how fangames work, but I have no idea what GF is going to restrict changing the games's code. So it certainly could make patches harder.

If you mean playing fangames on a console then you are correct. I was talking about something else, which I believe is against TOS so I'll have to stop.

But hacks bricking the whole 3DS? For a pokemon game? That is ridiculous.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#9Serebii from SPPPosted 7/3/2013 9:00:40 AM
iKhanic posted...

They said no such thing. You're inferring that.

In reality, yes. The 3DS is currently unhacked. There are also issues with the savefiles from what I understand. This will help prevent hacks. It's not GameFreak's doing though.

People can hack and cheat all they want, but it has always been the case where if you do it and screw up your game, it is your responsibility and they will not fix it. They're just reiterating this.
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#10iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 9:02:03 AM
Milso posted...
And no, when you buy a game you do not own it. You can argue that you should if you want, but that's not how it works, especially when you're playing online. You're playing THEIR game and have to abide by THEIR rules.

Yes, you do own it. There are no terms of service to the game when you are offline, Just like if you buy a shirt, you own a shirt, when you buy a physical game, you own that physical game.

When you are on their servers, yes you have to play by their rules, but that's not what I'm saying is draconian.
---