This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are people seriously excited about GF's draconian hacking policy?

#11iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 9:05:32 AM
Serebii from SPP posted...
iKhanic posted...
You do have the freedom to do whatever you damn well please with it.

However, if you wish to participate in official tournaments, then you are subject to their rules.
If you break your save by hacking, they are well within their rights to not fix it

Yes, but they basically said they are going to make it much harder to hack games without bricking your save. It's not illegal of course, but it is draconian.

They said no such thing. You're inferring that.

People can hack and cheat all they want, but it has always been the case where if you do it and screw up your game, it is your responsibility and they will not fix it. They're just reiterating this.

"If these hacked Pokemon are sent into the game software, then the game will cease to operate correctly, and in certain case, can also cause the game to cease functioning. "

I certainly hope they are just reiterating here. To me, it sounds like they are just trying to make the game harder to hack.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#12Serebii from SPPPosted 7/3/2013 9:06:30 AM
iKhanic posted...
iKhanic posted...
You do have the freedom to do whatever you damn well please with it.

However, if you wish to participate in official tournaments, then you are subject to their rules.
If you break your save by hacking, they are well within their rights to not fix it

Yes, but they basically said they are going to make it much harder to hack games without bricking your save. It's not illegal of course, but it is draconian.

They said no such thing. You're inferring that.

People can hack and cheat all they want, but it has always been the case where if you do it and screw up your game, it is your responsibility and they will not fix it. They're just reiterating this.

"If these hacked Pokemon are sent into the game software, then the game will cease to operate correctly, and in certain case, can also cause the game to cease functioning. "

I certainly hope they are just reiterating here. To me, it sounds like they are just trying to make the game harder to hack.

They're talking about some hacks like poor ones which cause the game to freeze when you look at them
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#13yzmanPosted 7/3/2013 9:17:21 AM
People are worrying way too much about this. It was all scare tactics and as of right now, the 3DS has yet to be hacked at all.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#14Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 9:27:56 AM(edited)
NewbieN00b posted...

But hacks bricking the whole 3DS? For a pokemon game? That is ridiculous.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But don't hackers always run the risk of corrupting a system they are trying to bypass? Whether it be a 3DS, PC or even an IPad.

What I see more often than not is people complain that they can't play the game the way they always may have. And that's by using a hacking device to acquire whatever type of Pokemon they wish, whenever they feel it's wanted. Sure, it was easily achievable in the past but not anymore. Now people complain? Look at it this way. YOU (Whoever hacks) may only use hacking for in game satisfaction but there are and always will be people who abuse it and utilize hacked Pokemon online. This creates a major problem for those that actually put forth the real effort and still fall short in some areas. How is that right?

Take the gun law, America for instance would obviously be a safer place if the government could manage to confiscate guns from all citizens. Criminal and the innocent. But because it's not feasible to confiscate all weapons especially from criminals, they must allow the innocent a manner in which to protect themselves. Therefore, it comes to a stalemate.

Well Pokemon isn't a democracy, it's a product in which Gamefreak of Nintendo has full rights to. Therefore, if losing a few fans because they refuse to buy the product because they cannot hack. Then so be it so long as the vast majority can play the game the way it was meant to be. Fair.
#15Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 9:37:41 AM(edited)
Ah the gun thing was mostly irrelevant. i meant to take it in another direction. but the fact is, the only feasible thing Nintendo can do to prevent people from cheating online is to take higher precautions to prevent it.

Edit- I normally post with an IPad, therefore I type really slow and easily lose my train of thought.
#16NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 9:35:58 AM
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

But hacks bricking the whole 3DS? For a pokemon game? That is ridiculous.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But don't hackers always run the risk of corrupting a system they are trying to bypass? Whether it be a 3DS, PC or even an IPad.

What I see more often than not is people complain that they can't play the game the way they always may have. And that's by using a hacking device to acquire whatever type of Pokemon they wish, whenever they feel it's wanted. Sure, it was easily achievable in the past but not anymore. Now people complain? Look at it this way. YOU (Whoever hacks) may only use hacking for in game satisfaction but there are and always will be people who abuse it and utilize hacked Pokemon online. This creates a major problem for those that actually put forth the real effort and still fall short in some areas. How is that right?

Take the gun law, America for instance would obviously be a safer place if the government could manage to confiscate guns from all citizens. Criminal and the innocent. But because it's not feasible to confiscate all weapons especially from criminals, they must allow the innocent a manner in which to protect themselves. Therefore, it comes to a stalemate.

Well Pokemon isn't a democracy, it's a product in which Gamefreak of Nintendo has full rights to. Therefore, if losing a few fans because they refuse to buy the product because they cannot hack. Then so be it so long as the vast majority can play the game the way it was meant to be. Fair.

I'm sorry, but I think I got lost. I don't think theres any hacking that affects a game will break a system. Heck, the glitches in Red and blue broke the **** out of some games didn't damage the gameboy. My point was what were you doing to break a system?
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#17jimrichardsPosted 7/3/2013 9:39:11 AM
iKhanic posted...
When you buy a game, you own it. You should have the freedom to do anything with it bar duplicating and selling it. GF shouldn't try to brick your game. If you don't like hacking IV's and EV's then don't do it, but don't restrict other people.

No you don't. You own the physical/digital medium on which the game is distributed. You own the license to use the software on said medium. You do not suddenly gain ownership of the data contained within the software. That is not how the law works.

It is for this reason that copyright law exists; to protect the intellectual property of developers. This goes for independent devs, too; people assume that because something is free/non-profit that it is suddenly free to modify. That is not the case.
---
I would prefer to be known as BlackWaltzTheThird, or just Waltz for short.
Got Animal Crossing? Join today! http://www.esoevil.com/forums/index.php
#18Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 9:41:59 AM
NewbieN00b posted...

I'm sorry, but I think I got lost. I don't think theres any hacking that affects a game will break a system. Heck, the glitches in Red and blue broke the **** out of some games didn't damage the gameboy. My point was what were you doing to break a system?

Fair enough but how about this. Hacking a game could corrupt it. A corrupted game within the system could therefore potentially break the system because the system can't handle the changes in some way?

Anyhow, it's a higher level of deterrence for hackers. You don't want to risk breaking your 200 dollar handheld then don't hack.
#19iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 10:12:27 AM
jimrichards posted...
iKhanic posted...
When you buy a game, you own it. You should have the freedom to do anything with it bar duplicating and selling it. GF shouldn't try to brick your game. If you don't like hacking IV's and EV's then don't do it, but don't restrict other people.

No you don't. You own the physical/digital medium on which the game is distributed. You own the license to use the software on said medium. You do not suddenly gain ownership of the data contained within the software. That is not how the law works.

It is for this reason that copyright law exists; to protect the intellectual property of developers. This goes for independent devs, too; people assume that because something is free/non-profit that it is suddenly free to modify. That is not the case.

I'm not an expert in the law and I don't know if you are either. But this is what I do know, you can modify an IP and distribute it for free with fair use. If you don't use the original product's code, you may even be able to sell a mod. This was the case with General Computer, who sold mods to arcade games. Unfortunately the case was settled out of court, bur the legality of selling mods is debatable.

I'm not exactly sure what the barrier of intellectual property is. If you buy a toy, the IP is that toy's concept, but the physical toy is completely yours. Even so, you can use the toy in a way other than the toy's original concept. But you cant resell the toy because you are claiming the concept as your own. I would think the same applies to a game.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#20DarthRLinkPosted 7/3/2013 10:25:23 AM
You people keep using the word "draconian"...
I do not think it means what you think it means.
---
"How's your wife?" "Not to good she's in bed with Laryngitis"
"Is that Argonian bastard back in town again?"