This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are people seriously excited about GF's draconian hacking policy?

#21GoGoatPosted 7/3/2013 10:31:21 AM
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

I'm sorry, but I think I got lost. I don't think theres any hacking that affects a game will break a system. Heck, the glitches in Red and blue broke the **** out of some games didn't damage the gameboy. My point was what were you doing to break a system?

Fair enough but how about this. Hacking a game could corrupt it. A corrupted game within the system could therefore potentially break the system because the system can't handle the changes in some way?

Anyhow, it's a higher level of deterrence for hackers. You don't want to risk breaking your 200 dollar handheld then don't hack.

Event handlers exist for these kind of things. Thats why we had a ??? type Arceus sprite in gen 4, and why stats could be raised to 999 in gen 3 without the game freaking out.

Seriously, unless your using some illegal devices to modify the game actual coding beyond what the device is capable of running (and I've never even seen a fangame capable of doing that), and not just some values present in its save like the majority of hackers do, there is absolutely zero risk in bricking your system.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board
#22NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 10:38:03 AM
GoGoat posted...
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

I'm sorry, but I think I got lost. I don't think theres any hacking that affects a game will break a system. Heck, the glitches in Red and blue broke the **** out of some games didn't damage the gameboy. My point was what were you doing to break a system?

Fair enough but how about this. Hacking a game could corrupt it. A corrupted game within the system could therefore potentially break the system because the system can't handle the changes in some way?

Anyhow, it's a higher level of deterrence for hackers. You don't want to risk breaking your 200 dollar handheld then don't hack.

Event handlers exist for these kind of things. Thats why we had a ??? type Arceus sprite in gen 4, and why stats could be raised to 999 in gen 3 without the game freaking out.

Seriously, unless your using some illegal devices to modify the game actual coding beyond what the device is capable of running (and I've never even seen a fangame capable of doing that), and not just some values present in its save like the majority of hackers do, there is absolutely zero risk in bricking your system.

You'd have to screw with the assembly to screw it up that bad (unless there is a really bad coding error somewhere already) to screw something beyond repair.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#23Hierarchy225Posted 7/3/2013 10:43:28 AM(edited)
OP, when people start hacking their pokes, and ruining the online experience for everyone there's a problem.
---
The Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 2409-6490-7184
#24ElectricNovaPosted 7/3/2013 10:43:35 AM
I understand banning obvious hacks with overpowered, impossible stats and moves they shouldn't have...

But ones that are within normal game parameters, and are completely legit apart from their origin, I don't see the point.
Then again I don't think those are detectable if they're done correctly.
---
"France is a place for beauty....and beauty makes people want to sex you..." Nightinangle, on the topic of France
Official Rayquaza of X and Y boards
#25LightningHawk90Posted 7/3/2013 10:45:23 AM
I'm extremely happy about their anti-hacking policy. Play the damn game the way it was intended to be played.
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#26Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 10:57:35 AM
NewbieN00b posted...
GoGoat posted...
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

You'd have to screw with the assembly to screw it up that bad (unless there is a really bad coding error somewhere already) to screw something beyond repair.

Cool, didn't know either of those things. (GoGoat and N00b)

But either way. I am against hacking for online GTS battles and what not and the only way I see fit to handle this is to deter hacking altogether. Because in a way, online hackers ultimately break the game for legit players anyhow. So I do feel bad for those that hack solely for in game use but it's something that must be done.
#27iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 11:18:31 AM
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
GoGoat posted...
Balamb00 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

Cool, didn't know either of those things. (GoGoat and N00b)

But either way. I am against hacking for online GTS battles and what not and the only way I see fit to handle this is to deter hacking altogether. Because in a way, online hackers ultimately break the game for legit players anyhow. So I do feel bad for those that hack solely for in game use but it's something that must be done.

I don't get why it "must be done". Battling depends on skill in battles, not how much you grind. It's not really cheating, it's more of a shortcut.

And Pokemon isn't a game built for online battles, in-game is the major purpose of the game. To screw over people who want to modify their copy of the game just so that others can't take a shortcut for an extension of the game doesn't seem right to me.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#28PkmTrainerAbramPosted 7/3/2013 11:24:05 AM
Not really sure where I stand on this.

Yes, I think it's a good thing that they are actively stopping hacking in their games, but I worry about Pokemon clones and what not, and what they've classified as a hack.

I've trained Pokemon from RSE and on without hacking the game, but I have used the Emerald Cloning Trick to clone Pokemon and items, and even backed up my save and rebooted it to clone Pokemon and send them to other games, but they were all Pokemon I caught and trained myself, without anything to modify the actual save file. I worry about that, even if it's most likely needless.

But yeah, if I'm blocked from transferring them, as unlikely as that scenario is, so be it. The game should be fair to everyone, and I hope that their additions to improving the competitive aspects of the game are well done to warrant it.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online), Rocket Knight Adventures(Sega Genesis)
#29Balamb00Posted 7/3/2013 11:27:09 AM
iKhanic posted...
I don't get why it "must be done". Battling depends on skill in battles, not how much you grind. It's not really cheating, it's more of a shortcut.

And Pokemon isn't a game built for online battles, in-game is the major purpose of the game. To screw over people who want to modify their copy of the game just so that others can't take a shortcut for an extension of the game doesn't seem right to me.

Okay let's look at someone who has perfect IVs for all Pokemon because of hacking verse someone who has decent IVs due to intense breeding and EV training. The hacker has a clear advantage. Your shortcut can completely demolishes someone who put hours upon hours into legit Pokemon. How is that fair? Should they just cheat too? Most legit players will refuse.
#30GoGoatPosted 7/3/2013 11:28:27 AM
Balamb00 posted...

I like you. You're one of the few people on this board against hacking who doesn't fly off the handle unnecessarily.

iKhanic posted...

Gonna have to disagree on that. Part of the foundation of this franchise was built on the concept of trading and battling with other people. As for stats, even minute differences can change the outcome of a battle, which is why a lot of people prefer the simulators - you're guaranteed to have a level playing field.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board