This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As Gamefreak designs more and more Pokemon

#11GATTJTPosted 7/3/2013 11:05:10 AM
Does anyone know how much space a single Pokemon takes up? I've been searching for any info on it, but I can't find anything.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xjBAd5G84
#12deevo117Posted 7/3/2013 11:07:57 AM
Although TC's statement can be seen as pretty far-fetched,

I do wonder what they will do when there are nearly 1000 pokemon?

Since the target audience for Pokemon is clearly a bit younger, the fan base is going to grow because the game simply ages very well.

I mean think about it, kids who were born in the middle of Gen III could very well pick up these games in October and jump right into the fray.
---
Official Manectric of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#13SlimeStackPosted 7/3/2013 11:12:12 AM
GATTJT posted...
Does anyone know how much space a single Pokemon takes up? I've been searching for any info on it, but I can't find anything.

It's very difficult to say without having the information on the cart to look at. But a single Pokémon is just a couple of images, a sound effect, and a few tiny pieces of text and numbers.

It's small enough that 649 Pokémon can fit in a 512 MB game, and most of that space is actually dedicated to the music and stuff.

Space is not an issue at all for something like Pokémon.
---
Awaiting: AC4, LR:FFXIII, FFXIV:ARR, FFXV, BD:FF, Pokemon X, DA:I, Zelda: ALBW
#14Ultima546Posted 7/3/2013 11:12:41 AM
deevo117 posted...
Although TC's statement can be seen as pretty far-fetched,

I do wonder what they will do when there are nearly 1000 pokemon?

Since the target audience for Pokemon is clearly a bit younger, the fan base is going to grow because the game simply ages very well.

I mean think about it, kids who were born in the middle of Gen III could very well pick up these games in October and jump right into the fray.

They'll probably have some kind of celebration and then move on. It's not like 1,000 is a lot, or anything. ~_~

Really though, it's been mentioned numerous times in the Pokemon universe that there may be thousands or that the number may never be truly known. It's not really significant.
---
This signature is reserved for a witty remark... of which I have none.
#15Archwing3441Posted 7/3/2013 11:15:46 AM
GATTJT posted...

I remember reading it somewhere, practically nothing >_< The actually pokemon doesn't take too much space, making the TC's problem pretty much not existent. Also, technology grows exponentially, while the rate pokemon come out is linear. Just by that logic, there would always be enough room for pokemon without taking anything away from the games.
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#16NewbieN00bPosted 7/3/2013 11:29:41 AM(edited)
GATTJT posted...

Very little. The game only has to keep track of it's stats, ability, gender etc. (While it sounds like a lot, this kind of information can all be kept in a simple string of numbers.

For example, a pokemons Gender, Ability, Nature*, and a few other things are all stored in its Personality Value.

*(upon re-reading my info Nature has been changed so it isn't stored in the PV, but it still shows my point)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_value
Which is a string of numbers, takes up little space

Another thing, Shines do not double the amount of images stored. The game just loads a different color set when told to do. Having two sets of sprites would be a humongous waste of space. This works for 3D models and their textures, too. This also works for gender differences, If any of you have poked around in the image data in video games you'll see there is a ton of potential for optimization.

Things like type and weight aren't recorded, as they're the same for every pokemon of that species.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#17FuneralCakePosted 7/3/2013 11:37:08 AM(edited)
Well, currently it takes 136 or 220 bytes (which is practically nothing) to store the data for a Pokemon, but then you have to take into account the cries, sprites (or models, skins, etc.) and all that. Still, it's really not very much space at all.

And then you consider that the Pokemon's data is stored separately (ie., the 136 or 220 bytes is just one particular instance of any given Pokemon) and the space that it takes to add in a new Pokemon just consists of the cry, sprite or model, all other physical data, and a few lookup tables... Yeah.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
i don't want to do things. i want to not do things.
#18Arne83Posted 7/3/2013 11:31:50 AM
ITT: TC doesn't understand increasing storage capacity.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#19Kitty8472Posted 7/4/2013 10:03:35 PM
While the topic itself is somewhat interesting to consider, I think most posters are correct: not only will this never happen, but people would overwhelmingly despise a game in which they couldn't import/transfer over pokemon from a previous generation. Or not be able to fill up the national dex just because the game "can't accommodate" so many pokemon.

GameFreak would sooner not put out another game than pull that kind of thing, I imagine.
---
Ayla fight while alive. Win and live. Lose and die. Rule of life. No change rule.
--Ayla (Chrono Trigger)
#20Digital_Knyte07Posted 7/4/2013 10:41:33 PM
lol no. new catridges hold buttloads of data. space will never be an issue.
---
I hate college but love all the parties
Finishing kegs and crushing bottles of Bacardi