This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Smogon down for a week

#31_KGC_Posted 7/3/2013 6:32:31 PM(edited)
Go post something on their forums. I've seen countless attack posts because someone asked a simple question and/or their post count was below 10. No matter how "silly" the question was. No matter how valid the statement.

To be fair there's literally a sticky topic where you could ask all your simple questions, if that didn't exist then the whole forum would consist of people asking their questions and thus flooding the whole forum. I could see why a Smogon mod would be a tad upset if the user failed to follow that rule. lol

Also from what I've seen even if a user broke that rule all the mod would do is redirect them to the sticky topic and close their topic.
---
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra
#32Capitan_KidPosted 7/3/2013 6:31:29 PM
Good. Hopefully that trash site never rears its ugly head ever again. Lol smoron
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#33I_Am_On_FirePosted 7/3/2013 7:45:04 PM
Archwing3441 posted...
I_Am_On_Fire posted...
The thing that annoys me the most about that is that I usually only use Smogon while I'm on vacation, which happens to be right when it gets taken down >_>

http://web.archive.org/web/20130509115113/http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

Well I'll be damned. Thanks a ton
---
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | 500 GB HDD | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 7x64
#34FeatherinePosted 7/3/2013 7:54:41 PM
_KGC_ posted...
Go post something on their forums. I've seen countless attack posts because someone asked a simple question and/or their post count was below 10. No matter how "silly" the question was. No matter how valid the statement.

To be fair there's literally a sticky topic where you could ask all your simple questions, if that didn't exist then the whole forum would consist of people asking their questions and thus flooding the whole forum. I could see why a Smogon mod would be a tad upset if the user failed to follow that rule. lol

Also from what I've seen even if a user broke that rule all the mod would do is redirect them to the sticky topic and close their topic.

Overall, all I see is overdramatization from the "attacked" since the usual response is as simple as that.
#35pokemonfreak97Posted 7/3/2013 7:55:58 PM
Akubarix posted...
Lexifox posted...
Anclation posted...
Pretty much. They never actually present any valid reasons for hating smogon, despite how much they bash the site.

Honestly, even the ones who might have a valid reason are still jerks for the fact that they take pleasure in countless hours of work and research and an entire community being screwed over.

Or maybe it's because they're the most elitist bunch of toolboxes to ever grace the series? Just because they make some rules, they suddenly think everyone has to abide by them. I also enjoy how they have small lists of how your Pokemon are "supposed" to work.

Do they give good tips? Sometimes. Do they deserve the hate? Yes. They don't work for game freak. They don't work for Nintendo. They don't make the rules. They're not the authority of Pokemon... Doesn't seem to stop them from talking down to people though.

/valid reasons

They don't think that everyone is required to follow their rules. Their tiers are enforced on their Showdown servers and nowhere else. Anyone who tries to enforce them anywhere else is not one of Smogon's administrators or top players; you don't get good by being a jerk.

Their sets are intended as a starting point and it's not that using the sets make players good, it's that what good players tend to do gets written down because it works. There's nothing wrong with using a set that's not written on Smogon, and they understand that. The good players generally use these sets as a reference for what the masses will be doing.

Give me one example of when an actual Smogon affiliate (not just Bob from Pallet Town with a Smogon account, someone who actually works with them) who has implied that people who follow other rulesets are inferior. They have a VGC tier using Nintendo/Game Freak's official rules and offer as much advice for that metagame as any they've created. They just try to make it easier to use Pokemon that are less useful. That's all the tiers do. If you want to use all Pokemon, play Ubers and see how well your Moltres works there. If you want Nintendo rules, they have those too.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#36scraadinPosted 7/3/2013 9:15:48 PM
I'm basically assuming at this point at the person who keeps hacking the Smogon servers is someone from this board. Someone not particularly bright from this board.

It's not just that Smogon is harmless as long as you don't get worked up, it's also, well, where do they think the Smogonites are going to wind up if their site is down?

Two or three gens back, this board was flooded with competitive players, and I had to knock heads together to get people to accept that there was room for casual play too. I can't be bothered to do that again in reverse.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#37MrFingers07Posted 7/3/2013 9:39:55 PM
I'm basically assuming at this point at the person who keeps hacking the Smogon servers is someone from this board. Someone not particularly bright from this board.

So you think someone who's not very bright can hack now? Funny.
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf
#38AlI_About_The_UPosted 7/3/2013 9:40:50 PM
I'm basically assuming at this point at the person who keeps hacking the Smogon servers is someone from this board

Why do you assume this?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#39scraadinPosted 7/4/2013 11:27:40 AM
It could be random, but it's happened twice now, so I'm leaning towards vendetta. And there are a whole lot of people here who don't like Smogon.

And yeah, I can believe in not-particularly intelligent hackers. I've known quite a few coders over the years. It's a field just like any other, with its geniuses, and its people who don't have much else going on in their heads.

Maybe things have shifted a bit, maybe they haven't, but a decade ago, you could just download hacking tools off the net. Didn't take much brainpower.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.