This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else gonna choose one Pokemon from each gen?

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 7/3/2013 3:29:14 PM
Six slots on the team, six gens total now... perfectly simple idea. :)

Also, on a totally unrelated note: I've never played Pokemon competitively. Is it possible to win by pure strategy instead of focusing on EVs/IVs and sucking the fun out of the game? I respect that might be fun to SOME people, but not for me.
#2X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/3/2013 3:32:18 PM
No as I don't have anyone from Gen V on any of my teams I don't think.
All are from Gen I II IV I think. Not sure if I... wait no Metagross is from III... Milotic too
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#3HalfbakedharryPosted 7/3/2013 4:31:32 PM
Frog team and rodent team here I come!
on a side note I don't want anymore generations
---
I'll think of a good signature someday.
#4AkubarixPosted 7/3/2013 4:34:35 PM
I tend to lean on the first 4 gens. I do have a few trained gen 5 pokes, but I rarely use them. Ultimately, don't care so long as I can have Scyther, Alakazam and Haunter on my team.
---
No matter where I stand, I'm alone.
#5NessEggmanPosted 7/3/2013 4:49:55 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

Also, on a totally unrelated note: I've never played Pokemon competitively. Is it possible to win by pure strategy instead of focusing on EVs/IVs and sucking the fun out of the game? I respect that might be fun to SOME people, but not for me.

Depending on how I interpret the logic of that, the answer would be yes...

But I'm guessing the answer you're really looking for is no.

IVs are not completely necessary but will give you an advantage. However, they are not that hard to get, and if you want to fully utlize the breeding features the game has (instead of completely ignore them and never use them even once...) then you can easily get just one or two IVs that you need, which is plenty for most competitive mons.

However, EVs are hardly "sucking the fun out of the game." If you appreciate strategy, and don't mind doing like 10 minutes of battling/vitamins to get EVs, then EVs add to the strategy of building a team. Are you sure you like to play with strategy...?
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#6Zacks_FairPosted 7/3/2013 4:51:58 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

IVs aren't important, but EV's really help. But focus more on strategy and team synergy.

But what most people don't realize is that its 70% strategy, 20% EV's and stuff, and 10% luck (like with chance things like hitting yourself with confusion can cost you the match.)
---
Xerneas is Psychic/Rock, Yveltal Dark/Flying (speculation)
#7TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 5:02:29 PM
NessEggman posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

Depending on how I interpret the logic of that, the answer would be yes...

But I'm guessing the answer you're really looking for is no.

IVs are not completely necessary but will give you an advantage. However, they are not that hard to get, and if you want to fully utlize the breeding features the game has (instead of completely ignore them and never use them even once...) then you can easily get just one or two IVs that you need, which is plenty for most competitive mons.

However, EVs are hardly "sucking the fun out of the game." If you appreciate strategy, and don't mind doing like 10 minutes of battling/vitamins to get EVs, then EVs add to the strategy of building a team. Are you sure you like to play with strategy...?

imo strategy in a game should be achieved due to information given to you IN THE GAME. EVs as interpreted by the fans are an extra chore, busy work. I always liked them for their original purpose (making all Pokemon of the same kind different statistically so one can randomly be better than the other)
#8RDS1Posted 7/3/2013 5:02:39 PM
Maybe; I have to see what Pokemon are available first.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#9GameNinjaGuyPosted 7/3/2013 5:07:27 PM
There isn't much strategy in pokemon, mostly tactics. Just saying.

http://www.lowtechcombat.com/2011/08/finally-differences-between-strategy.html

On topic: yeah I might do that, probably only for a second playthrough though because I want to try out new pokes.
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
My SSB4 roster: http://tinyurl.com/ctaqf3x
#10Zacks_FairPosted 7/3/2013 5:46:27 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...

imo strategy in a game should be achieved due to information given to you IN THE GAME. EVs as interpreted by the fans are an extra chore, busy work. I always liked them for their original purpose (making all Pokemon of the same kind different statistically so one can randomly be better than the other)

You are thinking of IVs. Those are the "random" ones. And the game clearly acknowledges EV's, it's not a fan thing. Hell, there are NPC's in the series that reward you for a fully EV'd pokemon, and they implemented power items. Hell, they basically threw it at you in Gen 3 with the Winstrate family.
---
Xerneas is Psychic/Rock, Yveltal Dark/Flying (speculation)