This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon X/Y should have an unbeatable foe early in the game.

#21Meta289Posted 7/4/2013 6:36:57 AM
supremeblaster posted...
Meta289 posted...
supremeblaster posted...
Lexifox posted...
How would this add to the story or improve the experience?

It'll give you a sense that you got much stronger throughout your journey when you defeat the guy in the second confrontation. I think it'd be worth adding, though our opinions may differ on that.

Thing is, you could very well just powergrind before the battle and take them out.

If this game has the same exp system as B/W, then that wouldn't work, as you when your pokemon get a good amount of levels higher than the wild pokemon, your pokes will start to recieve 0 exp.

I'm pretty sure that you always got at least 1 exp. Besides, there's nothing from keeping you from just having someone trade you a powerful Pokemon.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#22impatientpersonPosted 7/4/2013 6:58:35 AM
I like the idea but like others said... it'd be really hard to guarantee a loss. They could maybe block trading until after the encounter but it still would be possible to train forever (almost literally forever...) and get your pokemon high enough. I guess they could modify the experience system to give 0xp when you get a certain amount of levels ahead (maybe just wild pokemon?). Also I don't know if people would be happy having to wait to trade.

I guess the easiest way would be to do it very early on... but then it's a boring fight with probably just your starter. Too early and you're stuck with a super small pool of pokemon, too late and it's harder to control what you'll have in your party and still guarantee a loss. Plus you need a nice amount of time for you to really work up to defeating them.

Also I'm not sure Pokemon would lend itself too well to this type of situation... It would just be the opponent instantly disposing of your party. You would just have to knowingly send your pokemon to their doom...

That all being said, if they can make it work I'd love to see it. Also I don't think I've played that many games that have a situation like this (not really a fan of JRPGs) so I don't know what kind of situations other games have.
---
This user is awesome!:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=927246&topic=44002798
#23ZTIger5Posted 7/4/2013 7:02:20 AM
I guess it depends on how they pull it off and the context in which you have to fight him/her. Like if they have ridiculously high leveled pokemon compared to yours. I'm kinda uneasy about the idea, but it could be cool if they get it right.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#24KoS_V2Posted 7/4/2013 8:04:24 AM
I'd rather have the opponent just have one of his pokemon blast me out of battle, knocking me out.

Quicker, and I won't waste items.
---
KeeperOfShadows is busy at the moment. Leave a message with me and he will get back to you whenever he feels like it.
#25WutengPosted 7/4/2013 8:05:13 AM
a very ff idea
---
Max 2380-3218-5410
#26JustinTheJaggedPosted 7/4/2013 8:06:41 AM
I've never been a fan of fights you can't win in games, and this would be no exception.
---
Gamer for life, 31 years and counting.
A life without video games is not a life worth living.
#27supremeblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 8:14:49 AM
KoS_V2 posted...
I'd rather have the opponent just have one of his pokemon blast me out of battle, knocking me out.

Quicker, and I won't waste items.

The opponent would one shot you in battle anyway, so you won't get any turns to waste items in.
#28teamaquashockPosted 7/4/2013 8:15:54 AM
I would feel really bad for the people that restart the game immediately after losing to someone... They'll never progress through the game if they didn't know you were suppose to lose.
---
Palutena: "I really can't imagine you being in a "melee".
Pit: "That's because I wasn't -_-" 3DS Friend Code: 0430-9368-3384
#29AuthorNumber2Posted 7/4/2013 8:16:19 AM
supremeblaster posted...
Many games have done this over the years; introduce a new incredibly strong character early in the game for you fight. You're too weak for him and he takes the win. This gives you encouragement to get stronger in order to beat him in your next confrontation.

Some Pokemon games tried to do with e.g Norman, Aqua/Magma Leader and Fantina(I think). But it wasn't the same, as you never even got to battle them.

So what do you guys think, should there be an unbeatable foe early in the game for you to battle?

This.
#30LeoAlephPosted 7/5/2013 9:58:15 PM
NOOOO!! My Nuzlocke runs!!!D: