This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon X/Y should have an unbeatable foe early in the game.

#31Alty1Posted 7/5/2013 10:05:30 PM
No.

Unbeatable boss fights suck.
#32trinityEDGEPosted 7/5/2013 10:06:21 PM
Trade in a Prankster Riolu with Roar (will obey due to low level) then dedicate your other 5 slots to putting hazards. Congratulations, you've won.
#33Motorhead17Posted 7/6/2013 5:50:57 AM
I could see it working great if it was implemented well. They could even use it to change up the story from you being some random kid that gets a pokedex and saves the world by giving you a better back story. I would like to see it as this:

You start off in an arena type setting. You're an experienced trainer from a previous region that was invited to a tournament in kalos. You have a set of 3 pokemon from your native region with you that just happen to have poor stat spreads and move pools. The first opponent you come up against is one of the big shots from kalos and all of his pokemon have type advantages over yours and maybe some buffed stats to basically guarantee his win. After getting your ass handed to you the local professor offers you a chance to work with him in filling out the new pokedex and you decide to run the gyms in this region to make a comeback. You send your original 3 pokemon to a friend back home and start off the new adventure.

That would work to avoid the trading in a powerful pokemon right away issue and could also be used as a teaser for the bigger, more powerful pokemon you would find later on.
---
"Ive never had my hopes raised and dashed in such a short amount of time... I have hopelash." Dale Gribble
#34X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/6/2013 7:35:44 AM
Alty1 posted...
No.

Unbeatable boss fights suck.

This.
Saw one of my friends hacked up one of the GCN games (Can't remember if it was Colosseum or XD as they both are mixed into one in my mind), and they made Eagun win against the Cipher guy, even though it still counted as a loss after the battle.

I don't like unbeatable bosses as there's no point to them.

ALSO you can lose already you know. When you pick your Pokémon and then fight your rival you have a small chance of losing the fight. That's enough.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#35impatientpersonPosted 7/6/2013 8:39:29 PM
Motorhead17 posted...
I could see it working great if it was implemented well. They could even use it to change up the story from you being some random kid that gets a pokedex and saves the world by giving you a better back story. I would like to see it as this:

You start off in an arena type setting. You're an experienced trainer from a previous region that was invited to a tournament in kalos. You have a set of 3 pokemon from your native region with you that just happen to have poor stat spreads and move pools. The first opponent you come up against is one of the big shots from kalos and all of his pokemon have type advantages over yours and maybe some buffed stats to basically guarantee his win. After getting your ass handed to you the local professor offers you a chance to work with him in filling out the new pokedex and you decide to run the gyms in this region to make a comeback. You send your original 3 pokemon to a friend back home and start off the new adventure.

That would work to avoid the trading in a powerful pokemon right away issue and could also be used as a teaser for the bigger, more powerful pokemon you would find later on.

That actually sounds pretty great. Maybe even having the story centered around how learning to grow with your pokemon is important or something cheesy like that. It could totally work... I wanna see it.
---
This user is awesome!:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=927246&topic=44002798
#36jayman7Posted 7/6/2013 8:44:17 PM
Unwinnable battles early in a game can have a dramatic purpose - "Look how strong this guy is and imagine just how much work you're going to have to put into beating him!" - but in this franchise, you'd pretty much have to have it pre-trading in order to not make it an utter joke by just trading in some high-level 'mons (even if they don't obey you, high-level is high-level).
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#37Zoramon089Posted 7/6/2013 9:24:44 PM
I HATE these in games. Especially when you go through and use all your items only to find the fight wasn't beatable anyway
---
Pokemon Black FC: 4470 0364 4689
"Have you actually seen the scene in question? It needs some crackers to go with its cheese." - Poppadop
#38Zacks_FairPosted 7/7/2013 1:06:32 AM
Zoramon089 posted...
I HATE these in games. Especially when you go through and use all your items only to find the fight wasn't beatable anyway

What's worse is when you are so used to these kind of battles, when you come across a boss that is stupidly hard, but beatable, and you're all like "Oh its an unbeatable boss. I'll just wait til he kills me"

Then cue game over screen.
---
Xerneas is Psychic/Rock, Yveltal Dark/Flying (speculation)
#39greppsPosted 7/7/2013 1:14:44 AM
TG_Wolf posted...
A pokemon that battles with human-mons, totally OP.

Pretty sure this happened in one of the movies you could make in B/W 2.
#40SammuthegreatPosted 7/7/2013 1:27:15 AM
Nooooooooope. I absolutely loathe being beaten by the Power of Plot. I'm not saying it would stop me buying the game, but it would certainly piss me off a great deal.

Besides I almost exclusively Nuzlocke so this would absolutely suck; once I knew it was there though I'd just go into the battle with a single level 2 first-route-Bug and lose on purpose. But that would be a really lame thing to have to do.