This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm still kinda on the fence about these games

#1SamuraiLloydPosted 7/5/2013 8:06:59 AM
I've been a fan of Pokemon since the Red and Blue days and have played at least one of every main series game up to this point (excluding Black2/White 2). Though I've never been into the competitive multiplayer scene and I doubt I ever will be, I've thoroughly loved the Pokemon games since I was a kid. It's a franchise that's near and dear to my heart.

However, when X and Y were announced, things have been a little different. Instead of being extremely excited and looking forward to what crazy new Pokemon I would use, I instead basically responded with "meh". Even as new Pokemon started being announced, my basic reaction was "well that certainly is a thing that exists".

For some reason, even though I foresee myself buying at least one version of X and Y, I just can't get excited for it no matter how hard I try. While some features like Trainer Customization interest me greatly, overall my excitement for the game has not been very high. I don't know if these games just don't look that pleasing to me or if I'm experiencing some form of "franchise burnout" due to how much I played the previous titles.

Anyone else here going through a similar situation?
---
"I just beat Mag-Freaking-Neto! Where yo curly mustache at?!" - Deadpool
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage
#2Arne83Posted 7/5/2013 8:09:33 AM
I actually felt the same way with gen 3. But I ended up sticking with it, and my love of the series was renewed. Who knows, the same might happen to you.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#3SorrowOfAcheronPosted 7/5/2013 8:11:10 AM
I 'lost' interest in Pokemon early 2012, but I think that's because I was somewhat forced to not be able to play. When BW2 came out, I got into the whole competitive scene and I've been enjoying it since.
---
GamerTag: SorrowOfAcheron, RageOfFenrisulf
Eurynome, Lv.200 Sorcerer
#4GoGoatPosted 7/5/2013 8:21:24 AM
I've been a lot more excited about Gen 6 than I was for Gen 5. 5 is what gave me the whole "meh" feeling before it was released.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board
#5Grey_TygrePosted 7/5/2013 8:33:55 AM
SamuraiLloyd posted...
Stuff this samurai dude said...

Anyone else here going through a similar situation?

YES! For the longest time after HeartGold/SoulSilver I just couldn't get into Pokemon like I used to. I saw my little monsters as numbers and type variance and movesets, but that was it. No love, no concern, I didn't care if my little bird pokemon got wiped out as long as I won the fight. I skipped White/Black because I just couldn't get into it. Bought a copy, wound up shucking it off to my sister 'cause I was all "Meh" about it.

Then Black/White2 came out and I learned about Nuzlocke challenges. Since I'm not an artist, I kept a journal/diary about what I was doing in-game, how I felt about things etc. It made the game more real and important to me, I did my best not to let anyone die or betray what I felt the pokemon felt about me. It's sappy and silly to some, but I really cared about those little monsters and felt real loss when one fainted, as per the rules of a Nuzlocke, that meant they were dead and gone.

I plan on doing the same for X/Y, a blind Nuzlocke that is, and we'll see how I do on that, but that's what my situation was and what changed it. :)

Hope you figure out what to do with your own views.
---
3DS FC is 0920-0012-7211
NNID is Llesnouh
#6ClassyOldHatPosted 7/5/2013 8:34:04 AM
Well, I haven't gone through franchise burnout for Pokemon yet, but I have for a couple other series. Just take a break from the series. If you find you miss it, come back, if not, you can just forget about it.
#7PkmTrainerAbramPosted 7/5/2013 8:39:01 AM
I took a break for older games and series after BW came out. Best choice I ever made.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online), Rocket Knight Adventures(Sega Genesis)
#8Ether_SwordPosted 7/5/2013 8:50:56 AM
I could only imagine these people who are on fence still aren't big in the competitive scene. Each new generation, the game can only get better due to more variety in teams.
#9AysanderPosted 7/5/2013 8:56:54 AM
Ether_Sword posted...
I could only imagine these people who are on fence still aren't big in the competitive scene. Each new generation, the game can only get better due to more variety in teams.

That's debatable, though. People will most likely stick with old favorites for the longest time until Smogon or PO simulators prove the new pokes can hold their own, sadly.