This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any other reformed genwunners on this board?

#21dwdwdw6Posted 7/5/2013 10:20:19 AM
CM_Ponch posted...
There is no excuse for the complete lack of puzzles before the 8th gym.

Elesa's Roller coaster?
Brycen's Ice Path?
Clay's Elevators?
Skyla's Cannons?

Every dungeon and gym had a gimmick, but instead of challenging you to think (akin to Pryce's gym)

lol

Like seriously, his logic to justify his opinions is so bad that its not even funny.
#22CM_PonchPosted 7/5/2013 10:22:09 AM
To be a PUZZLE, there has to be a wrong way

So Brycen's Ice Path, Clay's elevators, and Skyla's Cannons.

There is literally no other possible option.

But that's wrong
---
http://i.minus.com/iMiDLgXxPQ0kY.gif
#23iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 10:47:43 AM
CM_Ponch posted...
To be a PUZZLE, there has to be a wrong way

So Brycen's Ice Path, Clay's elevators, and Skyla's Cannons.

There is literally no other possible option.

But that's wrong

No it's not. There is no other possible option for Skyla's cannons. You walk in a cannon, it points in the direction you are supposed to go and shoots you there. You fight the trainer, you enter the ONLY OTHER CANNON available to you that doesn't go backwards, it shoots you to the next area, you fight the trainer, rinse and repeat. I guess if you are 5 years old you might be able to go the wrong way in Brycen's Ice Path but I can't think of any easier way to design an ice puzzle. Now Johto and Kanto didn't have all perfect gyms, some of theme didn't even have a puzzle, but when they did, they presented some semblance of a challenge. And I'll remind you, the last time I played Crystal was 2 years ago, and since I've looked at a picture of Pryce's gym, they STILL require me to think a bit.

Part of the issue is that the gyms were designed to be short. Clay's and Burgh's gyms could have been so much more if they offered more extensive branching paths, but it's more, take a wrong path, see its wrong, maybe fight a trainer, go the back.

Take off your novelty goggles. I understand liking a story, or liking a more linear path, or liking more complex designs, but the gyms in BW are objectively easier. I've actually looked at pictures of them and played them recently, my entire playthrough I was left wondering when I'd end up somewhere where I had to think.

I'm seriously not sure if you are trolling me or not. Every time we do this, I offer up loads of evidence, you just keep repeating that I'm wrong.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#24P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/5/2013 10:58:12 AM
I was never a genwunner because I personally grew up with both Gens I and II, but I understand from where genwunners come from. Thinking back to my childhood and comparing it to today, Pokemon was a worldwide phenom, even more so than it is now; everyone you talked to had cards, or games, and whenever I saw an N64 it either had Snap, Stadium, or Smash Bros in it. The atmosphere of the first generation was incredible, and today, for me, it doesn't seem as extensive as it once had; you can't talk to people about anything anymore without someone saying you shouldn't be playing it, or being called a child. I really don't know whether to attribute that to people growing up or to the franchise losing steam, but either way, it's somewhat depressing. I still love the series, and I always will, but again, it doesn't feel the same anymore (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, because the new games do trump the old in regards to features and gameplay, but still...)
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#25CM_PonchPosted 7/5/2013 11:28:06 AM
No it's not. There is no other possible option for Skyla's cannons. You walk in a cannon, it points in the direction you are supposed to go and shoots you there. You fight the trainer, you enter the ONLY OTHER CANNON available to you that doesn't go backwards, it shoots you to the next area, you fight the trainer, rinse and repea

That's more of a puzzle than 90% of RBY and GSC's puzzles

I guess if you are 5 years old you might be able to go the wrong way in Brycen's Ice Path but I can't think of any easier way to design an ice puzzle

Says the guy who struggles whit Pryce's puzzle

Now Johto and Kanto didn't have all perfect gyms, some of theme didn't even have a puzzle, but when they did, they presented some semblance of a challenge.

Brock, Misty, Erika, and Blaine were straight walks to the gym leader
Surge wasn't even a puzzle, it was just luck that you didn't check the wrong can
Koga's invisible wall takes you in a straight spiral to him
Sabrina's puzzle isn't even a puzzle until the second time you've run around the gym finding out which warp takes you where
Giovanni's gym is an even weaker version the Rocket base

The only Johto gyms with actual puzzles were Pryce and Whitney, and even then Whitney's puzzle is even easier than Skyla's

Part of the issue is that the gyms were designed to be short. Clay's and Burgh's gyms could have been so much more if they offered more extensive branching paths, but it's more, take a wrong path, see its wrong, maybe fight a trainer, go the back.

Burgh's gym did have you fight hidden trainers

Take off your novelty goggles. I understand liking a story, or liking a more linear path, or liking more complex designs, but the gyms in BW are objectively easier. I've actually looked at pictures of them and played them recently, my entire playthrough I was left wondering when I'd end up somewhere where I had to think.

I'm seriously not sure if you are trolling me or not. Every time we do this, I offer up loads of evidence, you just keep repeating that I'm wrong.

Because you are wrong. You finding a puzzle easy doesn't change its status as a puzzle
---
http://i.minus.com/iMiDLgXxPQ0kY.gif
#26Thepenguinking2Posted 7/5/2013 11:31:09 AM
I act like a genwunner a few times despite the fact that gen 1 is my least favorite.
I'm mostly a gen 4 fanboy though.
---
Mentions of Zangoose since 6/27/2013 as of this post: 23
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board!
#27AankheinPosted 7/5/2013 11:35:23 AM
OP, you have become an infidel.

Gen 1 + Gen 2 >>>> all
---
Aankhein-e-Tajdar
#28snae99Posted 7/5/2013 11:41:20 AM
I was never a genwunner. I loved Gen 1, 2 and 3 but absolutely hated Gen 4. Eventually I grew to like gen 4 a bit (still the worst imo) and I love Gen 5.
---
Currently playing: Dragon Age: Origins and Peace Walker
GOTY so far: Fire Emblem Awakening
#29RoobitysuPosted 7/5/2013 11:44:28 AM
X_Ayumi_X posted...
iKhanic posted...
CM_Ponch posted...
This explains so much

Still, Gen 5 was definitely disappointing. Not because of the pokemon or the mechanics, but because of the weak level and world design, something I weigh more heavily than other fans.

Also, I've mentioned this before. Idk why it's surprising.

I say you're still a Genwunner then because you got those goggles on way too tight that you're unable to see.

I actually agree with iKhanic. I loved how tangled and big Sinnoh was, then we got Unova which was just going from route-to-route. So boring, man.
#30iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 11:45:49 AM
CM_Ponch posted...
I guess if you are 5 years old you might be able to go the wrong way in Brycen's Ice Path but I can't think of any easier way to design an ice puzzle

Says the guy who struggles whit Pryce's puzzle

Now Johto and Kanto didn't have all perfect gyms, some of theme didn't even have a puzzle, but when they did, they presented some semblance of a challenge.

Brock, Misty, Erika, and Blaine were straight walks to the gym leader
Surge wasn't even a puzzle, it was just luck that you didn't check the wrong can
Koga's invisible wall takes you in a straight spiral to him
Sabrina's puzzle isn't even a puzzle until the second time you've run around the gym finding out which warp takes you where
Giovanni's gym is an even weaker version the Rocket base

The only Johto gyms with actual puzzles were Pryce and Whitney, and even then Whitney's puzzle is even easier than Skyla's

Please enlighten me on how Pryce's gym is easy. Do you instantly know how to navigate it as soon as you see the puzzle? I'm looking at it right now, and it takes me at least a minute to think though.

Sabrina's gym was a memory puzzle, Giovanni's gym again was still a puzzle because there was a wrong way to go about it. I haven't played Yellow in a very long time, but looking at a picture, yes, Fuschia city's gym is easy like Clay's gym, but there it's still a puzzle because you can go the wrong way.

Morty, Pryce, and Clair's gyms were all puzzles. Morty's wasn't good, but it was a puzzle. Whitney's gym was not a puzzle unless you were trying to fight as few trainers as possible. In Whitney's gym, again there is no wrong way.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board