This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just noticed how other RPG series could be kinda stale if done like Pokemon

#1TaticalWarriorPosted 7/5/2013 6:10:02 PM
Like FF, for example. Imagine this:

After FF IX, instead of FFX announcing a new form of ATB, the CTB, controlabe summons, new level system, party member change during battle, new equipment system with customization, new overdrive system, and other things, the game would feature the exact same code from IX, and aside new maps, characters and presentation, the new and exciting features would be the following:

- New black magic revealed! Firaja, a fire elemental magic, dealing 120 magic power damage, costing 60 MP!
- Behold the new enemey, Red Goblin! A very evil little one! Be careful around those!
- In addition to the Fire, Lightning, Ice and Wind elements, the Holy and Darkness elements are being added in the mix! Holy is effective against Dark based monsters, while Dark, Darkra and Darkga are effective against Holy monsters!
- Besaid Village! A charming little village where you can buy Potions, Bastard Swords and find Wedge, the NPC!
- Wedge and Briggs are the new two characters who will aid you in your quest! During some points of the game, talking to those NPCs in specific spots you net you some Gysahl Greens!
- Travel faster using the all new dash-button! Hold be to run around the world!
- You can ride a chocobo in Calm Lands!
- New camera angles!
- All new exciting Mag Defense stat!

Well, you got the idea. I really love Pokémon, and I know that I am reducing this to absurd, but sometimes, I feel like when a new pokemon is announced, things works differenly for it. As a new POKEMON, it is fine, and we all love it, but viewing it as a new GAME, from a gaming viewpoint, the changes are mostly too small compared to how a series changes its mechanics in prequels and sequels. Of course, CoD, FIFA, etc are things to have in mind.
Note: this is not about something being right or not, just noticing how another series doing like Pokémon would be weird.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#2surferguy7Posted 7/5/2013 6:13:17 PM
I think the difference is that 10x more life and energy is put into a single Pokémon than some arbitrary enemy from another RPG. With each new Pokémon, you have to analyze it's stats, movepool, abilities, and typing in order to see how it stacks up against the current metagame. A single Pokémon could do nothing at all, or be game changing.

But yes, I get where you're coming from.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#3X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/5/2013 6:14:39 PM
Funny TC. I thought the last good FF was FFIX...
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#4ElSilverWindPosted 7/5/2013 6:17:22 PM
It might have made Final Fantasy XIII suck less.
#5zurcnPosted 7/5/2013 6:17:35 PM
ah... can I just say apples to oranges and gross generalization and leave it at that?

don't feel like "fix'd" the TC's post
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#6TaticalWarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 6:19:49 PM
zurcn posted...
ah... can I just say apples to oranges and gross generalization and leave it at that?

don't feel like "fix'd" the TC's post

I think that the gross generalization is already implied in the post, but think a little about the idea behind it.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#7zurcnPosted 7/5/2013 6:26:48 PM(edited)
how cool would it be to have the "hunting arena thingy" from FF X (near the calm land) adapted to pokemon?

let's say:

faint X of certain pokemon and unlock extra sections in the pokedex (trivia, movelist, 3d model,...)
complete a set and unlock a fight against a previous gen legendary
(uncapturable)

edit: I may be mixing it a bit with the FF XII system. been a while since I played either
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#8X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/5/2013 6:23:49 PM
zurcn posted...
how cool would it be to have the "hunting arena thingy" from FF X (near the calm land) adapted to pokemon?

let's say:

faint X of certain pokemon and unlock extra sections in the pokedex (trivia, movelist, 3d model,...)
complete a set and unlock a fight against a previous gen legendary
(uncapturable)

No.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#9zurcnPosted 7/5/2013 6:25:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Jarred623Posted 7/5/2013 6:27:39 PM
FFXIII-2.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.