This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me how Charizard "sucks?"

#21ZTIger5Posted 7/5/2013 10:41:58 PM
They're really just referring to competitive battles; more specifically Stealth Rock. Because apparently every pokemon in existence can learn it and its the most devastating attack in the history of ever.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#22Ephemeral_BeingPosted 7/5/2013 10:42:09 PM
It takes tons of damage from Stealth Rocks, mainly. Entry hazards kill.
---
Coniido, 200 Buccaneer
PeriTheLame, 16X Bishop
#23jagddorsaPosted 7/5/2013 11:35:15 PM
If Game Freak does just one thing next gen, I want them to nerf Stealth Rock. Change it to a multi turn setup like Spikes and Toxic Spikes, add more "Rapid Spin" type moves and users, anything would be good. Some medium-to-weak existing moves could conceivably remove hazards... Whirlpool, Whirlwind, Icy Wind, Razor Wind, Sliver Wind, Twister. Game Freak has a lot of options, but for some reason I think they'll just add a new entry hazard, like "Fairy Dust" or something.
---
http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Jefe
http://www.xfire.com/profile/jefejefejefe
#24jneal57Posted 7/5/2013 11:45:31 PM
it doesn't suck.......but i have a rock and water in my team...so......to my team he sucks
---
:3 kitty kitty
#25LeoAlephPosted 7/5/2013 11:47:29 PM
Stealth Rocks. Rock type attacks in general.
#26HrothdanePosted 7/6/2013 12:12:02 AM
Because people overuse stealth rock.

Gamefreak either needs to get rid of it or add similar entry hazards for other types to even things out.
#27Kinger1000Posted 7/6/2013 1:48:27 AM
Honestly, with the new Fairy Type taking out Dragons, I feel that Charizard might be more popular competitively this Gen
#28radred2004Posted 7/6/2013 2:55:10 AM(edited)
Melkac posted...
Stealth Rock, Fire/Flying.

To build off this, bad defenses.

Kinger1000 posted...
Honestly, with the new Fairy Type taking out Dragons, I feel that Charizard might be more popular competitively this Gen

The only way he becomes more competitive is changing his type to fire/dragon. Other dragons have nothing to do with him. Bad defenses and 4x weakness will always cripple Charizard.
---
White: Daisy 1550 0892 3564 Gold: Gold 3268 1023 8138
#29AysanderPosted 7/6/2013 3:08:26 AM
Charizard definitely needs a good +SpE or +SpA/+SpE move, I.E quiver dance, or a new equivalent.

Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, and Stone Edge availability, especially on faster pokes, doesn't help charizard. I imagine Protect/Overheat/Air Slash/Dragon Pulse Zard could work in doubles with Tailwind or Trickroom support, but he still has mediocre SpA and SpE compared to other run-of-the-mill fire types, such as Magmar and Moltres.

TBH, as much as I love fire types..I usually use them in doubles where I can couple them with an adequate partner to cover their weaknesses...but Doubles and Triples are an altogether different competitive scene compared to singles in some senses.
#30iKhanicPosted 7/6/2013 5:47:55 AM
So much misinformation in this topic.

Charizard's defenses aren't bad, they are actually pretty good for a sweeper that's not legendary, no other fire starter but Typhlosion has better defenses.

Fire/Flying isn't a bad typing, it's actually pretty average. It only has 3 weaknesses, earthquake, spikes, and toxic spikes immunity, TWO 4x resistances, resistance to three different priority moves, and fighting resistances.

The problem is that solar power makes even resisted hits hurt badly.

Charizard's not a wall or anything, but people are pretty ignorant of its defensive decency.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board