This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me how Charizard "sucks?"

#31gladwyn101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 9:35:49 AM
So the primary complaint is that Charizard doesn't work with self-abuse strategies and x4 weakness to rock types?

You know, there's a very simple solution to those problems. Just don't use Charizard against rock types and don't use one with the Solar Power ability or Belly Drum if those strategies are difficult to pull off. Don't try to fly the "lead balloon."
---
4e is not D&D, but WoW making a Disguise check.
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon
#32feeltheninjutsuPosted 7/6/2013 9:52:17 AM
gladwyn101 posted...
So the primary complaint is that Charizard doesn't work with self-abuse strategies and x4 weakness to rock types?

You know, there's a very simple solution to those problems. Just don't use Charizard against rock types and don't use one with the Solar Power ability or Belly Drum if those strategies are difficult to pull off. Don't try to fly the "lead balloon."

Stealth Rock bro. It's used in almost every battle.

And rock types aren't the only pokemon that know rock moves.
---
"Not everything is a lesson. Sometimes you just fail." - Dwight Schrute
"I don't get high, life keeps me at a decent height." -Lupe Fiasco
#33SakuraiyaPosted 7/6/2013 10:21:02 AM
feeltheninjitsu posted...
gladwyn101 posted...

If stealth rock it's being used in almost every battle (which seems to be the case). Bring a pokemon with rapid spin. Even with Charizard bring "bad" as people says it is, I am still able to win with it.
---
3DS: 0834-1353-9679 PSN: Sachiko-Chan
Steam: Mandikiri Xbox Live: xXDreadAngelXx
#34PentaoPosted 7/6/2013 10:31:11 AM
He sucks in a competitive sense. It's not impossible to win with him or anything, but you are at a disadvantage using him.

Taking away his Stealth Rock weakness and Solar Power & Belly Drum self suicide weaknesses, you still have a very lack luster Pokemon.

None of his weaknesses are all that uncommon, he's not that fast, he's not that bulky, he's not that powerful. Unlike Pokemon with flat out base 100s, he can't do enough with any of his stats. His movepool leans too much into physical territory when he's more designated for special attacks (Typhlosion ALSO suffers from this). If you want something to spit flamethrowers or fire blasts, there's a whole league of other Pokemon who can do it better (Houndoom, Moltres, and Volcorona to name a few) that can also do other things while they're at it. Some of these boast priority, dual stabs, boosting moves, higher survivability, better team support, etc.

Charizard doesn't "suck" as much as he is an inferior option to other things.

That said, if you like him, you can still use him and try to win. It can make battles more fun.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#35YourLuckPosted 7/6/2013 11:17:56 AM
Sakuraiya posted...
feeltheninjitsu posted...
gladwyn101 posted...

If stealth rock it's being used in almost every battle (which seems to be the case). Bring a pokemon with rapid spin. Even with Charizard bring "bad" as people says it is, I am still able to win with it.

The problem is you have to build a Charizard team to use him efficiently. A lot of the 'stronger' (note: OU) pokemon don't need specific set-ups.

Also, TC, this topic didn't need to be made. You can just search up Charizard on the search bar and you'll find soo many topics about him.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#36fuzi11Posted 7/6/2013 11:22:34 AM
It's the usual "It's popular so I have to hate it"
#37Svedeesh_CheffPosted 7/6/2013 7:21:15 PM
Because the Great Almighty Metagame dictates that it shall forever be dominated by happy frogs, cute ponies, mustachioed genies, and (starting with XY) cute little pink fairies. All of which are bad for Charizard, except for the fairies, which make sure that you can't even use Dragon-types that are half as cool as Charizard.
---
Dimentio, Fawful, Waluigi, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Reshiram, Zekrom, Hilda, Hades, Ryu, Sora, Riku, Nightmare and Wreck-It Ralph for SSB4!
#38LexifoxPosted 7/6/2013 7:29:21 PM
fuzi11 posted...

Or its fairly common weaknesses, iffy stats, a shallow movepool that doesn't work with its stats...
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#39Svedeesh_CheffPosted 7/6/2013 7:31:29 PM
Lexifox posted...
fuzi11 posted...

Or its fairly common weaknesses, iffy stats, a shallow movepool that doesn't work with its stats...

Wait for it: Rose Thorns is real, and won't cancel out SR. People will be spamming both with Ferrothorn (who will be even better thanks to Fairies being Steel-weak), and Swampert will drop to NU too. So might Cloyster, since stacking them will give it the equivalent of a double SR weakness.
---
Dimentio, Fawful, Waluigi, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Reshiram, Zekrom, Hilda, Hades, Ryu, Sora, Riku, Nightmare and Wreck-It Ralph for SSB4!
#40slothicaPosted 7/6/2013 8:00:03 PM
Bad typing, bad type distribution, and the lack of good coverage moves on the special side. Too frail to take advantage of Blaze, and is only really memorable in the sun under Solar Power, which causes the frail lizard to lose HP every turn.

Charizard just isn't that great. Awesome pokemon and one of my favorites, but sadly just not very good.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
I died and went to heaven. Apparently I'm on the ban list.