This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Branching Evolutions

#1buszzaw101Posted 7/6/2013 1:46:50 AM
I'm not referring to Kirlia evolving into either Gardevoir or Gallade. I'm talking about something like both Poochyena and Houndour being able to evolve into Houndoom along with Poochyena being able to evolve in Mightyena. Other examples would be like both Caterpie and Wurmple evolving into Metapod in addition to Wurmple evolving into Silcoon/Cascoon or both Gligar and Skorupi evolving into Gliscor in addition to Skorupi evolving into Drapion

I think this would be a great way to tie in pokemon of different regions. Obviously Shellder and Camperl aren't related, but i could definitely see Clamperl evolving into a Cloyster. It would also help show that the pokemon world is connected more rather than having each region have their own versions of specific pokemon (the pseudo dragon, the early game bird, the bland fish, etc). If branching families are introduced, all regions would be related to one another through their native pokemon (at least more so than they are currently related)

Obviously the branched evolutions would need new evolution methods, but i think it would add a new "adapting" mechanic to the game. A lot of the game is based around evolution (despite its inaccurate portrayal of it), and adapting is a part of evolution. It would be similar to the location specific evolutions. Maybe a Poochyena will evolve into a Houndoom if it evolves in a volcano because it is adapting to the intense heat. Maybe a Skorupi will evolve into a Gliscor if it evolves at the peak of a mountain because of the high altitude (i dunno lol).

I'm sorry if this is an incredibly dumb idea, but i'm really bored right now :c

Please feel free to post your own ideas of branching evolution families :D
#2StarFoxFan1Posted 7/6/2013 1:58:41 AM
That actually makes a little sense. However, that would combine evolution lines and things would get complicated. Then there would be pokemon getting different move sets and such based on pre-evolved stages. Still, it's a decent idea.
---
---
Insert signature here.
#3bd43Posted 7/6/2013 2:04:37 AM
I think your examples are meh. And older Pokemon branching into older Pokemon is also meh.

But I'd respect a common evolution. Say, Ferrow and Swellow both evolving into a new Pokemon or, better yet, two closer looking second stage Pokemon(something like linoone and furret, but more interesting) evolving into the same Pokemon.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#4buszzaw101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:05:44 AM
StarFoxFan1 posted...
That actually makes a little sense. However, that would combine evolution lines and things would get complicated. Then there would be pokemon getting different move sets and such based on pre-evolved stages. Still, it's a decent idea.
---

If the evolution lines that were getting combined only branched at either the first or final evolution (not both), then things wouldn't get TOO complicated. However, i do enjoy the idea of only being able to evolve a certain pokemon if it evolved down a specific evolution path (Wurmple branches into Metapod, Metapod branches into Beedrill, Beedrill can now evolve into an entirely new pokemon). Adds more rarity lol, but it would be excessively complicated :(

The combined move sets was actually something i had in mind. It could work like egg moves where only the compatible moves would carry over. For example, Poochyena can learn Ice Fang via breeding. If Poochyena branched into Houndoom, it will now know Ice Fang despite it not being a move that Houndoom can naturally learn. But, again, this might make things overly complicated lol
#5buszzaw101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:07:57 AM
bd43 posted...
I think your examples are meh. And older Pokemon branching into older Pokemon is also meh.

But I'd respect a common evolution. Say, Ferrow and Swellow both evolving into a new Pokemon or, better yet, two closer looking second stage Pokemon(something like linoone and furret, but more interesting) evolving into the same Pokemon.

I liked my examples :'(

Lol actually i sorta came up with them as i created the topic XD I do agree with you; branching into brand new pokemon would work much better
#6bd43Posted 7/6/2013 2:12:19 AM
buszzaw101 posted...
bd43 posted...

Lol actually i sorta came up with them as i created the topic XD I do agree with you; branching into brand new pokemon would work much better

The issue with most of your examples is that a third Evo would do each more than linking them.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#7StarFoxFan1Posted 7/6/2013 2:15:10 AM
buszzaw101 posted...
StarFoxFan1 posted...
---

If the evolution lines that were getting combined only branched at either the first or final evolution (not both), then things wouldn't get TOO complicated. However, i do enjoy the idea of only being able to evolve a certain pokemon if it evolved down a specific evolution path (Wurmple branches into Metapod, Metapod branches into Beedrill, Beedrill can now evolve into an entirely new pokemon). Adds more rarity lol, but it would be excessively complicated :(

The combined move sets was actually something i had in mind. It could work like egg moves where only the compatible moves would carry over. For example, Poochyena can learn Ice Fang via breeding. If Poochyena branched into Houndoom, it will now know Ice Fang despite it not being a move that Houndoom can naturally learn. But, again, this might make things overly complicated lol

Would the original first stage of a Pokemon come out of the egg or the one it evolved from? And Houndoom with ice fang? Really?
---
---
Insert signature here.
#8buszzaw101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:16:37 AM
bd43 posted...
buszzaw101 posted...
bd43 posted...

The issue with most of your examples is that a third Evo would do each more than linking them.

Good point, good sir
#9buszzaw101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:19:25 AM
StarFoxFan1 posted...
buszzaw101 posted...
StarFoxFan1 posted...
---

Would the original first stage of a Pokemon come out of the egg or the one it evolved from? And Houndoom with ice fang? Really?
---

Hmm...i don't know if it would cause huge problems, but i think it would make the most sense for the egg to be of the original first stage.

Lol it's just a random example. I couldn't really think of any other moves that Poochyena learns that Houndour/Houndoom can't learn
#10StarFoxFan1Posted 7/6/2013 2:46:02 AM
buszzaw101 posted...
StarFoxFan1 posted...
buszzaw101 posted...
StarFoxFan1 posted...
---

---

Hmm...i don't know if it would cause huge problems, but i think it would make the most sense for the egg to be of the original first stage.

Lol it's just a random example. I couldn't really think of any other moves that Poochyena learns that Houndour/Houndoom can't learn

Makes sense. I'm terrible with examples too, so don't worry too much. There are probably more complications with this idea but I like it.
---
---
Insert signature here.