This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: New Pokemon aren't unoriginal, they're over-designed.

#1Cheesepower5Posted 7/6/2013 6:36:51 AM
Back in Gen 1 and 2, the systems only had enough power to process so many colours and shapes in one image. It meant that, for the most part, Pokemon had to look simpler. Now, with a few exceptions (I'm looking at you, Mr. Mime) most of the older Pokemon had two basic colours, maybe three and few extra attachments.

Now Pokemon like Mr. Mime are the majority, with clashing colour schemes, random bubbles and baubles everywhere and other things that some might perceive as ugly. I'm not saying they're all bad, or that you shouldn't like new Pokemon. I like plenty of them. I just think that a lot of them would look better if they removed the accessories, like Toxicroak's lipstick or Trubbish's blue and pink Dr. Mario pills.

So what do you think, Gamefaqs? No problem? Do you think the main flaw of new Pokemon is something inherent in their concept, or do you think it's just Sugimori going a little overboard? Personally, I'd go with the latter.
---
My way is the high way. You'd have to be lactose intolerant to not learn to love it.
Ha! Cheese puns.
#2TheMasterTurtlePosted 7/6/2013 6:39:09 AM
The designs are fine. Most of them are nice and simple. I don't really have any problems with the direction it's going.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#3XazealPosted 7/6/2013 6:46:42 AM
I agree. I don't really have an issue with the concepts - when I do have an issue with a design, it's either that it just doesn't grab me or that it seems slightly cluttered. Take out one unnecessary detail and it would be a lot easier to process it. Swoobat is a prime example for me.

For the most part, though, I do appreciate the slightly more intricate designs more than the simplified ones of Gen 1 - as long as they don't go overboard.
#4iKhanicPosted 7/6/2013 6:48:43 AM
D. That's a sweeping statement that's not always true. Zoroark isn't overdesigned at all. Honedge is ridiculously simple.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#5TyranidomegaPosted 7/6/2013 6:55:32 AM
Really? To me the Gen 6 Pokemon are looking pretty simple so far
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#6mexicannonPosted 7/6/2013 6:55:33 AM
Your generalizing like 500 pokemon
#7scraadinPosted 7/6/2013 6:56:32 AM
Two examples don't cancel out the statement.

I tend to agree. Reshiram and Zekrom are ridiculously detail-intensive, when compared to things like Mewtwo or the other legendaries of the first three gens.

Gen 6 designs, though, do seem to be winding up on the simpler side of things. It's almost weird just how simple Fennekin looks.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#8XazealPosted 7/6/2013 6:57:18 AM
mexicannon posted...

Not really. It says "the majority" in the opening post. Not "all of them".
#9AnclationPosted 7/6/2013 6:59:30 AM
D.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
http://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#10Cheesepower5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 6:59:53 AM
mexicannon posted...

I was careful to use wording like the majority, and list what I thought to be good examples of an exception.

There's lots of nice, simple new Pokemon. I love Gen VI's starters for that, so far. But I've found that newer Pokemon tend to have too much going on in their designs. I wouldn't say it's a trend that ever started, just something they've had more and more freedom to do.
---
My way is the high way. You'd have to be lactose intolerant to not learn to love it.
Ha! Cheese puns.