This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: New Pokemon aren't unoriginal, they're over-designed.

#11MyNameIsNotJenPosted 7/6/2013 6:01:30 AM
scraadin posted...
Two examples don't cancel out the statement.

I tend to agree. Reshiram and Zekrom are ridiculously detail-intensive, when compared to things like Mewtwo or the other legendaries of the first three gens.

Gen 6 designs, though, do seem to be winding up on the simpler side of things. It's almost weird just how simple Fennekin looks.

Yeah, Zekrom/Reshiram were in fact very detailed right down to the smallest bit.. but to say that they had more of a complex design to say Kyogre or Groudon is laughable..lol no! They fit right in and I feel that Gen V had as much detail in design as Gen III.
#12mexicannonPosted 7/6/2013 6:01:47 AM
Cheesepower5 posted...
mexicannon posted...
Your generalizing like 500 pokemon

I was careful to use wording like the majority, and list what I thought to be good examples of an exception.

There's lots of nice, simple new Pokemon. I love Gen VI's starters for that, so far. But I've found that newer Pokemon tend to have too much going on in their designs. I wouldn't say it's a trend that ever started, just something they've had more and more freedom to do.

Lol, maybe they should add some new designs to the older pokemon. Jk, I know people would be killing themselves over this
#13fedartzPosted 7/6/2013 6:04:03 AM
I hope no one will bash my favorite white Kyurem.
---
The True Honedge Blacksmith of Pokemon XY Board
#14mexicannonPosted 7/6/2013 6:04:38 AM
And like you said, this was due to the physical capabilities of the gameboy. A lot of minor things are different in the show between the gen 1/2 pokemon compared to their video game counterparts. Basically from Gen 3 onward, Pokemon have more design trends, which IMO, can be a good or bad thing. It just depends on the pokemon, I guess
#15XazealPosted 7/6/2013 6:05:15 AM
Also, I think this is fitting, thought everyone has already seen it probably:

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1364/23/1364230913195.png

I personally think the sweet spot is somewhere inbetween, though as has been mentioned, it depends on the Pokemon.
#16surferguy7Posted 7/6/2013 6:06:02 AM
D.

Hell, the only over-designed Gen 5 Pokémon I can think of is Emboar. Furthermore, even if the Pokémon are a bit more complex in design nowadays, I find it hard to go back and train the extremely simple looks of rats and birds of Gen 1.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#17mexicannonPosted 7/6/2013 6:07:58 AM
Xazeal posted...
Also, I think this is fitting, thought everyone has already seen it probably:

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1364/23/1364230913195.png

I personally think the sweet spot is somewhere inbetween, though as has been mentioned, it depends on the Pokemon.

That Charizard is badass. F overdesign, that is amazing
#18LexifoxPosted 7/6/2013 6:18:17 AM
I disagree and still think "over-designed" is a stupid complaint.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#19ZTIger5Posted 7/6/2013 6:37:52 AM
Gens 4 and 5 had quite a few pokemon that I would classify as "over-designed", but 6 is doing amazingly so far. Most everything is very simple, and if something is a little ugly (Skrelp), it's part of the concept and it works.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#20kclaujamesPosted 7/6/2013 8:11:55 AM(edited)
I think probably you asked this question because there were some overly-designed Pokemon in the last few gens.

I would agree that there had been a general trend towards over-designing since gen 5. But the designs for gen 6 so far have been kept simple. I hope the designers do keep this in mind. I mentioned in my topic that the most important thing in designs is the diversity of ideas and originality. But ideas and originality does not mean something created on a whim - they must be based on the real world. Frankly, I would not mind ONE BIT even if all Pokemon in this gen looks 100% like the real thing. You cannot replace the beauty of simplicity and nature with your petty imagination, it is absolutely futile. ANY attractiveness must arise from reference to some natural characteristics. Animals are part of this world and we are part of this world too. What connects us together is of course the natural world.