This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starter's "ability" is useless and should be changed

#1dreamsiclePosted 7/8/2013 9:31:32 AM
I hate that they always have Overgrow, Blaze, or Torrent. Do you agree these abilities aren't very useful? What ability would you give them?

I would give them something good, but not overly powerful like Intimidate or Super Luck.

http://pokemondb.net/ability
---
No matter how far we push the envelope it will always remain stationery.
#2LexifoxPosted 7/8/2013 9:33:09 AM
I think that they're not useful in practice, but in theory they're better for balance purposes.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3KIngdomSora50Posted 7/8/2013 9:35:30 AM
SubPetaya Empoleon destroys teams with torrent boosted Hydro Pumps.
#4SirPikachuPosted 7/8/2013 9:36:30 AM
They probably wont change. They've always been like that, it would look weird for it to change after 5 gens.
#5JoJoX200Posted 7/8/2013 9:42:22 AM(edited)
The damage boost has gotten me through a lot of dire ingame battles already. The abilities themselves aren't useless, it's more that you either don't want to be in the situation where the boost occurs or later in the game never even get into that situation.

I agree tough that the starters would be more interesting if they got different abilities instead of just slapping the same thing on every gen.
#6KaitoKazePosted 7/8/2013 12:40:04 PM
Chimchar's Blaze helped me OHKO my way to victory in a Showdown random battle a few days ago
---
Honedge is the greatest addition to Pokemon ever
Pokemon White FC: 2194-3207-8738
#7Dark Young LinkPosted 7/8/2013 12:47:08 PM
Not very useful =/= useless

The damage boost can be pretty useful when you're in a pinch.
---
Sleep? F*** sleep, Toonami is on!!- GenesisSaga