This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are there so few ghost type pokemon?

#11DoctorPiranha3Posted 7/10/2013 10:29:49 AM
I think ghosts have been treated like kings the past two generations. They've really covered the type spread and introduced a lot of Ghosts. Back in Gen 1 and Gen 2, you had Gastly's line and Misdreavus. These days, they've introduced a lot of new interesting ghosts.
---
It's like every topic you post in becomes filled with either sensual energy or "pent up sexual frustration". ~ SurfingVaporeon, on DoctorPiranha3
#12alatreon789Posted 7/10/2013 10:42:19 AM(edited)
27 ghost not including arceus or alt forms. 29 dragons not including arceus or alt forms.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#13RDS1Posted 7/10/2013 11:16:03 AM
Paul_Man_Jones posted...
It is rather odd. Dragons are always commented on how "Extremely Rare" they are and yet Dragons have 31 I think? Not counting Arceus of course. And I think Ghosts clock in at like 27. I just guessed on those numbers btw I do know for fact however Dragon has more than Ghost. Which is a shame cause Ghost is my fav :(

Well, let's consider their relative availability. IIRC...

Gen I:
First available Dragon: Dratini (can be bought at the Game Corner; otherwise uncommonly available at the Safari Zone (requires Super Rod)); Badges needed*: 3 (for Game Corner), 4 (for catching)
First available Ghost: Gastly (available after getting the Silph Scope; nigh-100% encounter rate in the Pokemon Tower); Badges needed: 4

Gen II:
First available Dragon: Dratini (can be bought at the Game Corner; otherwise not available until reaching Blackthorn City); Badges needed: 2 (for Game Corner), 7 (for catching)
First available Ghost: Gastly (available in Sprout Tower); Badges needed: 0

Gen III:
First available Dragon (evolve): Swablu (available after reaching Fallarbor Town) or Trapinch (available after beating Flannery); Badges needed: 3 and 4, respectively.
First available Dragon (catch): Bagon (available after beating Wallace/Juan; found in a single room in Meteor Falls); Badges needed: 8

First available Ghost (evolve): Nincada (available after reaching Rustboro City); Badges needed: 1
First available Ghost (catch): Sableye (available in Dewford Cave unless you're playing Ruby); Badges needed: 1-2

Gen IV:
First available Dragon: Gible (available after beating Gardenia?); Badges needed: 2
First available Ghost: Drifloon (available on the way to Eterna City); Badges needed: 1

Gen V:
First available Dragon: Axew (available after getting Surf in Twist Mountain); Badges needed: 6
First available Ghost: Yamask (available in the Relic Castle); Badges needed: 3

* Note that "Badges needed" assumes you're actually getting the badges around when they become available, rather than trying to squeeze out as much content as humanly possible before taking on the next Gym, and is intended more as a general gauge for availability than a hard-and-fast rule.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#14mnkboy907Posted 7/10/2013 11:38:36 AM(edited)
I would say Dragons are still rarer when you take out legendaries. There are 14 fully-evolved, non-legendary Ghost Pokemon. There are only 9 fully-evolved, non-legendary Dragon Pokemon.

Well, now it's currently 15 Ghosts with Honedge and 10 Dragons with Noivern, but yeah.
---
http://i.imgur.com/z7h3ZVX.jpg
"First time I got punched in the face, I was like "oh no", then I was like "this is a story"."
#15stranksyPosted 7/10/2013 11:44:45 AM
mnkboy907 posted...
I would say Dragons are still rarer when you take out legendaries. There are 14 fully-evolved, non-legendary Ghost Pokemon. There are only 9 fully-evolved, non-legendary Dragon Pokemon.

Well, now it's currently 15 Ghosts with Honedge and 10 Dragons with Noivern, but yeah.

This. Dragons in the pokemon world are far rarer than ghosts, since there exists only one (or at least, a laughably small number) of Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Latias, Latios, etc.
---
When life's really getting you down, take solace in the fact that you're going to die.
#16PrettyTonyTigerPosted 7/10/2013 11:44:49 AM
mnkboy907 posted...

Why would you exclude the legendaries??? They're still there whether you like it or not.
---
My mother used to say i was a little reverend, that's why they call me God number seven
#17QuaguamanPosted 7/10/2013 11:48:09 AM
Davidk92 posted...
Because ghosts don't exist.

OR DO THEY?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
---
Fluttershy is best pony
#18ranguroPosted 7/10/2013 11:51:12 AM
Haunter was my favorite ghost pokemon for 3 generations.
---
PSN: zoki-chan