This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The pokedex is sooo stupid it's not even funy

#21KeeperOfShadowsPosted 7/8/2013 2:53:03 PM(edited)
Hanon623 posted...
The professor tells trainers some variant of "i need your help collecting data on pokemon" if the data was preprogrammed there'd be little point in the mcs

I never really understood this. In R/B/Y, Oak tells you it records data on a Pokémon you've seen or caught. If it were just things like height and weight, it'd make perfect sense.

But then it goes on to include details about the pokemon impossible to be learned instantaneously, like where throughout the region one can find the pokemon, if the pokemon can be found in the region at all, and species-related things like what they eat or how they act in nature.

Obviously the data was already in the Pokedex.

Of course, that's just looking too much into it.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#22wind64aPosted 7/8/2013 2:53:58 PM
ashcrv posted...
Lexifox posted...
At no point is it said that the Pokedex is written by the PCs. Professor Oak says the Pokedex automatically records data on Pokemon.

Well in that case Oak or whoever originally wrote the data for the pokedex to update must have either made it all up or was really drunk or something because it's all lies lol.

Considering how Halucinogenia's name came about...
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W1 FC: 4170 0917 6393
#23GameNinjaGuyPosted 7/8/2013 3:19:21 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
My SSB4 roster: http://tinyurl.com/ctaqf3x
#24JDavidCPosted 7/8/2013 6:38:46 PM
*Opens up Pokedex 3D Pro*

Wartortle - 'It is said to live 10000 years....'
Ninetales - '... and it can live for a thousand years.'
These aren't even legendary pokemon...
Gloom - 'The honey it drools from its mouth smells so atrocious, it can curl noses more than a mile away.'
Primeape - 'It grows angry if you see its eyes and gets angrier if you run. If you beat it, it gets even madder.'
Wouldn't it be knocked the **** out instead of mad if you beat it?
Arcanine - 'The sight of it running over 6200 miles in a single day and night has captivated many people.'
That's an average speed of 258.33... MPH sustained over an entire day! Arcanine's Speed stat isn't THAT high (only 5 bars in Pokedex 3D pro). Oh, and 'Legendary Pokemon'? Yeah right.
Tentacruel - 'It extends its 80 tentacles...', I only see 10 on it.
Farfetch'd - 'It can't live without the stalk it holds. That's why it defends the stalk from attackers with its life.' REALLY GAMEFREAK?
Muk - 'It's so stinky!' Such a scientifc </sarcasm> and somewhat speciesist phrase to put in a Pokedex!
Haunter - 'Its touch causes endless shuddering.' Yeah, ENDLESS, sure...

I'm not going past pokemon #151 here.
---
I only deal with 100% legit/uncloned pokemon in trades.
#25LexifoxPosted 7/8/2013 6:50:22 PM
Wartortle - 'It is said to live 10000 years....'
Ninetales - '... and it can live for a thousand years.'
These aren't even legendary pokemon...

1. Tortoises are capable of living hundreds of years.
2. Ninetales is based on the kitsune, which is a fox spirit of sorts said to live that long.

Gloom - 'The honey it drools from its mouth smells so atrocious, it can curl noses more than a mile away.'

This isn't that extreme. Real life stenches can be detected just as far. For example, a skunk's spray can be smelled over one mile away.

Primeape - 'It grows angry if you see its eyes and gets angrier if you run. If you beat it, it gets even madder.'

Presumably after it regains consciousness.

Arcanine - 'The sight of it running over 6200 miles in a single day and night has captivated many people.'
That's an average speed of 258.33... MPH sustained over an entire day! Arcanine's Speed stat isn't THAT high (only 5 bars in Pokedex 3D pro). Oh, and 'Legendary Pokemon'? Yeah right.

1. You're assuming that the speed correlates to certain units of measurement.
2. It's "legendary" in the sense that myth and rumor surround it. This is because it's based on the shisa, a famous and popular mythological creature in Chinese culture.

Either they're retractable or they just, you know, didn't draw all 80 because of all the work involved and complications with sprites.

Farfetch'd - 'It can't live without the stalk it holds. That's why it defends the stalk from attackers with its life.' REALLY GAMEFREAK?

...What? Lots of animals have tools.

Muk - 'It's so stinky!' Such a scientifc </sarcasm> and somewhat speciesist phrase to put in a Pokedex!

Really. You're complaining about this?

What's so hard to believe about this?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#26MaetchPosted 7/8/2013 6:53:36 PM(edited)
Hanon623 posted...
The professor tells trainers some variant of "i need your help collecting data on pokemon" if the data was preprogrammed there'd be little point in the mcs

The professors already know the precise details (despite most of the entries being folklore and urban legend). They just want to know what specific Pokémon are native to the region.
#27gladwyn101Posted 7/8/2013 6:56:38 PM
http://awsmblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Myth-Busters-Dexbusted.png

We need more comics like this.
---
4e is not D&D, but WoW making a Disguise check.
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon
#28LightningHawk90Posted 7/8/2013 7:00:03 PM
gladwyn101 posted...
http://awsmblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Myth-Busters-Dexbusted.png

We need more comics like this.

They obviously weren't using a Speed Boost Sharpedo.
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#29LexifoxPosted 7/8/2013 7:01:45 PM
Is it really that hard to link to the actual comic site? They deserve the traffic for their work.

http://www.rarecandytreatment.com/comics/1246650/the-re-bustening/
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#30JDavidCPosted 7/8/2013 7:14:02 PM
1. Tortoises are capable of living hundreds of years.
What about thousands? The dex entry said TEN thousand.
2. Ninetales is based on the kitsune, which is a fox spirit of sorts said to live that long.
Hmm, ok.

This isn't that extreme. Real life stenches can be detected just as far. For example, a skunk's spray can be smelled over one mile away.

OK.

Presumably after it regains consciousness.
Maybe... although there would be a time lapse.

1. You're assuming that the speed correlates to certain units of measurement.
*Checks speed online, finds it's 95*. OK, that outspeeds Dragonite, which can go even faster according to its dex entry. This could make sense if there's Sonic the Hedgehog levels of speed/stamina involved. Still, that speed is WAY faster than a cheetah, and calls for far more endurance as it isn't even flight that's involved. Gameplay and story segregation perhaps?

2. It's "legendary" in the sense that myth and rumor surround it. This is because it's based on the shisa, a famous and popular mythological creature in Chinese culture.
Still a major point of confusion for 'legendary' pokemon like Lugia.

Either they're retractable or they just, you know, didn't draw all 80 because of all the work involved and complications with sprites.
80 tentacles seems like an awful lot still, unless they also come in much smaller sizes than the 10 you can see.

...What? Lots of animals have tools.

Why can't it get another one instead of risking its life?

Really. You're complaining about this?
It IS silly in something that's supposed to be a scientific description of pokemon. Please watch your tone as well.

What's so hard to believe about this?

Someone gets touched by a Haunter, and they shudder for the rest of their lives/forever? I highly doubt that.
---
I only deal with 100% legit/uncloned pokemon in trades.