This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shiny Pokemon in Competitive Battling

#1torNATEoPosted 7/8/2013 3:47:33 PM
I had this thought while I was watching some videos from the latest Pokemon nationals...

Why does every competitive battler seem to have at least one shiny Pokemon one their team, or more frequently having their entire team being shiny? I've noticed the occurring very commonly on Pokemon Online/Showdown/etc. also...

I just don't get it. Maybe it's me, but usually the shiny Pokemon don't look any cooler. (There are a few exceptions, but really, who wants a pink Kingdra, or a lime green Scrafty?)

Having shiny Pokemon nowadays isn't even a bragging right either. We all know they exist, and it's not that hard to hack or RNG a shiny, so owning one doesn't really make you look any cooler.

So why exactly do people use shiny Pokemon competitively so much?
---
I don't care if you hate every Pokemon Gen but the first one. Just don't get all up in my face about it and let me love all five, soon to be six.
#2Thepenguinking2Posted 7/8/2013 3:48:48 PM
Because why the f*** not?
---
Mentions of Zangoose since 6/27/2013 as of this post: 30
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and Salamence of PGD!
#3FuneralCakePosted 7/8/2013 3:48:53 PM
Maybe because they like the way shinies look? Sure, they're not exactly rare now, but they're still uncommon.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
i don't want to do things. i want to not do things.
#4MetaFalconPunchPosted 7/8/2013 3:49:09 PM
My mostly uneducated guess: Because they're hacked and the people think having shinies instantly makes you cool, so they hack them to be shiny.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#5Luigifan141Posted 7/8/2013 3:51:50 PM
MetaFalconPunch posted...
My mostly uneducated guess: Because they're hacked and the people think having shinies instantly makes you cool, so they hack them to be shiny.

If they really are hacked, then all of those people wouldn't be able to participate in those tournaments.

I've been wondering the same thing that the TC asked for a long time now, and I'm curious as to why everyone who battles in tournaments seems to have a shiny Pokemon as well.
---
Official Mike Meekins of AA5 boards. Official Olimar of SSB Wii U Boards.
Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
#6X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/8/2013 3:53:14 PM
If I like the Pokémon, and if I have it as a shiny, I will have it in my team.
I have a shiny Gengar that I caught (okay, caught a shiny Gastly) that's been with me forever and I will always have it on my team.

I had a shiny Mismagius that was originally a Misdreavus. I was stupid enough to not look up how a Shiny Mismagius looked as I thought she would look like Gengar and found out she turned out to be yellow. I traded her to my friend to own and used a normal one on my team ever since.

Also, I don't know how to rng or hack so I consider mine special and rare and I don't use them to brag. I use them because I like them.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#7LightningHawk90Posted 7/8/2013 3:53:27 PM
Because 90% of the time they're cheaters and hack all their pokemon.
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#8Dark Young LinkPosted 7/8/2013 3:54:13 PM
Personally, I preferred when a shiny Pokemon was your jewel of the team so I'm not fond of 6 shiny Pokemon to a team either.
---
Sleep? F*** sleep, Toonami is on!!- GenesisSaga
#9CakeOfLiesPosted 7/8/2013 3:54:38 PM
Maybe the people just happen to like the shiny colors more (look at Haxorus, for example. I freaking LOVE shiny Haxorus).

Or maybe they're bragging to whoever is gullible enough to think that the shininess is legit?
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#10Luigi playerPosted 7/8/2013 3:57:25 PM
I guess they feel they're special.

I only use shinies when they look good imo (which are very few), and even then only sometimes.
---
I'm a the Luigi master!
www.freewebs.com/luigi_player/