This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could Geo Control be a dual typed move?

#11jayman7Posted 7/11/2013 2:39:10 PM
Rethalwolf posted...
Perhaps it will simply do one type or the other, depending on which is more effective.

And this is where we start to get game-breaky. It's effectively two, two, two moves in one! if done this way, made worse if the type combo is one nothing or nearly nothing resists.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#12RethalwolfPosted 7/11/2013 2:45:07 PM
Well then I suppose it's up to Gamefreak to not f*** up the balancing in their own game, eh? It could be something like normal/fire.
I'm just saying, it's pretty pointless to try to guess what these dual typed attacks imply yet. More than likely, I think it's going to divide up damage into two types, such that for a dual typed attack (fire punch), fire gets half the full calculated strength (THEN STAB), fighting gets half the full calculated strength (and again, then STAB), even after incorporating ATK or SPA, effectiveness, and hell, the randomness. For a more-typed attack (tri attack) it divides into thirds. So essentially, it IS two-hit, but without the chance to miss on the second hit.
That's what I expect. Not going to talk about what I'd LIKE, just what I expect.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#13TherianReturnsPosted 7/11/2013 2:45:36 PM
jayman7 posted...
Peachrules14 posted...
The way that dual type moves works is not how Pokebeach bluntly put it. If it's a fairy type move, and had ground as the damage doing type against a pokemon such as Zekrom (Dragon/Electric), it would not do x6 damage factoring in dual weaknesses and STAB. It would get the 1.5x STAB for Fairy, but deal damage as a Ground type attack. It would be about 3.5x.

How many times to I have to explain that this is a pointless system? This is a pointless system. The move you describe is not dual-type. It is Ground. The end. Oh, but the wrong type gets STAB, which doesn't even freaking matter if Xerneas is the only thing to learn it!!! It may as well just be 150% as strong as it currently is and pure Ground-type if it works the way you say - it would be no different.

We don't know how dualtype attacks work. At. All. Pokebeach's leak (which is proved more and more true every time GameFreak reveals something) said they exist, but no details were given. Pokebeach thinks it might be "deals different type damage under different circumstances", which I would accept, only this would be nothing new (Hidden Power? Weather Ball? Judgment?) Another thing I'd accept is the move being two hits, one of each type. Admittedly, I don't think there's any other system I'd like.

You're a pointless system.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#14jayman7Posted 7/11/2013 2:50:33 PM
Rethalwolf posted...
Well then I suppose it's up to Gamefreak to not f*** up the balancing in their own game, eh? It could be something like normal/fire.
I'm just saying, it's pretty pointless to try to guess what these dual typed attacks imply yet. More than likely, I think it's going to divide up damage into two types, such that for a dual typed attack (fire punch), fire gets half the full calculated strength (THEN STAB), fighting gets half the full calculated strength (and again, then STAB), even after incorporating ATK or SPA, effectiveness, and hell, the randomness. For a more-typed attack (tri attack) it divides into thirds. So essentially, it IS two-hit, but without the chance to miss on the second hit.
That's what I expect. Not going to talk about what I'd LIKE, just what I expect.

And this is functionally identical to doing the "two hits" version, only trying to make it a single hit, which overcomplicates the "it's super effective" and so forth messages.

And really, leave Fire Punch alone.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere