This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many more gens do you give it before HMs are gone completely?

#1Model_RobotPosted 7/11/2013 7:48:55 PM
It's most likely inevitable since they've already started cutting down on them. They seem to be something fans wouldn't miss and would glad have changed to innate abilities or something. Game Freak seems to be one of the more pragmatic developers in being more objective with fan criticism of certain long-standing elements of the games, so it shouldn't be too long. Though I've heard that at least two HMs are "ok-ed" for competitive battle, I'm sure whoever is reliant on them could supplement them for better moves.

I'd say by next gen, but that's being fairly optimistic.
#2alatreon789Posted 7/11/2013 7:51:43 PM
As long as they become tm's then great. Must have surf!
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#3X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/11/2013 7:53:33 PM
Get rid of them.
Can make them TMs if you want, but get rid of them.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#4legendxofxskyPosted 7/11/2013 8:25:58 PM
There will always be surf.

I will let it be a TM on one condition.

It gets 120 base, 100 acc, and floods the field with water for 5 turns, doubling water STAB.
#5NihiloExistantPosted 7/11/2013 8:28:27 PM
For clarification, do you only mean HMs in name, or do the pseudo HM moves also count? I mean, with how Black and White 2 handled things with HMs being optional and TMs being reusable, there's really no functional difference between HMs and pseudo HMs and I could easily see them phasing out HMs in name. However, I'm not sure I could see them dumping out optional pseudo-HM moves any time soon.
---
--
A void, the proud and sinister dream of being nothing, of being always something other than I am.
#6AccrovideogamesPosted 7/11/2013 8:34:36 PM
I think this gen will be the one. Pokémon Transportation seems to be replacing them. Ride on Rhyhorn to navigate in rocky areas (Rock Climb) and smash rocks that are in the way (Roch Smash). Ride on Lapras (speculation) to sail on water (Surf).
---
I'm French speaking.
23, Male, Quebec
#7Genericgamer667Posted 7/11/2013 8:36:45 PM
legendxofxsky posted...
There will always be surf.

I will let it be a TM on one condition.

It gets 120 base, 100 acc, and floods the field with water for 5 turns, doubling water STAB.

uuhhhhhh yeah, not gonna happen like ever
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#8MagikarpRulesPosted 7/11/2013 8:39:29 PM
As long as we keep Surf, Waterfall and Fly (this one for the sake of convenience, the first two because they are objectively good moves) as TMs or something, go ahead and take them out. Otherwise, keep the HMs.
#9Model_Robot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 8:07:55 AM
NihiloExistant posted...
For clarification, do you only mean HMs in name, or do the pseudo HM moves also count? I mean, with how Black and White 2 handled things with HMs being optional and TMs being reusable, there's really no functional difference between HMs and pseudo HMs and I could easily see them phasing out HMs in name. However, I'm not sure I could see them dumping out optional pseudo-HM moves any time soon.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to by "pseudo-HMs" but I guessing you mean how TMs are now reusable? If so, then yeah I'm talking about unforgettable HM moves with their rather nonchalant field abilities.
#10torNATEoPosted 7/12/2013 9:12:56 AM
As long as they make them forgettable and TMs are still infinite, they can call them whatever they like. Although making an HM forgettable essentially makes it a TM, so I guess naming it is kind of redundant...
---
I don't care if you hate every Pokemon Gen but the first one. Just don't get all up in my face about it and let me love all five, soon to be six.