This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What constitutes as a "Pokemon" game?

#1ISECreamPosted 7/11/2013 9:47:15 PM
People complain the newer generations are horrible and will never be the same. What if all the gens were backwards. Would the people say Kanto Pokemon are horribly designed?
#2ColonelHawkPosted 7/11/2013 9:49:00 PM
Yes, because fanboys are stupid. /endtopic
#3AysanderPosted 7/11/2013 9:49:59 PM
ISECream posted...
People complain the newer generations are horrible and will never be the same. What if all the gens were backwards. Would the people say Kanto Pokemon are horribly designed?

People say this? Trolls claim gens as a whole are doomed and done for even though they're really complaining about 3-4 designs all the time, but nobody ever complains about the gens specifically.

Nobody except trolls nitpicking at one or two disliked mechanics, that is.
#4FuneralCakePosted 7/11/2013 9:53:10 PM
ISECream posted...
What if all the gens were backwards. Would the people say Kanto Pokemon are horribly designed?

I would think so, actually. The newer generations are notably more well-designed. Some may argue that the "simplicity" of the first two generations is what makes them good, but I just think they're boring compared to what we have now.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#5Biased_GamerPosted 7/11/2013 10:39:37 PM
FuneralCake posted...
ISECream posted...
What if all the gens were backwards. Would the people say Kanto Pokemon are horribly designed?

I would think so, actually. The newer generations are notably more well-designed. Some may argue that the "simplicity" of the first two generations is what makes them good, but I just think they're boring compared to what we have now.

"Well-designed" is an understatement. Samurott scares me… <='(
---
Not changing the top sig until a new Gotcha Force video game is announced. (7/11/2013)
Official AncientGreymon of nowhere accepted.
#6-hotdogturtle--Posted 7/11/2013 10:45:30 PM
Would the people say Kanto Pokemon are horribly designed?

People don't say this?
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#7jneal57Posted 7/11/2013 10:47:56 PM
game+Pokemon= Pokemon game.
Pokemon poker. it's a Pokemon game.
Pokemon Russian roulette. it's a Pokemon game

now if you mean the main series games.

running around and catching Pokemon+ training Pokemon +battling Pokemon= Pokemon main series game
---
:3 kitty kitty
#8X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/11/2013 11:08:17 PM
jneal57 posted...

running around and catching Pokemon+ training Pokemon +battling Pokemon= Pokemon main series game

While I never played more than 2 minutes of the game(s), so in your case.... Mystery Dungeon games is a main series?
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#9alatreon789Posted 7/11/2013 11:22:58 PM
X_Ayumi_X posted...
jneal57 posted...

While I never played more than 2 minutes of the game(s), so in your case.... Mystery Dungeon games is a main series?

Actually you don't catch pokemon in that game, you befriend them. However by that logic coliseum and xd would be main series but their not. What constitutes as a main game would be one in which you choose out of three pokemon that are of the types of grass, fire, and water. You use pokeballs to catch pokemon that you train and level up. It must maintain the basic gameplay of past gen games. Also you can use logic and common sense to tell which ones are main series because they are hand held games.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#10kclaujamesPosted 7/11/2013 11:59:46 PM(edited)
Fanboyism aside, let us think for a moment if there is any real reason that people prefer older games to newer ones.

As I mentioned in another topic, it is a trend not only confined to games, it is a trend concerning all aspects of our lives.

If fanboyism and nostalgia are all the reason there is for preferring older games to newer ones, then we would not have the saying "the good old days" or "don't fix something if it is not broken". Not that I am talking about the Pokemon series.

If you look around, a lot has changed compared to two decades ago. Most notable is the emergence of technology. Technology has brought us more convenience than ever before. But at the same time we are relying more on it. People walk less to work or to school. Now we don't need to take notes or remember much when studying thanks to the emergence of notebooks and tablet computers. Satisfaction (food, movies, games) are becoming more and more easily available. As a result, we have become less able to conjure up fresh ideas or express ourselves, or to do anything ourselves in general. With a general downward development of our population, how much do you expect our material lives to improve?

TL;DR - Fanboyism and nostalgia are annoying, but they have solid reasons for existing.