This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One thing that is certainly repetitive and needs fixing

#1radred2004Posted 7/12/2013 9:14:14 AM
I'm not going on to say how the whole formula is repetitive, because the new pokemon and evil team look great, but I will acknowledge that the gym leaders and Elite Four are a repetitive process that's been going on since generation 1.

The gym leaders might be a bit different, but they're very similar in regards as well. Look at Viola. She's got that same quirky vibe that Bugsy and Burgh have, and all are easy gyms that one can plow through. Burgh's spiderweb format is now being used by Viola in generation 6 (as shown in the pics anyway).

We've had 3 rock gyms, all being the first gym, but I'm sure this is subject to change in the sixth generation. I bet the rock gym won't be first, but the point is that there's another rock gym, making there be 4/6 gyms in 6 generations be rock type gyms. Also, 3 all 3 of the rock gyms (not counting the 6th gen) have had Geodude in their party.

This is the fifth time we're going to have a lightning gym leader. Why five lightning gyms in six generations?

Dark is the only gym not used, but it makes up for having some similar dark type Elite Four members. The Elite Four is repetitive in that there is always at least one pseudo-dragon in one of the members party (except B1/W1), but you get the point.

In any case, I believe something needs to change with gyms, because typed gyms really aren't original or fun anymore. They're same old, same old. This is one part of the formula that remains constant throughout each generation.
---
White: Daisy 1550 0892 3564 Gold: Gold 3268 1023 8138
#2Stover46Posted 7/12/2013 9:15:20 AM
I think they should scrap the annoying "we're the new generic evil team!"

that and give different starter types for once.
---
3DS FC: 4167-5373-4749 PSN: OLKv2
http://superbooyah.com/images/stories/Galleries//bustyfacebook/Facebook%20Smokin.JPG
#3torNATEoPosted 7/12/2013 9:19:22 AM
radred2004 posted...

We've had 3 rock gyms, all being the first gym, but I'm sure this is subject to change in the sixth generation. I bet the rock gym won't be first,

It's already been confirmed the Bug Gym is the first one.

This is the fifth time we're going to have a lightning gym leader. Why five lightning gyms in six generations?

Where was is confirmed that there was going to be an Electric Type Gym?
---
I don't care if you hate every Pokemon Gen but the first one. Just don't get all up in my face about it and let me love all five, soon to be six.
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 7/12/2013 9:26:08 AM
I'm perfectly fine with the old formula.
It kinda gives you an idea of how far you are, for one.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#5radred2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 9:34:42 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
I'm perfectly fine with the old formula.
It kinda gives you an idea of how far you are, for one.

It's not the formula that's the problem, it's the number of repetitive typed gyms.
---
#6P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/12/2013 9:40:37 AM(edited)
I've always liked the Pokemon formula. Sure, in a spin-off it might be nice to see something that's a little more non-linear, but there's plenty else to do besides going tirelessly from one gym leader to the next, and I think the Kalos region is large enough where the gyms are spread out enough that it gives a sense of adventure rather than "Get to point B from point A" that has happened in a few games of the series.

Now obviously I can't talk about gym typings, because we don't know them all yet, but yes, I think they do need more diversity, but honestly, I don't notice types too much in-game. It's always been more of "Oh, the first gym's Rock type, I need to grab something that works well against it" than "Oh, the first gym's Rock type, this is getting old now"
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#7deadpool848Posted 7/12/2013 9:40:06 AM
torNATEo posted...
radred2004 posted...

We've had 3 rock gyms, all being the first gym, but I'm sure this is subject to change in the sixth generation. I bet the rock gym won't be first,

Badge art leaked, and the technology scientist looking guy from the corocoro is gonna be electric type gym leader.
#8radred2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 9:42:17 AM
torNATEo posted...
radred2004 posted...

I mistakenly thought rumors were real, that was my fault.
---
#9radred2004(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 9:43:43 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
I've always liked the Pokemon formula. Sure, in a spin-off it might be nice to see something that's a little more non-linear, but there's plenty else to do besides going tirelessly from one gym leader to the next, and I think the Kalos region is large enough where the gyms are spread out enough that it gives a sense of adventure rather than "Get to point B from point A" that has happened in a few games of the series.

Now obviously I can't talk about gym typings, because we don't know them all yet, but yes, I think they do need more diversity, but honestly, I don't notice types too much in-game. It's always been more of "Oh, the first gym's Rock type, I need to grab something that works well against it" than "Oh, the first gym's Rock type, this is getting old now"

I'm not talking about the formula as a whole being repetitive, I'm just talking about the gyms and E4 being repetitive.
---
#10P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 7/12/2013 9:44:46 AM
radred2004 posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...

I'm not talking about the formula as a whole being repetitive, I'm just talking about the gyms and E4 being repetitive.

I know, that's why I included the second paragraph
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.