This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Idea for an electric type weather condition: Thunderstorm

#1Immortal_Chaos7Posted 7/12/2013 10:57:37 AM
This is just a random idea that popped into my head so take it for what you will but I think it'd be viable. Now for the record, I know that electric types already get the Thunder benefit from Rain Dance but I think a pure electric based weather effect [i.e. Thunderstorm] would be an awesome addition to the game on top of the fact that there's so many pokemon that are said to summon lightning or storm clouds (Zapdos, Raikou, Zekrom, etc.). Also, new electric-type Castform could be a thing to anyone who cares.

Here's how it would differ from rain:
•There's just lightning and thunder. No rain = no shared benefits with water types and fire is no longer weakened.

•Electric attacks' power is increased by .5

•Random lightning and thunder effects. For example, loud thunder might make either you or your opponents pokemon flinch. Electric pokemon on the field may get struck by lightning and receive an increase of either Att, Sp.Att, or Speed while non-electric pokemon may also get struck by lightning either inflicting damage or paralyzing them. These event would be uncommon and completely randomized to balance it out a little, however pokemon with the 'Lightning rod' ability are more likely to get struck.

I doubt something this major would be put in the game so just for fun, tell me either how broken this is or how you would change this.
---
Pokemon Diamond-Name:Jack / FC:0043-9308-0032
#2Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 11:02:08 AM
I also just realized this would be a great tool for pokemon with the 'Motor Drive' ability.
---
#3Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 11:08:47 AM
bump?
---
#4SorrowOfAcheronPosted 7/12/2013 11:09:45 AM
Nice idea; especially useful for Pokes that get Motor Drive (Electavire only, I think) and Electric types that get Lightning Rod, as you've said.

Though, what would happen to Ground types? Do they get Paralyzed randomly as well, or they're only affected by the Flinch?
---
GamerTag: SorrowOfAcheron, RageOfFenrisulf
Eurynome, Lv.200 Sorcerer
#5Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 11:18:22 AM
SorrowOfAcheron posted...
Nice idea; especially useful for Pokes that get Motor Drive (Electavire only, I think) and Electric types that get Lightning Rod, as you've said.

Though, what would happen to Ground types? Do they get Paralyzed randomly as well, or they're only affected by the Flinch?

I thought of that too because the Cubone and Rhyhorn families both do have lightningrod but i think they'd just be effected by the flinch and retain their immunity to electricity. The aforementioned pokemon could be used as counters to stop electric-typed opponents from receiving the benefits of the lightning strikes unless their opponent is like Manectric or Zebstrika who also have lightningrod.
---
#6SirPikachuPosted 7/12/2013 11:18:37 AM
I like it, but lighting rod would make them ALWAYS get struck, because that's what lightning rods do.
#7MetaFalconPunchPosted 7/12/2013 11:18:39 AM
Do want.

Anything to make Electrics better is fine with me ^_^
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#8Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 11:28:15 AM
SirPikachu posted...
I like it, but lighting rod would make them ALWAYS get struck, because that's what lightning rods do.

That's where a ground pokemon with lightning rod could be used as a counter. Also, with pokemon who have the motor drive, getting hit by lightning will still give them the random att, sp.att, or speed boost with the additional speed bonus already given by motor drive stacked on.

I also had the idea that when lightning hits trees or grass, they can ignite, therefore grass pokemon getting struck can either cause paralysis OR burn. Too OP yet?
---
#9BurningFlareXPosted 7/12/2013 11:31:42 AM
What about Volt Absorb?
---
I hate everything.
#10Immortal_Chaos7(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 11:34:34 AM
BurningFlareX posted...
What about Volt Absorb?

Another good one. I don't see why said volt absorber couldn't get the stat boost and health. I think this weather effect can work extremely well in tandem with many electric based abilities.
---