This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is flying type a waste for a lot of pokemon?

#1radred2004Posted 7/12/2013 5:20:19 PM(edited)
I'm not saying for all pokemon, but surely for many of the pokemon, flying type is a waste for them (especially dragons) and it makes them worse pokemon. A lot of times, flying could simply be just implied (like with Flygon), but it inherently has to cause more hurt than harm. I have examples here:

Charizard: it's flying type takes over what could be a dragon type and it gives Charizard a 4x weakness to rock; Charizard would ordinarily be just as fine with just being fire type

Gyarados: the pokemon can't fly, yet it's water/flying instead of dragon. With flying type it has a 4x weakness to electricity.

Aerodactyl: Probably more apt than Gyarados and Charizard to be flying type, but the flying type still robs the pokemon of its unique rock/dragon typing.

The butterflies and Beedrill: Butterfree/Beautifly/Dustox/Vivillion could all be psychic/bug or dark/bug respectively, and Beedrill could be bug/poison, but flying gets in the way of these typings. Furthermore, the more butteflies made, the more reuse of the bland repetitive "bug/flying" typing.

I know Salamence and Dragonite are quite overpowered, but there is no reason why they couldn't be pure dragon instead of flying/dragon. Fact of the matter is, most dragons have wings, so they're implied. The additional flying type makes Salamence and Dragonite 4x weak to ice, which is unnecessary when wings are implied. The same goes with Noivern who could be Normal/dragon instead of flying/dragon. With most dragons all having wings, most are Dragon/flying by default, so why make them all flying type if they will all get a 4x weakness to ice?

Also, flying is always part normal to most bird pokemon. Why does flying always have to be a dual type (aside from Tornadus)? Doesn't that pretty much undervalue the type itself? I would think most birds should just be pure flying and not normal/flying. The dual typing makes flying type seem more artificial since it cannot be a type on its own, but rather a secondary "aid" type.

If noise/echo can't be its own type when it has clear indication of being one, but flying can't be a type on its own, then why can't we make echo/noise like flying where it's always a dual type? Furthermore, why use flying type when it's more or less implied, has weaker attacks than most other types, and pokemon could be a typing instead of flying? Do we really need to use flying type this much and in the way we are using it?

Just something to think about.
---
White: Daisy 1550 0892 3564 Gold: Gold 3268 1023 8138
#2bobstevens23123Posted 7/12/2013 5:21:42 PM
I totally agree most things that get flying dumped on them can already handle bug/ grass pokes ( flamethrower) and yeah Charisse's and guardian should be dragons and man my posts have lacked depth and grammar today
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960188-call-of-duty-black-ops/59821100
#3LexifoxPosted 7/12/2013 5:22:27 PM
What is it with you and everything reptilian becoming Dragon while taking the Flying typing away from Pokemon with wings that are depicted as flying?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#4AysanderPosted 7/12/2013 5:24:13 PM
Charizard should've stayed pure-fire, I sorta agree. But then, it could be argued that Flygon's dragon typing should be removed, as an Antlion would be fine being just ground type.

Ofc, this is pokemon, not Breath of Fire or Digimon.
#5Scorpion122178Posted 7/12/2013 5:25:37 PM
flying gives immunity to EQ and resistance to Fighting. I'm just fine with it.
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
#6GeneralKenobi85Posted 7/12/2013 5:27:26 PM
flying gives immunity to EQ and resistance to Fighting. I'm just fine with it.

This

The immunity to Ground alone makes Flying a pretty desirable type.
---
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>
#7RoobitysuPosted 7/12/2013 5:31:15 PM
Charizard and Aerodactyl are not entitled to a Dragon-type.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/Adelle.png I draw lolis :D https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/IsawaKiyokoAlternate.png
#8LexifoxPosted 7/12/2013 5:32:22 PM
Roobitysu posted...

Gyarados is partially inspired by the windsock, which are heavily associated with koi in Japanese culture - koinobori (koi windsocks) are flown during holidays.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#9jakovuPosted 7/12/2013 5:33:01 PM
Beedrill IS Bug/Poison.

Also, Pokémon are Normal/Flying because they have no elemental association, but can fly. Tornadus is pure Flying because his elemental association is wind (which is counted under Flying-type) and he can fly.
#10RoobitysuPosted 7/12/2013 5:34:39 PM
Lexifox posted...
Roobitysu posted...

Gyarados is partially inspired by the windsock, which are heavily associated with koi in Japanese culture - koinobori (koi windsocks) are flown during holidays.

This, too.

I mean, jeez. I don't see people complaining about the Gen 3 fossils, Eelektross, Stunfisk, or Malamar not being Water as much as this crap.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/Adelle.png I draw lolis :D https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/IsawaKiyokoAlternate.png