This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watching Pokemon The First Movie.

#11NecroStreak128Posted 7/13/2013 10:59:11 AM
Oh boy...
#12BerserkLeonPosted 7/14/2013 8:49:21 PM
I watched it (again) recently, Never knew about the intro. And that dub issue ticks me off. The show/movies don't need censors out the wazoo just because kids watch it. Kids can watch anything on TV and get way worse "easily impressionable" acts than anything out of an E/T game.
Why was it done anyway? because mew's supposed to be cute? or?

Anyway I'm going to be watching all of the pokemon movies soon. Just wish I could find the un-dubbed pikachu shorts. I really want to see the one that came out recently.
#13SOLDIER_BankaiPosted 7/14/2013 8:55:10 PM
LordAlistair posted...
TaticalWarrior posted...
Genericgamer667 posted...
4kids butchered the 1st movie imo

Aside the removal of the intro, they improved the movie by incredible stantards. The music of that movie is incredible, and they marketed it as a real movie should. They also added many touches and the result was a very good movie presentation.

I don't know. Changing the moral to "fighting is bad" in a series revolving around fighting was pretty stupid.

I thought the movie was about how discrimination is bad, and the consequences of creating life. Boy, I must not have understood at all.
#14Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 7/14/2013 8:55:35 PM
this is all i remember from that movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JHtkWHC_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXdjcow0F2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6MtMrEYKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjkxDWwpSP4
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards
#15_Super_Shadow_Posted 7/14/2013 9:01:37 PM
LordAlistair posted...
TaticalWarrior posted...

Aside the removal of the intro, they improved the movie by incredible stantards. The music of that movie is incredible, and they marketed it as a real movie should. They also added many touches and the result was a very good movie presentation.

I don't know. Changing the moral to "fighting is bad" in a series revolving around fighting was pretty stupid.

If you think that is the moral of the story, you really need to rewatch it.

mewtwo clearly says it at the end.

" I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. "

And meowth even says this

"We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of what's different... well, who knows."

the movie was clearly about equality and accepting someone for who they are, rather than what they are, or how they came to be. Fantastic Message.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Bowser Jr, Little Mac, and Lloyd Irving for SSB4
Dream Roster: http://www.imageshack.com/scaled/large/577/lghv.png
#16YourLuckPosted 7/14/2013 10:39:58 PM
Watch Mewtwo Returns right after Mewtwo Strikes Back and the message will be a little difference.

The problem with MSB is mainly the anti-battling message. But you can blame that on the dub.

The problem with PKMN2000 is about kind of a mixed message about catching pokemon.

The thing about the tears of the pokemon changing Ash back to normal is kind of dumb. It would have made more sense to have the pokemon cry and then have Mewtwo change him back.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#17TaticalWarriorPosted 7/15/2013 9:01:05 AM
_Super_Shadow_ posted...
LordAlistair posted...
TaticalWarrior posted...

If you think that is the moral of the story, you really need to rewatch it.

mewtwo clearly says it at the end.

" I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. "

And meowth even says this

"We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of what's different... well, who knows."

the movie was clearly about equality and accepting someone for who they are, rather than what they are, or how they came to be. Fantastic Message.

The movie is also clear on the clones, and why Mewtwo has so much rage. But the reason about fighting is because Mewtwo disabled the Pokémon powers, and they start to fight for real, as in, wild battles, like struggle does. They weren't fighting in a sport, or in harmless battles, they were fighting to kill. Hence why Misty cries about how fighting is wrong.

Frankly, the first movie was very beautiful.
---
Keyblade Warrior working for the Great Bear Union!
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
#18FuzzyJelloPosted 7/15/2013 10:05:17 AM
The weird thing about the first movie is that most of 4Kids's changes weren't outright wrong, they just replaced one part of the movie's ideas with another.

Mew is the most obvious example;

Japanese: The Clones are freaks born in test tubes, they can't beat the originals.

English: But strength doesn't prove someone's worth as a person, because the clones are all living creatures, and like all living creatures, they're defined by their characters.

Notice how those three sentences might was well be from the same statement. Particularly given the "They're all alive, and that's enough reason to live" theme of the movie (Which is hammered down your throat in the Japanese, by the way).

The "fighting is wrong" angle was totally appropriate- pointing out how wrong it is that the clones are told they have to kill their originals or they're worthless- 4kids just didn't phrase it very well. But then on the Japanese side it's just 5 or 6 different variants of "But they're all living creatures"- if anything 4kids had the right idea altering the dialogue. They just did it badly.

TaticalWarrior posted...
Frankly, the first movie was very beautiful.

Movie was gorgeous; it represented both the mysterious and space-age technology sides of Pokemon very well, seeing the gritty, cheap, hand-drawn look of the original series getting made into a theatrical movie is great, all the bits of backstory with Giovanni and Jessie's mothers and Dr. Fuji were nice, even moreso when you realize no other Pokemon production has ever gotten that much extra material. The replacement score was fantastic, most of 4Kids' were. Not that any of this changes how the movie grinds to a halt after the stater vs clone starter battle because it has to write around that the fact that Mewtwo is unstoppable, while placing all of its suspense up to that point building to Ash and friend's confronting the kitty.

Really, thinking back, it's hard to believe just how huge the movie was; it was the climax of 4 years of craze in Japanese and 2+ years worldwide.

iKhanic posted...
Pokemon 2000> The First Movie

Curious what your reasoning for this is.

BerserkLeon posted...
Anyway I'm going to be watching all of the pokemon movies soon. Just wish I could find the un-dubbed pikachu shorts. I really want to see the one that came out recently.

I'd be interested to hear what your favorites end up being.