This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Xerneas is the "LIFE" pokemon, Yveltal is the "DESTRUCTION pokemon"...

#41Faust_8Posted 7/13/2013 3:48:07 PM
Duskull24 posted...
It's destruction because the soccer moms of America think the word death corrupts the entire essence of their precious little children.

Even though the Pokemon series has admitted that death is a thing and even Pokemon die.

Twice.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#42CyD13Posted 7/13/2013 4:35:56 PM
Xerneas should be the "creation" Pokémon.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#43CyD13Posted 7/13/2013 4:36:07 PM
Xerneas should be the "creation" pokemon.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#44JC152Posted 7/13/2013 4:40:53 PM
The rename of Death Wing is rather odd, since we already have a move that has a closer synonym for death, (I.E. dying instead of erasing) in the form of perish.
#45DrakoVongola1Posted 7/13/2013 4:46:34 PM
CyD13 posted...
Xerneas should be the "creation" Pokémon.

Life, creation, pretty much the same thing really.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#46Meta289Posted 7/13/2013 4:49:58 PM
I don't think that removing the death part of names is censorship, since Pokemon has always been pretty open about talking about death, what with your rival asking if your Pokemon are dead in the Pokemon Tower, people in said tower talking about how their Pokemon died, being told directly that Team Rocket is killing Cubones, and several Pokedex entries mentioning death.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#47DrakoVongola1Posted 7/13/2013 4:52:05 PM
Meta289 posted...
I don't think that removing the death part of names is censorship, since Pokemon has always been pretty open about talking about death, what with your rival asking if your Pokemon are dead in the Pokemon Tower, people in said tower talking about how their Pokemon died, being told directly that Team Rocket is killing Cubones, and several Pokedex entries mentioning death.

Plus the existence of ghosts kind of implies that things have to die >_>
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#48Solar_CrimsonPosted 7/13/2013 9:44:47 PM
FuneralCake posted...
BurningFlareX posted...
I believe I read somewhere that Yveltal has destroyed and wreaked havoc on Kalos before, which might explain why it's the Destruction Pokemon.
Xerneas apparently brought life back to the place, which also explains that.

That was a rumor that was later proven to be false.

Maybe, but it is interesting that that rumor came about way before we got their official classifications.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#49reaverzPosted 7/13/2013 10:08:38 PM(edited)
I'd say it's not classified as the "Death" Pokemon because that would sort of imply that Yveltal itself is dead. It would be as much of a misconception as calling Xerneas the "Creation" Pokemon... Destruction gets the point across and still works as a counterpart to Life.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#50Yamato_sanPosted 7/13/2013 11:28:01 PM
for the record, "Death Wing" uses English words (Desu Wingu). In other words, it might just be some happy fun time Engrish to some people.... then again, a good deal of Japanese people may know what it means (so far as English words in anime go, it does occur pretty frequently), but the context might not be quite as heavy as if their native word were used. Nonetheless, death is far from being as touchy of a subject amongst Japanese kids as it is in western children's shows (though, it may be worth mentioning that even in the Japanese version, the anime is usually guilty of not outright referring to it, at least not since Kanto).

JC152 posted...
The rename of Death Wing is rather odd, since we already have a move that has a closer synonym for death, (I.E. dying instead of erasing) in the form of perish.

ironically, the Japanese name of Perish Song (Horobi no Uta) used "destruction". Well, technically.... "horobi" can translate to "perish", but I've seen it used all too often in the context of destruction and ruin, unlike "perish" which I've only seen used to refer specifically to the death of living beings.

DrakoVongola1 posted...
Plus the existence of ghosts kind of implies that things have to die >_>

not that I disagree with the notion that things can die in Pokemon, but Ghost Pokemon don't seem much like actual ghosts so much as they are living creatures with very unusual, ethereal properties (they are capable of breeding after all).