This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Xerneas is the "LIFE" pokemon, Yveltal is the "DESTRUCTION pokemon"...

#61Emerald_MeliosPosted 7/18/2013 10:30:30 AM
WiiareVenom posted...
aaronrichter posted...
So life and destruction...so the third is going to reborn/afterlife too?

Rebirth would be kind of stupid, since that could be considered part of Life. I suggested Decay, but that is part of Death.

So, Afterlife/Balance/Preservation/Undeath/Exdeath seem to be the other possibilities...

So it will be a legendary tree warlock Pokemon?
#62rocknroller365Posted 7/18/2013 11:32:46 AM
I actually like "destruction" better in this context. Only living things can die, but anything can be destroyed.

IMO "Death Wing" sounds kind of cheesy so I'm glad they changed it to "Oblivion Wing" for the English version. >.> I find the concept of oblivion scarier than death (the fear of oblivion, of nothingness, is part of what makes death scary in the first place).

For the third legendary, maybe they'll mix in a bit of Hindu mythology here with the trio: Xerneas= Brahma the creator; Yveltal= Shiva the destroyer/transformer; Unknown Third Legendary= Vishnu the maintainer/preserver.
#63Second_ChancesPosted 7/18/2013 11:40:35 AM
Xerneas really should've been the Creation Pokemon.
#64Firelion6593Posted 7/18/2013 11:48:40 AM
AzNNinjaRB posted...
Niddhoggr is more of a serpentine like dragon though.

I still think that Yveltal is based on the eagle that lives on top of Yggdrasil in Asgard the Afterlife.

Soo death? Deathstruction I guess?

Nidhoggr has more to do with death and destruction than the eagle. Also, Yggdrasil connects the Nine Realms, one of which is Asgard. Yggdrasil is not in Asgard, Asgard is in Yggdrasil. But I digress.

Look at this way: Yveltal's design is almost certainly based on the bearded vulture. Vultures eat carrion. Nidhoggr supposedly feasted on/tore at corpses. Yveltal is the Destruction Pokemon. Nidhoggr gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil to escape its prison there.

This wouldn't be the first time GF has based a Pokemon one way mythologically and another way physically. Look at Lugia, Rayquaza, and the Musketeers.

Plus, nobody really knows what the eagle does, other than apparently communicate with Nidhoggr through a squirrel and have a hawk sit between its eyes.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#65Emerald_MeliosPosted 7/18/2013 12:01:25 PM
So will there be a squirrel legendary based on Ratatoskr?
#66Firelion6593Posted 7/18/2013 12:04:05 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
So will there be a squirrel legendary based on Ratatoskr?

Doubtful. My guess is we'd get the actual eagle (assuming Yveltal is Nidhoggr). Wouldn't be the first time two legendaries have been birds.

And this is even assuming the Norse mythology stuff is correct. Though, admittedly, it's the most plausible explanation I've seen.
---
#67DrakoVongola1Posted 7/18/2013 12:05:18 PM
Firelion6593 posted...
AzNNinjaRB posted...

I still think that Yveltal is based on the eagle that lives on top of Yggdrasil in Asgard the Afterlife.

Nidhoggr has more to do with death and destruction than the eagle. Also, Yggdrasil connects the Nine Realms, one of which is Asgard. Yggdrasil is not in Asgard, Asgard is in Yggdrasil. But I digress.

Look at this way: Yveltal's design is almost certainly based on the bearded vulture. Vultures eat carrion. Nidhoggr supposedly feasted on/tore at corpses. Yveltal is the Destruction Pokemon. Nidhoggr gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil to escape its prison there.

This wouldn't be the first time GF has based a Pokemon one way mythologically and another way physically. Look at Lugia, Rayquaza, and the Musketeers.

Plus, nobody really knows what the eagle does, other than apparently communicate with Nidhoggr through a squirrel and have a hawk sit between its eyes.

What are Lugia and Rayquaza based on?
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#68Firelion6593Posted 7/18/2013 12:08:23 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
What are Lugia and Rayquaza based on?

Lugia is based on Ryujin, a Japanese dragon god who controlled the ocean currents from his underwater palace.

Rayquaza is based on the Ziz, the king of birds from Jewish mythology, who made a trio with the Behemoth (king of the land animals, Groudon) and the Leviathan (king of the fish, Kyogre).

That's what I've heard, anyway. Makes a lot of sense to me.
---
#69CharizardFirePosted 7/18/2013 2:59:54 PM
So Xerneas is the "LIFE" pokemon, Yveltal is the "DESTRUCTION pokemon"...

...Not the Death pokémon...

DESTRUCTION.

The people that decided this must be fans of Kefka.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#70Doctor_SpankyPosted 7/18/2013 3:14:00 PM
Firelion6593 posted...
AzNNinjaRB posted...

If Pokemon's really delving into the Norse mythology for this gen, do you think we'll see the Three Norns as a legendary trio?