This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Mythbusters: Day 6- The Zodiac Fire Starter Theory

#1iKhanicPosted 7/13/2013 2:52:59 PM
What do you think of the "N is Zoroark" theory after this discussion: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/66657274 - Results (92 votes)
"N is Zoroark" theory CONFIRMED
32.61% (30 votes)
"N is Zoroark" theory BUSTED
67.39% (62 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So today, we'll discuss the Zodiac Fire Starter theory and evaluate the "N is Zoroark" theory

See the full "N is Zoroark" topic here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/66657274

Today we shall evaluate the Zodiac fire starter theory, which claims that the fire starters are all being made based on the Chinese Zodiac

The theory is pretty well explained with this picture on Dorkly. This picture also presents some trends in the other starters, but ONLY FIRE STARTERS are being looked at today.
http://www.dorkly.com/picture/48783/the-truth-about-pokemon-starters

This picture also describes it well (with some half decent fan art)
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/174/e/a/fire_starters_zodiac_by_yshiro14-d6ac9jh.png

I think that it's certainly possible that Game Freak has started to follow that theory since Gen 3, but Cyndaquil's not a rat, and only the final stage of Charmander's line is a Dragon, so the idea that they've been doing that from the start is crap.

Results:
Blues Raticate 73.91%- BUSTED
Genesect-Kabutops 84.52%- BUSTED
Mew-Ditto 57.26%- CONFIRMED
Venonat-Butterfree- 50.68% CONFIRMED
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#2AysanderPosted 7/13/2013 2:59:36 PM
Rumor kinda holds up, since Foxes are oddly a part of the canine family, even though they look slightly rodent-based.
#3kaonohiokalaPosted 7/13/2013 3:02:43 PM
is cyndaquil really a rat tho
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#4FuneralCakePosted 7/13/2013 3:04:40 PM
I really don't like this theory. As you said, Cyndaquil is not a rat (or a mouse, or anything else resembling one), and Fennekin is not a dog (though that's sort of semantics). I can still go with Charmander being a dragon, considering Charizard.

It's kind of disappointing, because I'd really like to see a fire rabbit starter, but that fits with this theory.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 3:12:11 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I really don't like this theory. As you said, Cyndaquil is not a rat (or a mouse, or anything else resembling one), and Fennekin is not a dog (though that's sort of semantics). I can still go with Charmander being a dragon, considering Charizard.

It's kind of disappointing, because I'd really like to see a fire rabbit starter, but that fits with this theory.

I know, I'd love to see a Fire Tiger. Tigers are my favorite animal and Fire's my favorite type. It works perfectly.

And a rabbit pokemon not based on Playboy would be appreciated
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
Dictator of the Zelda Wii U Board
#6kaonohiokalaPosted 7/13/2013 3:13:04 PM
iKhanic posted...
Results:
Blues Raticate 73.91%- BUSTED
Genesect-Kabutops 84.52%- BUSTED
Mew-Ditto 57.26%- CONFIRMED
Venonat-Butterfree- 50.68% CONFIRMED

ITT: CONFIRMED = ???
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#7Duskull24Posted 7/13/2013 3:13:41 PM
Cyndaquil is the fire mouse pokemon. Mice are pretty damn similar to rats. I don't see what the problem is with that.
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
#8alatreon789Posted 7/13/2013 3:15:02 PM
FuneralCake posted...

Umm... cyndaquil is a mouse. http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/155.shtml "Classification Fire Mouse Pokémon "
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#9FuneralCakePosted 7/13/2013 3:18:39 PM
Except it's not a mouse. Look at it. Does it look like a mouse to you? It's a porcupine or hedgehog.

The reason it's a "fire mouse" is because they couldn't fit in "fire hedgehog" into the species name for the Japanese versions. Hedgehog is "needle mouse," so it was shortened to just "mouse."

Same reason why Sandshrew is also a "mouse" Pokemon; armadillo (armor mouse) wouldn't fit, so it was shortened again.

Then you have the stupid translation team being stupid and not catching that.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#10Duskull24Posted 7/13/2013 3:24:43 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Except it's not a mouse. Look at it. Does it look like a mouse to you? It's a porcupine or hedgehog.

The reason it's a "fire mouse" is because they couldn't fit in "fire hedgehog" into the species name for the Japanese versions. Hedgehog is "needle mouse," so it was shortened to just "mouse."

Same reason why Sandshrew is also a "mouse" Pokemon; armadillo (armor mouse) wouldn't fit, so it was shortened again.

Then you have the stupid translation team being stupid and not catching that.

So hedgehog in Japanese is needle mouse? You really don't see how Gamefreak could have made the connection from rat to hedgehog? Contrary to what you may think, the employees at Gamefreak are a bunch of programmers and artists, not biologists.
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10