This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What new types could they make?

#11GameNinjaGuyPosted 7/13/2013 5:50:21 PM
FenriLoki posted...
Light type still makes no sense to me. Anything light has to offer is already covered by 4 types (Psychic, Fire, Electric, and Grass). And it wouldn't make a good foil to dark - Dark's foil is Fighting. Plus, Dark types aren't THAT kind of dark, since they're "Evil" type in Japan.

Just as dark means evil, light as used in RPGs means holy, not literal light.
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!
My SSB4 roster: http://tinyurl.com/ctaqf3x
#12KosacVPosted 7/13/2013 5:50:52 PM
Omega type
Wild type
Civil type
Heart type
Tri type
Time type
Volume type

That's all I got.
---
Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty credible. I guess.
~Placeholder line~
#13Octaivian_RexPosted 7/13/2013 5:58:53 PM
Super Fire type.
---
http://picasion.com/resize70/8cd5a09ffb091458e8b25ab5cf41c108.gif
#14FenriLokiPosted 7/13/2013 5:59:50 PM
GameNinjaGuy posted...
FenriLoki posted...
Light type still makes no sense to me. Anything light has to offer is already covered by 4 types (Psychic, Fire, Electric, and Grass). And it wouldn't make a good foil to dark - Dark's foil is Fighting. Plus, Dark types aren't THAT kind of dark, since they're "Evil" type in Japan.

Just as dark means evil, light as used in RPGs means holy, not literal light.

There's a difference in treatment, though.

Dark as most people who propose Light-types use it tend to take dark as "Blasts of dark energy", when it is not generally actually treated that way. In the games, Dark, aside from two attacks, implies "Dirty fighter/Cheater". Whereas fighting types seem to embody "Fair Fighter/Disciplined".

The Light-type these people seem to want is "Judgement from the Heavens", which would essentially mean holy-types. There is no reason for such a type to exist, and it would present its own set of issues, especially theological ones. If I want to play a game with this extra theological baggage, I have SMT instead.
---
The official Megami Tensei Art Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board. Why? Why not? Because. Maybe. Exactly. My hair is bigger than you.
#15squidgy617Posted 7/13/2013 6:06:26 PM(edited)
FenriLoki posted...

Isn't Fighting called "Hero" in Japan?

Pretty much covers Dark's foil if that's the case, but I can't remember for sure.

EDIT: Quick Google search suggests otherwise, but eh.
#16Conflagration(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 6:37:53 PM
Yes, Dark does mean "evil" basically,,, but it *also* represents literal darkness, I think. How else do you explain Dark Pulse, for example which is a bunch of black energy, or Darkrai being a shadow pretty much?
#17leadinteaPosted 7/13/2013 7:11:10 PM
Meta289 posted...
Soap and Grease.

Wow! I've thought of this same type combo before!

Soap > Grease > Water > Soap
---
http://enneagames.livejournal.com/559.html
leadintea | Auragaea | Pearce | 23 | Ranger | DA
#18ZTIger5Posted 7/13/2013 7:19:30 PM
KosacV posted...
Omega type
Wild type
Civil type
Heart type
Tri type
Time type
Volume type

That's all I got.

What...? How would any of these work? What would be the qualifications for any of them?
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#19FenriLokiPosted 7/13/2013 7:41:15 PM
Conflagration posted...
Yes, Dark does mean "evil" basically,,, but it *also* represents literal darkness, I think. How else do you explain Dark Pulse, for example which is a bunch of black energy, or Darkrai being a shadow pretty much?

I can't give an excuse for Darkrai, but I CAN give one for Dark Pulse and Night Daze(Kinda). Dark Pulse is attacking with an aura of negative emotions (So...not REALLY a blast of darkness) to make the other pokemon flinch. It's actually possible to achieve a version of this in real life (With less...physically painful results). It's essentially like telling someone something horrible about yourself in hopes it gives them pause, or having a sort of depressing/disturbing aura about yourself.

Night Daze, on the other hand, is the second(kinda) and ONLY dark attack that marries "Dirty Fighter/Cheater" and "Blast of darkness" - the effect is a dark shockwave (dark blast) that has a decent chance to lower accuracy (Dirty/Cheater). It also happens to belong to the Second Pokemon that marries the concepts - A tricky (Dirty/Cheater) fox with magical powers (BLASTS!)

I technically count Darkrai as the first to do this, but his attack isn't really a blast of Darkness. It's more of a..."curse", if you will, and it's ability will cause damage to the pokemon as it is unable to defend itself. It's also seen by others to be evil. (Weak explanation, I know.)

So, while these two pokemon are shadowy, they also follow the trend of "Dirty/Cheating" tactics.
---
The official Megami Tensei Art Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board. Why? Why not? Because. Maybe. Exactly. My hair is bigger than you.
#20KosacVPosted 7/13/2013 7:47:45 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
KosacV posted...
Omega type
Wild type
Civil type
Heart type
Tri type
Time type
Volume type

That's all I got.

What...? How would any of these work? What would be the qualifications for any of them?

I'm sure there is at least one existing pokemon that can become each one of those, but I wasn't being completely serious.

I would like for Gamefreak to make a game-breaking type and call it Alpha or Omega or something.
---
Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty credible. I guess.
~Placeholder line~