This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any suggestions for my mono-fighting team?

#1ThePokeMan98Posted 7/15/2013 7:33:47 PM
I kind of just got back into pokemon and for competitive battling I'm thinking of putting together a mono fighting team that is actually usable. I already put the team together, I'm just curious if it could be better (better coverage, etc.). Thought I'd try this topic here since it's more active. Please don't mind my descriptions. lol

Infernape @ Choice band
Blaze //Jolly
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Flare blitz / u-turn / close combat / mach punch

My lead. Pretty standard setup to use infernape's coverage to many threats to my advantage. Acts as scout.

Keldeo @ life orb
Justified // Timid
253 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 hp
Secret sword / calm mind / hydro pump / substitute

Once keldeo gets a calm mind boost it's pretty much game, especially if he has a sub up. This setup counters rain teams (in a way).

Conkeldurr @ leftovers
Guts // Adamant
176 hp / 80 atk / 252 SpD
Mach punch / bulk up / drain punch / ice punch

Conkeldurr is on this team for 2 reasons: bulk and priority. Conkeldurr, if needed, could switch into pretty much any neutral attack without fear of being OHKO'd, thanks to his amazing bulk in both defenses.

Breloom @ life orb
Technician // Jolly
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Bullet seed / Swords dance / spore / mach punch

I've actually had no personal experience with using this setup for breloom. But from what I've read, this setup aims to cripple the other team with priority and can potentially sweep a full team after multiple SD's.

Throh @ leftovers
Guts // Careful
252 SpD / 4 Spe / 252 HP
Payback / rest / circle throw / toxic

Like conkeldurr, throh provides amazing bulk for this team. But there's a difference; he provides more reliable special defense. This setup may only be defensive in nature, but throh still hits hard.

Terrakion @ choice scarf
Justified // Adamant
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Earthquake / x-scissor / close combat / stone edge

C'mon, a fighting team wouldn't be complete without using imo one of the most annoying sweepers in the metagame. This guy is just a wrecking ball. He is actually my only reliable revenge killer, but he's a one man army.
---
"True courage is knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one." - Gandalf The Grey
#2Archwing3441Posted 7/15/2013 7:40:37 PM
I recommend Lucario, not only can he be a sp. Attacker (you only have one), he isn't weak to flying like 5 of your pokemon. Same for Scrafty and Psychic.
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#3mada7Posted 7/15/2013 7:55:24 PM(edited)
Archwing3441 posted...
I recommend Lucario, not only can he be a sp. Attacker (you only have one), he isn't weak to flying like 5 of your pokemon. Same for Scrafty and Psychic.

Pretty much this. If your team has no answer for psychic types or flying types youre going to struggle with a mono fighting team.

The key for a mono type team to work is making sure that you have things to cover the weaknesses of that type. A mono psychic team for example would do well to have a couple of steel types to negate a lot of weaknesses. Fighting is weak to flying and psychic so a dark type would be a huge boon and having an extra pokemon other than terrakion to cover flying types would be wise as well so either Cobalion or Lucario.

Your problem is more psychics than flying types because in its current state Alakazam sweeps your entire team so Scrafty is a must but if you really hate it then Gallade can work too
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419
#4ThePokeMan98(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2013 7:54:37 PM
Archwing3441 posted...

Alright, yeah idk how i missed that. I guess i could take out conkeldurr or throh for lucario. Scrafty however idk what to switch with.
---
"True courage is knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one." - Gandalf The Grey
#5Strain42Posted 7/15/2013 7:56:14 PM
Heracross because Heracross :D
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#6ThePokeMan98(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2013 8:00:23 PM
mada7 posted...
Archwing3441 posted...

Pretty much this. If your team has no answer for psychic types or flying types youre going to struggle with a mono fighting team.

The key for a mono type team to work is making sure that you have things to cover the weaknesses of that type. A mono psychic team for example would do well to have a couple of steel types to negate a lot of weaknesses. Fighting is weak to flying and psychic so a dark type would be a huge boon and having an extra pokemon other than terrakion to cover flying types would be wise as well so either Cobalion or Lucario.

Your problem is more psychics than flying types because in its current state Alakazam sweeps your entire team so Scrafty is a must but if you really hate it then Gallade can work too

Lucario seems like a must then. Of course, I'm unsure who should go. Conkeldurr and throh both provide the bulk for "safe" switches and survival. Maybe breloom could go... But all of these guys fill niches that help the team as a whole. Bulk. Priority. Speed. Now that i look at my team, only 3 of my pokemon actually have decent speed. Throh, conkeldurr, and breloom are slower. Conkeldurr and throh at leadt have bulk, but breloom doesn't. I guess breloom should go (lol thinking as I type).

Tl;dr I think I should switch breloom out for lucario.
---
#7ThePokeMan98(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2013 8:02:40 PM
Strain42 posted...
Heracross because Heracross :D

Well... In serious terms that isn't really detailed...

However, heracross is a badass pokemon. I guess he could cover my psychic weakness, but lucario in the end would be better for the job. :/
---
#8mada7Posted 7/15/2013 8:07:59 PM
Id sooner put in Srafty over Lucario because you do have some pokemon that can hit flying types but right now alakazam rips your entire team apart. Scrafty forces Alakazam to rely on it's inaccurate focus blast rather than that terrifying stab psychic attack. A HP Fire Zam will take out lucario as well but Scrafty might be able to take a hit from Alakazam and hit it back with a stab crunch that will definitely kill it if it isn't wearing a focus sash
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419