This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

...Talonflame?

#11BountyanPosted 7/15/2013 11:28:32 PM
Nope. Not a placeholder unfortunately, because it's an awful name.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#12SocranPosted 7/15/2013 11:42:30 PM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
Oh..?
Just like Voltorb?
Slowpoke?
Sandshrew?
Sandslash?

You know, since they're all pretty much two words mashed into one?

You forgot to mention Castform.

Castform is the only one of those that rolls off the tongue as badly as Talonflame, though. Maybe Sandslash. I wouldn't mind at all if the name was equally uncreative but more natural to say, like Quillflame. But the hard change between consonants just draws attention to the fact that it's two seperate words.

I mean, I'm not going around complaining about its name every time I see it, but since we're on the subject, it is simply not a natural-sounding name.

Nothing will ever be as awkward to say as "Zebstrika", though.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#13Twilight_SonataPosted 7/15/2013 11:45:37 PM
Socran posted...

+1
I loved Blitze when I first saw it, but everything about Zebstrika, name included, ruined it for me.
#14MidnightCrewPosted 7/15/2013 11:48:13 PM
Socran posted...
CharizardFire posted...
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
Oh..?
Just like Voltorb?
Slowpoke?
Sandshrew?
Sandslash?

You know, since they're all pretty much two words mashed into one?

You forgot to mention Castform.

Castform is the only one of those that rolls off the tongue as badly as Talonflame, though. Maybe Sandslash. I wouldn't mind at all if the name was equally uncreative but more natural to say, like Quillflame. But the hard change between consonants just draws attention to the fact that it's two seperate words.

I mean, I'm not going around complaining about its name every time I see it, but since we're on the subject, it is simply not a natural-sounding name.

Nah, Sandshrew and Sandslash both work a little better cause the sybillance of the words that are being combined does slip off the tongue, I find. Talonflame sounds like a lame 90s superhero where they just combined two words to make it sound cool to kids...Wait... THAT'S MY PROBLEM WITH IT. REMINDS ME OF FREAKING SHATTERSTAR. Ugh.
---
Official Scrafty Of The Black And White Clan, Official Misdreavus of The BW 2 Boards. Official Lorelei of the BW 2 Boards.
#15SocranPosted 7/16/2013 12:00:30 AM
MidnightCrew posted...
Nah, Sandshrew and Sandslash both work a little better cause the sybillance of the words that are being combined does slip off the tongue, I find.

Well, Sandslash is definitely more natural than Talonflame, it's just a little less natural than, say, Voltorb. If you didn't speak English, you wouldn't even be able to tell that the divide is between "volt" and "orb".

Twilight_Sonata posted...
Socran posted...

+1
I loved Blitze when I first saw it, but everything about Zebstrika, name included, ruined it for me.

I actually love Zebstrika as a Pokemon, it's just so awkward to say. I'm not even entirely sure how it's pronounced (zeb? zeeb?), but none of the possibilities change those horribly placed consonants.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#16EdwardDarkstarPosted 7/16/2013 12:03:11 AM
Talonflame seems more like a skylander's name.
---
What's worse than getting dumped?
Being forced to listen to some 10 year old rage in his mic on BO2.
#17elconoMPosted 7/16/2013 12:04:37 AM
Visit the Name Rater. NPCs get neglected, too.
---
(GMT -7) 3DS FC 5171.9701.9373 - GT and Unova FC available.
Feel pity for ACNL trade boards. Resistance is textile.
#18SephirothtPosted 7/16/2013 12:17:31 AM
elconoM posted...
Visit the Name Rater. NPCs get neglected, too.

This.
Dun like the name, change it. It's what the option is for people.
---
Officially faved Ninetales everywhere, R - Burning Knight Executive
http://pokefarm.org/_ext/user/Sephi#0
#19nro87Posted 7/16/2013 12:17:53 AM
Oreno5267 posted...
Should I post that list here again?

yes, i havent seen it

Ok, I actually posted a list of Pokémon from Gen 1 whose names were 2 words stuck together with no change in spelling, like Talonflame. However, I can post the real-word names now.

Oddish, Haunter, Gloom, Hypno, Ditto, Mr. Mime, Mew, Golem, Persian, Slowpoke, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, and Electrode. Those are just from Gen 1.

As for two words stuck together, Ninetales, Voltorb, Vileplume, Slowbro, Beedrill, Geodude, Butterfree, Jigglypuff, Dugtrio, Primeape, Bellsprout, Seaking, and Mewtwo. This list is much longer than I thought it was. Just more reason for you all to stop b****ing and get over it.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#20Twilight_SonataPosted 7/16/2013 12:25:07 AM(edited)
People don't dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words jammed together. People dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words badly jammed together. Responding to the dislike by showing examples of two words jammed together that aren't done so badly just makes one look deliberately obtuse and isn't actually productive.