This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

...Talonflame?

#21MidnightCrewPosted 7/16/2013 1:26:45 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
People don't dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words jammed together. People dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words badly jammed together. Responding to the dislike by showing examples of two words jammed together that aren't done so badly just makes one look deliberately obtuse and isn't actually productive.

This exactly.
---
Official Scrafty Of The Black And White Clan, Official Misdreavus of The BW 2 Boards. Official Lorelei of the BW 2 Boards.
#22nro87Posted 7/16/2013 1:33:12 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
People don't dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words jammed together. People dislike "Talonflame" because it's two words badly jammed together. Responding to the dislike by showing examples of two words jammed together that aren't done so badly isn't actually productive, except to maybe get people to slightly better explain themselves.

Except it isn't that badly done. I like the name, and it rolls off my tongue just fine. If some people have problems saying it, too bad. They can nickname it, not use it, or learn to speak better.

As for the sharp contrast of consonants, namely the "nf" run, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of English words with "nf" in them that sound fine. Infect, inflame, inflate, conflate, conflict, confuse, confide, inferno, unfailing, rainfall, infamous, and many, many more. A very large number of these words also have the "nfl" run that is present in Talonflame.

There, is that better for you? I've given substantial arguments against both claims now, so if you still dislike the name, then it is just personal opinion. It has nothing to do with word structure or the creativity put into it.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#23Twilight_SonataPosted 7/16/2013 1:41:50 AM(edited)
nro87 posted...
Except it isn't that badly done.

Except that it is.
See how that works? Still not productive.

As for the sharp contrast of consonants...

That, again, is looking at the question simplistically. There's more to it than that. Just as it's the sharp contrast of consonants that makes the combination seem badly jammed together, it's the implied syllabic stress that makes those specific consonants seem more sharply contrasted than in other words that may use similar consonant structure. It may not be a problem for you. Oh well.

If you still dislike the name, then it is just personal opinion. It has nothing to do with word structure or the creativity put into it.

Those two things do not contradict one another. It can have plenty to do with word structure and/or creativity and still be a matter of opinion. This is a false dichotomy.
#24nro87Posted 7/16/2013 1:49:53 AM(edited)
What are you claiming is the "implied syllabic stress" for Talonflame's name? In my opinion, the primary stress is on the first syllable, Tal. The rest of the word sounds exactly like "inflame." What's the problem there?

As for the last point, the creativity issue is moot because of the multiple examples I gave from Gen 1 that nobody complains about. They are just as uncreative, yet get no hate.

But whatever. It's almost 4 a.m. and I'm tired. I know you, Twilight. You rarely leave an argument even after you've lost, so I'll go to sleep now, having supported my points multiple times. Feel free to continue to attempt to offer a rebuttal. I probably won't respond because I really don't care anymore.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#25Twilight_SonataPosted 7/16/2013 1:57:15 AM(edited)
nro87 posted...
What are you claiming is the "implied syllabic stress" for Talonflame's name? In my opinion, the primary stress is on the first syllable, Tal. The rest of the word sounds exactly like "inflame." What's the problem there?

That's exactly the problem. For me, at least, what makes the word "inflame" work is the clear stressing of the second syllable. If only the first syllable of Talonflame is stressed, the "inflame" part loses the stress that makes it work. If only the last syllable of Talonflame is stressed, "talon" can't be as clearly pronounced. One could try stressing both the first and last syllables, but that comes across as needlessly awkward for a word with so few syllables structured in such a way. Is this a matter of opinion? Sure, but that doesn't mean that it's not legitimately rooted, and there's certainly no reason to try to "disprove" it just because you disagree.

The creativity issue is moot because of the multiple examples I gave from Gen 1 that nobody complains about. They are just as uncreative, yet get no hate.

Plenty of people complain about those. They're just not in the limelight because there are people about to graduate high school that were born after 1st generation came out.

For your benefit, I will ignore the blatant immaturity you demonstrated after your edit.
#26deadpool848Posted 7/16/2013 5:47:21 AM
I'll just nickname it Scott like I do with all my pidgey equivalents =P.