This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Feraligatr buy a vowel with the new character limit?

#21evoxpiscesPosted 7/18/2013 10:48:08 AM
For those that argue that the name is "too old" to be retconned to add one letter, they retconned a whole bunch of pokemon from gen 1 thru 5 and made them a fairy type. That is vastly more different than adding 1 letter to a name. The whole "abbreviated names"thing has bugged me for a long time. Now it doesn't have to.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1124-3955
#22PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 7/18/2013 10:56:56 AM
Deep down I think they should change it.

It just looks idiotic. I don't really care that it's been the same for however many years, because it's been idiotic for that many years. Naming things something for the sake of character limit has always irked me.

The only thing that bothers me about changing names is all those databases out there might get trickier. BUT It's not like you'd have to type out the entirety of "Feraligator" to find it's entry though, and google would say "did you mean ___?" But of course people out there would find some way to screw it up or complain.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#23Firelion6593Posted 7/18/2013 10:58:58 AM
evoxpisces posted...
For those that argue that the name is "too old" to be retconned to add one letter, they retconned a whole bunch of pokemon from gen 1 thru 5 and made them a fairy type. That is vastly more different than adding 1 letter to a name. The whole "abbreviated names"thing has bugged me for a long time. Now it doesn't have to.

I wouldn't call three "a whole bunch."

Even so, it's possible Feraligatr's name will be changed, and it's possible it won't. I personally don't think it will be, but I didn't think they'd introduce a new Type either, so who knows?
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#24Sid_StarkillerPosted 7/18/2013 11:59:04 AM
As much as I hope they do, I'm not counting on it. GF tends to do as little retconning as they can (ex: Nidorina/Nidoqueen STILL can't breed).
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292-6017-5477 (Sid)
Statement: Just a simple droid here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
#25Rad_DudesmanPosted 7/18/2013 12:00:31 PM
No

Feraligatr is cooler
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#26X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/18/2013 12:06:52 PM
I think it anything "Feraligatr" looks best and if you had to add a vowel it should be an E than an O.

Feraligatr: Here are rent-a-gatr, you can call us up and we will immediately rush on over to water anything you like!

Feraligatr: Call now. The number's 1-800-WTR-GATOR. That's 1-800-WTR-GATOR. Leave off the O for "Originality".

*Commercial ends*
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#27jakovuPosted 7/18/2013 12:10:26 PM
Let me guess, you also want Trubbish to be chane to Trashrubbish. Or Fearow to Fearsparrow. Or Talonflame to... wait.
#28X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/18/2013 12:16:26 PM
jakovu posted...
Let me guess, you also want Trubbish to be chane to Trashrubbish. Or Fearow to Fearsparrow. Or Talonflame to... wait.

Tailonflamingbird
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#29FuneralCakePosted 7/18/2013 12:17:52 PM
NessEggman posted...
You mean the more intuitive spelling.

Feraligatr is the proper spelling, as long as that's what the game calls it.

It's like trying to say "Seal is the proper spelling" or "Pikatyuu is the proper spelling" or something.

If I gave you three letters to spell the word "glass," nothing you could come up with would be the proper spelling of "glass." Feraligator is the same way.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
love me like it's prom night
#30jayman7Posted 7/18/2013 12:19:07 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
I think that Feraligatr is far too old of a name to change, as with Victreebel. If there was a Gen V Pokemon that had a 10-character name that was intended to be longer, that MIGHT be OK, but those two names are likely here to stay.

Cophagrigus.

Firelion6593 posted...
evoxpisces posted...

I wouldn't call three "a whole bunch."

Oh, right, because it's going to be exactly three. That's been confirmed, donchano. They're adding a Fairy type to Jigglypuff and Marill, but not Wigglytuff and Azumarill, not to mention all those other Pokémon that are obviously Fairy-like that haven't been mentioned yet (like Clefairy, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, et al.) Heck, the leak that has been very right about very many things says Mawile will become a Fairy-type too, but they're wrong this time and this time alone.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere