This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I know Gamefreak is less likely to retcon Pokemon typings for Fairy, however...

#1FeatherinePosted 7/16/2013 10:58:50 AM
Do you think Togekiss's typing will change? - Results (66 votes)
Yes, it will become Fairy/Flying
83.33% (55 votes)
No, it will remain Normal/Flying
16.67% (11 votes)
Other (specify!)
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So I know Gamefreak is less likely to retcon Pokemon typings for Fairy, however:

I've been thinking. Togepi, in my opinion, qualifies as one of the Pokemon who will have an added Fairy typing. Now, being the Togekiss fanboy I am, I was sort of hoping Togekiss would also receive its Fairy typing in replacement of its current normal typing. Sorta like Fairy/Flying.

But seeing as Gamefreak tries deliberately to avoid retconning current Pokemon types (because the only pre-VI Pokemon we've seen are dual-typed with Fairy), I sorta have my hopes down for now.

So people. What do you think will happen? Do you recall if the anime or games ever touched upon Togekiss's normal typing (because usually things like Pidgeotto are mentioned only as "birds" or flying type)?
#2X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/16/2013 11:00:29 AM
Flying Fairy
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#3Strain42Posted 7/16/2013 11:02:26 AM
I don't really have anything to back up this other than precedent, which I don't think it ever a good source of evidence, but I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I don't think they should mess with any Pokemon that are already dual typed. It's kind of a dick move.

They already have 2 types, leave 'em alone.

At least that's what I hope they do.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#4RDS1Posted 7/16/2013 11:03:43 AM
Normal/Fairy.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#5SergeantJamjarsPosted 7/16/2013 11:04:04 AM
Remember Magneton? RBY it was pure electric and now its Steel/Electric

I definitely think it will happen.
---
"The moon is just the sun at night" - Black Sabbath
3DS FC: 3909 - 8809 - 2854, PS3: NinjaChildPrime
#6jayman7Posted 7/16/2013 11:06:13 AM
Rotom's alternate formes were Electric/Ghost in the fourth gen and Electric/Not-Ghost in the fifth. I wouldn't say that changing a dualtype is unprecedented.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#7legitgamer405Posted 7/16/2013 11:09:03 AM
Strain42 posted...
I don't really have anything to back up this other than precedent, which I don't think it ever a good source of evidence, but I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I don't think they should mess with any Pokemon that are already dual typed. It's kind of a dick move.

They already have 2 types, leave 'em alone.

At least that's what I hope they do.

I agree. And since this is a new generation, we're going to have a LOT of new fairy types. We don't need 50 Pokemon from previous gens retconned into the Fairy type.
---
3DS FC: 1564-2580-9641
#8legitgamer405Posted 7/16/2013 11:11:14 AM
jayman7 posted...
Rotom's alternate formes were Electric/Ghost in the fourth gen and Electric/Not-Ghost in the fifth. I wouldn't say that changing a dualtype is unprecedented.

It didn't change Rotom itself so it was fine IMO. And I think most people were happy or at least fine with the changing of Rotom's formes' types.
---
#9legitgamer405Posted 7/16/2013 11:12:52 AM
Changing some Pokemon into the Fairy type is OK, as long as they don't change a lot of them IMO.
---
#10Strain42Posted 7/16/2013 11:13:15 AM
jayman7 posted...

This is admittedly true, and while I'm not going to use this as my argument, that's something that should have been done from the start.

Obviously Togetic/Togekiss couldn't have been Fairy from the start since it didn't exist, but I just don't see any good reason for Togekiss to become a Fairy type when it already has two types.

The only reasons I hear from people to change Togetic/Togekiss are "It's in the Fairy egg group" and "It looks like a Fairy" and I'm not going to say any of those reasons are wrong, but there are plenty of single type Pokemon that meet both of those qualifications that would be better off with gaining a dual type rather than simply changing one that already is.

I'm still personally hoping they'll keep retcons to a respectable minimum, and I think a really big part of that would be not messing with Pokemon that are already dual typed.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020