This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever take up Pokemon with the same defensive typings on a team?

#1_Sky_Otter_Posted 7/16/2013 11:34:21 AM
If no, why does it bother you? If yes, why doesn't it?
#2Konnor97Posted 7/16/2013 11:53:49 AM(edited)
Uh, do you mean like, for example, I would have 2 fighting types and 2 poison types on my team? If so, then no, not usually. Sometimes, yeah, but not that often. I don't do it much because I like to have at least a little team variety, even if I end up with like 3 pokemon weak to fire or something.

If you mean like, for example, I have 3 pokemon weak to ground, then yeah, something to that effect usually happens.
#3LyokoNinjaPosted 7/16/2013 11:53:21 AM
Rarely, and only if both are dual-types that offer different enough roles on my team to warrant it.
#4_Sky_Otter_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 11:59:11 AM
@Konnor:
Yeah, like that. I suppose if you have a dual and one pure, do you still feel like the pure is better if the dual has a 4x weakness?

@Lyoko:
what roles do you have?
#5Hierarchy225Posted 7/16/2013 11:59:58 AM
Very. Very rarely. And when I do it doesn't really work out.
---
The Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#6Strain42Posted 7/16/2013 12:02:03 PM
I'm not sure what you mean...

Do you mean like will I choose not to have a Fighting and a Steel type in the same team because they both resist Dark?

Or do you just mean that we don't use doubles of any types in our teams?

If the former, No. If the latter, Yes. I don't like to have 2 of the same type on my team. There are 18 types now, you can only have a maximum of 12 in any one team. I see no reason to use doubles.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#7_Sky_Otter_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 12:10:30 PM
Yeah, the latter
#8JoJoX200Posted 7/16/2013 12:15:02 PM
Depends. For multiplayer, I try to have as many resistances/immunities as possible, so using two Steel types is pretty common for my teams.

Ingame, I somehow can't have two of the same primary type at all. Secondary typings I don't care about as long as it's no more than two, but primary types can't be doubles. It's strange, but it just irks me. Even if that means I can't use all of my faves.
#9PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 7/16/2013 12:18:27 PM
Yes, I try not to use doubles of any typing on my team.

One exception I suppose would be Normal, because it is a second typing for many, and I sometimes use a single mono-normal on my team too. But not often.

The only other exception is a Legendary. I'll use a legendary if it has a type in my party already, as long as one of the two has a different typing as well or has a plethora of types for moves. I rarely use legendaries too, mostly when I need a failsafe for a battle.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#10Konnor97Posted 7/16/2013 12:26:08 PM
_Sky_Otter_ posted...
@Konnor:
Yeah, like that. I suppose if you have a dual and one pure, do you still feel like the pure is better if the dual has a 4x weakness?

The pure I would say isn't better automatically compared to a pokemon that has the 4x weakness. For example, I'd take Quagsire over say Seaking or Kingler, because Quagsire's ground type can come in handy against electric types. But if a grass type is coming out, I wouldn't keep a water type out in the first place, unless I have confidence with it in the situation. It depends on the situation concerning dual types with 4x weakness(es), but I'll usually take the dual type. They usually give out more options when facing opponents, and that's usually good enough for me.

That doesn't mean I won't use pure typed pokemon though. I prefer Lilligant over the other grass type (besides Snivy's line) in Unova, and I also like pokemon like Zangoose or Serviper in my team whenever I replay Hoenn. I just usually prefer dual types.