This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy Moly! Why is a copy of HGSS so damned expensive!?

#1PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 7/16/2013 11:55:42 AM
So I want to run through as many of the old games as I can before XY comes out.

I was shopping around thinking I'd find a copy for between $20-30 MAX, and what do I find? Gamestop selling new copies for $40 and used for $45.

WHAT?!

OK let's try Amazon.....

$60+.......

What is going on?! Did they purposely make a limited amount of copies of that game or something? I understand it's getting old but damn this is ridiculous! Never should have traded in my old copy, it's probably the best pokemon game ever made....
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#2levyjl1988Posted 7/16/2013 11:58:07 AM
Just buy from ebay, ppl from amazon always want to inflate the prices 200% most of the time.
---
I hate games with bad game design
#3hellslingerPosted 7/16/2013 11:58:54 AM
I think part of the reason is the pedometer.

But it is odd that it has continuously gone up in price, it is nowhere near old enough for that to be happening.
---
http://i.imgur.com/0nnGT1c.jpg
#4CedlowPosted 7/16/2013 11:58:57 AM
I always thought the price was high cause they came with the pokewalker.
---
3DS FC- 2981-5785-3794
Pokemon white 2 FC-2838-7906-7636
#5-hotdogturtle--Posted 7/16/2013 11:58:58 AM
Gamestop selling new copies for $40

That's what it retailed for when it came out. I'd buy it now (while they still sell it) before the price actually goes up.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#6mjalal100Posted 7/16/2013 11:59:55 AM
New copies come with a Pokewalker, which raises its value

Most used Pokemon games tend to be pretty expensive, about 70-100% of retail price

HGSS is the best in the series, but it is tied with Platinum and BW2 for that place.
---
If I had a superpower, it would be the ability to defy logic.
#7BerserkLeonPosted 7/16/2013 12:00:25 PM
Try 40$. As that's how much it was when it came out, due to the pokewalker.
I wouldnt try ebay unless they come with the pokewalker and everything looks as it should (including a description of the infrared working). If IR doesn't work it's probably a chinese clone.
If they don't come with a pokewalker, have one on hand to see if IR works. And don't buy it above 30$ w/o pokewalker because the walker itself is 10-15$.
#8PPPPLAASSUMA(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 12:01:06 PM
-hotdogturtle-- posted...

That's what it retailed for when it came out. I'd buy it now (while they still sell it) before the price actually goes up.

Probably good advice.

I just don't feel right spending that much on a game I've played X amount of times. But I suppose it is worth it.

And why the heck would USED cost more!? Pokewalker or no it doesn't make sense.

BTW I think I have my old pokewalker round here somewhere. It's probably useless without the original copy though eh? Plus I think it's dead.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#9koopabros64Posted 7/16/2013 12:01:26 PM
Pokemon games usually don't go down in price, because they're still so damn popular. My copy of SS cost about $25 dollars and it was just the cartridge without the case or anything.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.
#10patkelly929Posted 7/16/2013 12:04:23 PM
PPPPLAASSUMA posted...
-hotdogturtle-- posted...

Probably good advice.

I just don't feel right spending that much on a game I've played X amount of times. But I suppose it is worth it.

And why the heck would USED cost more!? Pokewalker or no it doesn't make sense.

BTW I think I have my old pokewalker round here somewhere. It's probably useless without the original copy though eh? Plus I think it's dead.

Used cost more because people don't like turning in games they love. Since Pokemon games tend to be loved by the people who buy them, they are rarely turned in. Since they are rarely turned in, there is a high demand among the used game consumers. Since that high demand exists, the price goes up.
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever