This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people assume that ghost Pokemon are actually ghosts?

#21Firelion6593Posted 7/17/2013 7:08:19 PM
It's called "Gameplay and Story Segregation."
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#22NewMoonShadowPosted 7/17/2013 7:15:30 PM
Firelion6593 posted...
It's called "Gameplay and Story Segregation."

This. The fact that Ghost-Types can breed has no bearing on the fact that they are, indeed, ghosts or spirits of some kind. Yamask has already been brought up, it's literally said to be the ghost of a dead human in its Pokedex entries. While not all ghosts are specifically dead humans, all are spirits, demons, or ethereal beings of some kind.

They can breed and hatch from eggs for the same reason that inanimate objects like Magnemite, plants like Sunflora, and even mammals like Rattata can hatch from eggs. Gameplay convenience and consistency.
#23Hierarchy225Posted 7/17/2013 7:19:44 PM(edited)
CyD13 posted...
They are living Pokemon just like every other Pokemon, they just have qualities that resemble what we have come to associate with ghosts.

Um.. Honedge is a spirit who possessed a sword, and Yamask is a spirit who possessed a mask.
---
The Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#24AlI_About_The_UPosted 7/17/2013 7:20:24 PM
Because they're mad spooky.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#25NewMoonShadowPosted 7/17/2013 7:21:17 PM
Hierarchy225 posted...
CyD13 posted...
They are living Pokemon just like every other Pokemon, they just have qualities that resemble what we have come to associate with ghosts.

Um.. Honedge is a spirit who possessed a sword, and Yamask is a spirit who possessed a mask.

Yamask is a human spirit. The "mask" it holds is its face from when it was alive.
#26frozenphantomPosted 7/17/2013 7:29:07 PM
Hylios878 posted...
CyD13 posted...
SoleEater posted...
TC is right, and apparently smarter than you all.

They're not ghosts, they're ghost type Pokemon. They're not dead. That's why we can breed Ghost type Pokemon, and they hatch from eggs, because they're living creatures.

When it comes to Pokemon, Types are adjectives, not nouns. They're not ghosts, they're Ghost type Pokemon.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Just as Camerupt isn't just some fire and what some people call ground, it's an animal in the Pokémon universe. Tornadus isn't "a flying", it flies.

Flying is an adverb.

... I can't really think of an instance where Flying is an adverb.

Used as a noun: Flying is a fun activity.
Used as verb: I am flying.
Used as an adjective: The flying bird looks cool.
Adverb... ?

I dunno, someone help me out here.
---
3DS FC: 3883-5243-9551
#27YourLuckPosted 7/17/2013 8:30:39 PM
If you're bringing up the pokedex entries, then you have to think about who wrote them and how they got their information.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#28NewMoonShadowPosted 7/18/2013 2:18:15 PM(edited)
YourLuck posted...
If you're bringing up the pokedex entries, then you have to think about who wrote them and how they got their information.

Well given that Pokedex entries are the only clue we have whatsoever into the nature of the Pokemon, they're kind of all one can talk about unless they want to talk about the anime, which has little resemblance to the games. If you disregard the Pokedex entries you might as well forget discussing the natures of Pokemon at all.
#29alatreon789Posted 7/18/2013 2:23:38 PM
I both agree and disagree. Some are ghost that turned into pokemon so now they are animals.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#30alatreon789Posted 7/18/2013 2:25:28 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
Because GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE NAME!!!!!

OMG Dd you here? Dragons exist IRL because komodo dragons have the word dragon in their name, so they must be a dragon.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012