This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't Smogon just ban Shadow Tag in UU and under?

#1iKhanicPosted 7/17/2013 7:45:40 PM
All the fully evolved pokemon that get it are banned from UU anyway.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2Scott1187Posted 7/17/2013 9:47:19 PM(edited)
Because Smogon are idiots.

They can ban specific situations, like having a pokemon with Swift Swim on the same team as a pokemon with Drizzle, or having Final Gambit on a pokemon in a 1v1 match, but they cant just ban Blaziken from using Speed Boost? They have to ban Blaziken entirely? What?
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1679-1616-3854
#3Rad_DudesmanPosted 7/17/2013 9:54:47 PM
Scott1187 posted...

They can ban specific situations, like having a pokemon with Swift Swim on the same team as a pokemon with Drizzle, or having Final Gambit on a pokemon in a 1v1 match, but they cant just ban Blaziken from using Speed Boost? They have to ban Blaziken entirely? What?

*sigh*

If they banned Speed Boost Blaziken, people would start making arguments for other Pokemon too.

Like:

"I should be allowed to use Overgrow Venusaur in UU!"
"Water Absorb Politoed and Flash Fire Ninetales in NU!"

It would be a complete and utter mess. It was much easier just to ban Blaziken.
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#4kaonohiokalaPosted 7/17/2013 10:04:34 PM
smogon are republican
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#5LightningHawk90Posted 7/17/2013 10:24:53 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
Scott1187 posted...

*sigh*

If they banned Speed Boost Blaziken, people would start making arguments for other Pokemon too.

Like:

All that tells me is that they're lazy ****s
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#6D_BartPosted 7/17/2013 10:31:45 PM
RageKaiser posted...

No, it makes the entire thing arbitrary. Should I be allowed to use Arceus NU if I give him nothing but struggle? Complex bans are a slippery slope.
---
Splash
#7Faust_8Posted 7/17/2013 10:36:09 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
Scott1187 posted...

*sigh*

Like:

This is easily avoided:

1) Pokemon are always evaluated at their best

2) Unless a new tool is given to them at a later date that is not ban-able across the board

Why can't you use Overgrow Venusaur in UU? Because you have to evaluate it with Chlorophyll. Why should Blaze Blaziken be allowed below Uber? Because Speed Boost by itself isn't ban-able and Blaziken didn't always have it.

Thus you can't make existing Pokemon worse to use them in lower tiers but we don't have to ban a usable Pokemon outright just because the devs decide to make it overpowered with a new addition in the future. So if (hypothetically) they gave Slaking a hidden ability, we wouldn't have to be like "welp, guess Slaking is forever Uber now" since we could easily only ban the new combination that was stupidly introduced.

All they have to do is set up some basic, fair ground rules and there wouldn't be people bugging them questions about Effect Spore Breloom and whatnot.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#8nro87Posted 7/17/2013 10:39:46 PM
Faust, your example is ridiculous. Venusaur hasn't always had Chlorophyll and banning Chlorophyll across the board would be bad.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#9Rad_DudesmanPosted 7/17/2013 10:46:57 PM
RageKaiser posted...
Rad_Dudesman posted...
Scott1187 posted...

*sigh*

Like:

Excuse the staff for having lives
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#10MrFingers07Posted 7/17/2013 10:50:12 PM
You could still use Wynaut in the lower tiers as it's very viable in those tiers.
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf