This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people waste SO MUCH time trying to get legit shinies?

#1KurumieePosted 7/18/2013 9:16:59 AM
There's such a thing as an action replay. I'm not here to tell them what they should and should not do, like a parent would, but it's not healthy to stare at a screen all day to find a Pokemon that is of a different colour than what it''s supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love to have a team of shiny pokemons, but I don't mind getting them hacked. Of course, the feeling of having a legit one, might be more special, but do you really want to spend a week doing the same thing over and over again? As if hacked shinies are in any way different than legit ones, besides that of course.
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 7/18/2013 9:18:24 AM
Hacking is typically frowned upon.
I'm not past hacking a Pokemon for IVs and shininess, but I do draw the line eventually.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#3rocknroller365Posted 7/18/2013 9:21:59 AM
Yeah I never go out of my way to get shinies. I don't hack either. If I find one, great. If I don't, no big deal.

Actually, I've only encountered 1 shiny in my Pokemon game-playing career, and that was in the Safari Zone so it ran away.... -__-;;
#4NewbieN00bPosted 7/18/2013 9:22:38 AM
I have nothing better to do, and just hacking one defeats the point of me finding a time sink.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#5Kurumiee(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 9:22:45 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
I'm not past hacking a Pokemon for IVs and shininess, but I do draw the line eventually.

But how can one tell whether a shiny is legit or not? Someone can come to these boards wanting to trade something for a legit shiny, but in return he gets the pokemon he requested, only hacked. Can he find out?
#6Strain42Posted 7/18/2013 9:24:13 AM
Even back when I had/used an action replay (back in the Ruby/Sapphire days before FRLG came out, I used it to get Pokemon that weren't catchable) I was actually never able to find a good Shiny code.

The only one I found was one that made every Pokemon shiny, but only so long as the code was on. So like if you caught one, saved, and turned it off, it wouldn't be shiny anymore.

Oddly enough I think when using that code, an actual shiny Pokemon would show up as normal colors :P
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
5069-5089-2020
#7X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/18/2013 9:24:50 AM
Kurumiee posted...
There's such a thing as an action replay. I'm not here to tell them what they should and should not do, like a parent would, but it's not healthy to stare at a screen all day to find a Pokemon that is of a different colour than what it''s supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love to have a team of shiny pokemons, but I don't mind getting them hacked. Of course, the feeling of having a legit one, might be more special, but do you really want to spend a week doing the same thing over and over again? As if hacked shinies are in any way different than legit ones, besides that of course.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/Shinto/Bull%20Misc/x001-649x_zps7054d48a.png

100% legit, all of them. From japanese events I've been to or ones in the states like the ones from Gen III Pokémon Center in NYC and such.

25% of those you see there are shiny, probably more as I've been hunting/finding/looking for ever since Ruby/Sapphire since I couldn't bring my shinies from Gen II over.

I hate hacks, I hate clones, I hate cheats. I only trade within friends I know don't cheat (in person) or with myself (which is why I have some games in doubles like 2 english Leaf Greens).

Now I didn't spend every waking moment to get them. So the excuse of "It takes forever" is bull. Especially when it got much easier from Gen IV and onward with the shaking grass or the latest shiny charms.

If you think it takes too long to find one that you REALLY want then fine. Cheat. Good for you. I rather be proud of my Pokémon and see them as "trophies" or whatever you want to call them than look at them as "HAHAHA I entered 32987453985 2389764329876 23987562398465238 23987562398754629857 cheat and got a shiny Pikachu!"
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#8CakeOfLiesPosted 7/18/2013 9:27:17 AM
Kurumiee posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

But how can one tell whether a shiny is legit or not? Someone can come to these boards wanting to trade something for a legit shiny, but in return he gets the pokemon he requested, only hacked. Can he find out?

If you can trade it or battle with it over Wifi, then as far as the game is concerned, it's legit.
Obviously, there are ways around that system (like my Drizzletoed (with 70 BP HP-grass), Technician Shroomish, and Phanpy, all shiny with the best possible IVs and Natures are all usable online. I got them all at different times, but from the same person).
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#9X_Ayumi_XPosted 7/18/2013 9:27:27 AM
Kurumiee posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

There's a new site I found out about a few weeks ago called Pokécheck. You can easily find out if they're hacked or not. Found out one of my friends hacked 1 of the 4 Pokémon I got from them.
Obviously I released all 4 just to make sure and caught the 4 of them myself to add to my box.
---
GT: Ayumi Spender ~~~~~~~~~~ PS0: 4597 9585 4793
Only talk to me when I order you to.
#10Gsus_94Posted 7/18/2013 9:28:02 AM
Kurumiee posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

That's why shinies YOU catch are more valuable. But there are ways to know if a shiny was hacked. You know, if you're a terrible hacker
---
3DS FC: 0473 7779 6792
ACNL: Melo from Besaid