This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people waste SO MUCH time trying to get legit shinies?

#31ConflagrationPosted 7/18/2013 12:09:54 PM
If I hacked a shiny Pokemon, it's no more valuable than a piece of trash. I could stick my hand into the garbage can and pick up anything random, and that's how much a hacked shiny Pokemon means to me.

The only reason I'd want shiny Pokemon is because they're rare.

This is like asking why people get real diamond rings when they wanna propose to someone instead of fake diamond rings.
#32ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 1:31:17 PM(edited)
For me, Shinies are like hats in Team Fortress 2; they sometimes look nice, and if the RNG sees fit to give you one, congratulations. They don't make a difference in gameplay, so I don't care if the guy with the hat/shiny bought it, got it as a gift, got it in a trade, got it as a lucky encounter, got it as a lucky craft/breed, got it by manipulating the RNG, or cheated for it (Though the latter two are really the same thing). Your hat/shiny won't make you any more or less likely to win.

Thus, for me, it's just as much a waste of time to cheat for a shiny as it is to (Big fingerquotes) "work" for one. If the RNG decides I'll get one, I'll get one. If I see one being traded for a reasonable offer, I'll get one. Otherwise, I'll go default.

Now to adress some posts that don't sit right with me.

pokemonfreak97 posted...
Because legitimate Shiny Pokemon prove that you put effort into something as long as you can prove that they're real. AR Shiny Pokemon prove that you know how to buy a cheat device. (And yes, even Emerald Shinies require effort)

This argument always bothered me when it was applied to IVs, and it does here too. The RNG doesn't look at you through the screen and say "Wow, so-and-so is working so very hard, I'll give him/her a shiny." It doesn't care about your skill, your knowledge, your effort, or even how much time you spend. It cares about whether numbers you have no direct influence over line up.

Statistically, it is certain many people have gotten random shinies through no effort on their part beyond turning on the game and walking in the grass, and that many who have "worked" for hours to get a shiny have never seen one. Effort plays no part.

jayman7 posted...
Why do people waste SO MUCH time playing the games when Action Replays exist and they could warp themselves straight to the end credits?!

Because playing through the main story is "intrinsically rewarding," that is, it is fun all by itself.

I and many other players, would happily explore each region, finding, catching, and raising our favorite Pokemon, searching for hidden items, battling trainers, and the rest, even if there were no end credits, because these activities are there own reward; any in-game rewards these activities yield are just icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, people talk about how the feeling of knowing your pokemon is legit is it's own reward.

Compare what you do in playing the story mode to the actions you do when shiny breeding:
Put international parents in daycare.
Walk around until RNG gives you an egg.
Take parents out of daycare.
Walk around until egg hatches.
If Pokemon isn't shiny repeat from the beginning.

You gotta ask yourself, after a while; "If there wasn't a chance I'd get a shiny from this, would I still do it?" I don't want to put words in anyone's mouths, but I think most of us would answer "no."

And that's why people who wouldn't cheat to get through the main game would cheat to get shinies.
#33MickeyRocksaPosted 7/18/2013 1:18:29 PM
Ultimate answer cause some shinies look cool
---
Fight Me.... MICKEYx 3ds FC: 4141-2356-8625 ...pm me first
feel free ......I will break you ^v^
#34Sid_StarkillerPosted 7/18/2013 1:21:39 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
Because legitimate Shiny Pokemon prove that you put effort into something as long as you can prove that they're real.

No it doesn't. I've found at least a dozen shinies since Gen 3, every (non-event) one by pure luck.

X_Ayumi_X posted...
AuraWielder posted...
I have an Action Replay, but I've only used it to get the Member's Card/Oak's Letter/Azure Flute to access locked away Pokemon in the game. And even then, I caught them legitimately.

That technically makes them hacked.

Agreed. While I'm not as against hacking as some people, "semi-legit" is a meaningless, idiotic term. You would never say "Oh, no, officer, you don't understand, that $100 bill was made by scanning an image of a real one. It's semi-legal!"
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292-6017-5477 (Sid)
Statement: Just a simple droid here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
#35ClassyOldHatPosted 7/18/2013 1:22:51 PM
Goten55 posted...
Why do I waste thousands upon thousands of hours shiny hunting? Because I enjoy it. Its not like I have anything better to do anyway. Just got a shiny Latias on White 2 on Sunday after 32 days of soft resetting, do I regret it? Nope, not in the slightest.

You enjoy it? You find the fun of the hunt worth it in and of itself? Cool.

So, would you spend 32 days soft resetting in front of Latias if there wasn't a chance you'd get a shiny from it?
#36ConflagrationPosted 7/18/2013 1:26:35 PM(edited)
^No, but there is a chance, so that hypothetical situation is irrelevant. It's the tiny chance of the Pokemon being shiny in each and every encounter that makes us excited. And when a shiny does pop up, it's extremely exciting.
#37MelkacPosted 7/18/2013 2:07:29 PM
I don't care that much about shinies. If I get one, yay, if I don't...I'll just, you know, move on.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#38NewbieN00bPosted 7/18/2013 2:11:14 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Goten55 posted...
Why do I waste thousands upon thousands of hours shiny hunting? Because I enjoy it. Its not like I have anything better to do anyway. Just got a shiny Latias on White 2 on Sunday after 32 days of soft resetting, do I regret it? Nope, not in the slightest.

You enjoy it? You find the fun of the hunt worth it in and of itself? Cool.

So, would you spend 32 days soft resetting in front of Latias if there wasn't a chance you'd get a shiny from it?

That's like saying you would enter a lottery that has no prize.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#39VIIVincentPosted 7/18/2013 2:17:23 PM
Kurumiee posted...

but I don't mind getting them hacked. Of course, the feeling of having a legit one, might be more special.

topic should have ended here folks
---
The end is nigh! *continues playing game*
#40PkmTrainerAbramPosted 7/18/2013 2:20:29 PM
Half-Ghost posted...
Yeah, I personally do think it's a waste of time if someone spends a week of constant playing (minus eating, sleeping, etc.) to get some shinies.

People play games TO waste time. I don't see why this is a thing. If I was constantly losing sleep and nutrition to level up, beat the main story, or Wifi battle, would that be better?
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Plat/HG(492/492, 3/4 Star Trainer Card,), Street Fighter 3(Xbox online sparingly)